Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Better for Spark: Android vs IOS Discussion

Tafische

Join
Jul 6, 2018
Loc
USA - Tennessee
I have both Android and IOS tablets available to me to fly my Spark. Been going back and forth trying to figure out which way I want to go. At this point, the DJI app seem to be on par with flying features on both. I do like the Android option to download offline maps vs strictly caching them in IOS.

Without getting into the general merits of each platform, which one do you find better for Spark flying and why?

Reactions: kiru
While I can’t speak for those who use Android, I will say that I’ve always used (and preferred) iOS when flying DJI products. I own several DJI quads, and use my iOS devices for all of them. I rotate between my iPad mini 4 and iPhone 8+. My guess would be that the majority of us use iOS devices, but could obviously be wrong. Outside of flying quads, I can’t imagine ever switching to an Android device.

My guess would be that the majority of us use iOS devices, but could obviously be wrong.

I'm an Android owner and the only Apple product I owned were a couple of iPods and never thought about the iPhone.

That changed when I researched the Spark a year ago before I purchased it.

It seemed that the iOS products worked better than Android so I purchased a mini4 WiFi only and I'm pleased with the large display and use.

Still love my Droids, I don't think I can do a full switch. Too pricey.

Last edited:
Android has more than 85% of the market share for cell phones. I believe it would be fair to say that MOST of the dji drones in the world are flown by Android, not iOS.

I have both

prefer to fly with Android and now OTG works on the official app its the best *however* i find firmware updates just work smoother on the Ios device

Android has more than 85% of the market share for cell phones. I believe it would be fair to say that MOST of the dji drones in the world are flown by Android, not iOS.
Hence the reason I used the word “guess”. Every single friend and colleague of mine all use iOS devices, especially when flying. Thanks for the market analysis though....

Market share really isn't the issue when it comes to writing cross platform software such as the DJI Go app. The problem for the developer is hardware fragmentation:

iOS is generally more stable and less problematic because iOS specifically equals iPhone/iPad. All recent models are nearly hardware equivalents and the vast majority are running the same version of the operating system (iOS 11).

Android, however, refers to hundreds of different devices made by dozens of different manufacturers. And each model is restricted to operating system updates by the carrier and not the device maker. So it's nearly impossible to write reliable code for all those different scenarios This leads to more frequent bugs that are harder to fix. .

When it comes to choosing a device WITHIN the Android ecosystem then market share does matter. Samsung is best choice because with so many users it gets the attention of developers. (It's not even worth fixing errors for unpopular devices that are only owned by a handful of people).

This is true for phones but even more critical with tablets. All modern iPads are rock solid but only a few Android tablcan make this claim.

I had not ever used ios prior to flying DJI drones. My experience is that ios is flawless, and android sucks. I have the Crystalsky Ultra. It is android. It is far better than other android devices I have used (several of them recommended by DJI and others), but not as good as ios. The CSU is simply brighter; really brighter. Actually, it's a great monitor for editing as well.
I realize that different android device capabilities will affect/improve the performance, but the first ios device I tried was an outdated iphone 6, and...flawless.
I can't go around chasing down the perfect android at great expense to me, then ultimately have some app cause a conflict with the DJI Go 4 app.
ios has no conflict that I have found. It's flawless.
Prior to flying DJI drones, I could careless about android vs ios. I'm not an apple fanatic.
When it comes to DJI drones, ios...flawless....pathetic brightness though.

I had not ever used ios prior to flying DJI drones. My experience is that ios is flawless, and android sucks. I have the Crystalsky Ultra. It is android. It is far better than other android devices I have used (several of them recommended by DJI and others), but not as good as ios. The CSU is simply brighter; really brighter. Actually, it's a great monitor for editing as well.
I realize that different android device capabilities will affect/improve the performance, but the first ios device I tried was an outdated iphone 6, and...flawless.
I can't go around chasing down the perfect android at great expense to me, then ultimately have some app cause a conflict with the DJI Go 4 app.
ios has no conflict that I have found. It's flawless.
Prior to flying DJI drones, I could careless about android vs ios. I'm not an apple fanatic.
When it comes to DJI drones, ios...flawless....pathetic brightness though.

I don't even bother to fly unless I've brought my sun shade. I made my own using heavy duty poster board and covering with black duct tape. Not a perfect solution but only cost me $2 compared to $500 for Crystal Sky. I'm hoping DJI offers the option of an RC with built in screen that resolves all these issues. Would be worth the added cost

I don't even bother to fly unless I've brought my sun shade. I made my own using heavy duty poster board and covering with black duct tape. Not a perfect solution but only cost me $2 compared to $500 for Crystal Sky. I'm hoping DJI offers the option of an RC with built in screen that resolves all these issues. Would be worth the added cost
DJI does offer built in screens, and those screens are 1000 nit, which is double the brightness of a typical iphone. These are available on the Phantom 4 pro, and Phantom 4 Advanced.
Some people use sun shades even with the Crystalsky. I don't see a reason to.
I have made my own sunshades, and I've bought others. In my opinion, only two styles work. the first is the long rectangular like tube of Hoodman, and the more typical sun shade. Regarding the latter, instead of having a back wall at 90 degrees to the monitor, it is at less than 90 degrees (the angles vary to accomodate the depth/height of different monitors). I have yet to find anyone who produces these. You have to make these yourself. I have, and they work well; largely because they get rid of all glare.

This is not just a forum for USA drone users. It is VERY international, so the 85% number is still valid.

This is not just a forum for USA drone users. It is VERY international, so the 85% number is still valid.
85% is a number for smartphone users, I guess.

This is not a valid number for DJI drone users. I suspect that iOS devices, running go4 app, may be a lot more, than 15%.

Me, for example. I have an android phone, an android tablet, but I fly my drones with an iPad mini 4, and an iPhone 6. I have some friends, who bought iOS devices, exclusively for their DJI drones, also.

Reactions: RPL

I got this one for about $10 on Amazon, it's very nice and really easy to put on the iPad Mini and to fold up and store in my carry bag.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076WW3SQN/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I read someplace that the DJI team all use apple products more than droid.... I suspect some of the other comments, like the consistency of the OS vs Hardware on the apple side is also why stability might be greater.

Reactions: Andre Levite
I have both Android and IOS tablets available to me to fly my Spark. Been going back and forth trying to figure out which way I want to go. At this point, the DJI app seem to be on par with flying features on both. I do like the Android option to download offline maps vs strictly caching them in IOS.
Without getting into the general merits of each platform, which one do you find better for Spark flying and why?
A discussion Android vs IOS (or PC vs Mac) is always infected by religious beliefs ...

I am not very happy with IOS or iPhone, but very happy with Android. (Actually, I have had problems with the Wifi om a few iPhones - which may be a problem with using them in conjunction with flying a Spark.)
With that said, one must bear in mind that the Android world is very "multifaceted" and diversed. Not only varies the hardware, some manufacturers also tampers with the Android system. Which means using your DJI with IOS/iPhone may be more "predictable".
My guess, however, is that a modern Android phone with the latest software from DJI will work fine.
I use a Huawei (Android 8) and a Siswoo (Android 5) phone with my DJI Spark, so far without any problems. (I also wanted to try with an old iPhone 4s, but it didn't seem to work.)

I read a test with a comparison between a Samsung Galaxy S5 vs iPhone 5s, which implied a much better signal with the Samsung. For what it's worth.

A discussion Android vs IOS (or PC vs Mac) is always infected by religious beliefs ...

I am not very happy with IOS or iPhone, but very happy with Android. (Actually, I have had problems with the Wifi om a few iPhones - which may be a problem with using them in conjunction with flying a Spark.)
With that said, one must bear in mind that the Android world is very "multifaceted" and diversed. Not only varies the hardware, some manufacturers also tampers with the Android system. Which means using your DJI with IOS/iPhone may be more "predictable".
My guess, however, is that a modern Android phone with the latest software from DJI will work fine.
I use a Huawei (Android 8) and a Siswoo (Android 5) phone with my DJI Spark, so far without any problems. (I also wanted to try with an old iPhone 4s, but it didn't seem to work.)

I read a test with a comparison between a Samsung Galaxy S5 vs iPhone 5s, which implied a much better signal with the Samsung. For what it's worth.

iPhone 5s is a absolute dinosaur. Over 5 years old. No longer part of the modern iOS landscape.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delf