Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Can I fly my spark at -15 celcius ?? Would you guys do it ??

It's been done...keep batteries at room temp prior to flying

I've flown at -20C no problem, I just let it warm up inside for a couple minutes. Flight time is reduced though, plan accordingly

I’ve done it several times but the batteries do not last very long. 8 minutes or less. Don’t fly really far away though...you might not be able to get back home.

The batteries warm up during flight, you can monitor the temperature in the GO 4 app.

At very low external temperatures, it may be a good idea to attach a layer or two of silver foil around the battery. Such that more generated heat remains within the battery.

I would be interested to learn of how much of a difference it makes at -20 degree C or so. In both flight time and monitored battery temperature.

IIRC, the Spark won‘t take off if the battery is too cold at start (software check).

Reactions: Victoria
I believe that the cold is not a problem, yes you need to keep the battery warm and the flight time may be a bit shorter but that's a minor problem.

But around freezing point (0 degree C) is another deal, it's probably quite damp outside and you get ice buildup's on the props that will show up as engine errors.

I just flew 2 batteries at -35C in 5 km wind. Did not notice anything unusual. Just keep the batteries warm. Do not put it down on the frozen ground for take off, batteries drop in temperature too quickly and the error prevents take-off. OMG........Do not put your batteries in the oven!!!!!! That is insane, oven temps can fluctuate enough to cause catastrophic results. These are lithium ion polymer batteries and can explode. Put them on the dash of your car with the defroster blowing WARM air is ok, but do not put the batteries through extreme temperature changes. You will kill them.

-19°F no issue, like others said keep the batteries warm.
Also don't forget windchill factor as well as different temps at altitude. It may be 32°F at ground level but at 400 AGL with the wind it can much much colder.

Windchill only affects flesh. Machines do not feel windchill. Temperature may change with altitude. I think if you get it running it will keep itself warm enough no matter how cold.

The manual specifies operating temps 0 - 40c. I think its evident you could fly in colder temps with no issues, however I would be very cautious. If you're under warranty and have mishap in sub freezing temps, good luck with that claim!

I just checking my logs and -2C outside, I know is not that much cold. But temperature went from 17C to 34C I think is a lot in cold weather.

Airdata UAV - Flight Data Analysis for Drones

Then I think we don't need to worry about power cut. Meybe more about ice on propellers?
Its a good point as that is something that could crash you, but I have never seen ice on my props. 35 minutes flight time today at -35C with a Phantom 4, No ice. Never fly if you notice ice forming on them.

Its a good point as that is something that could crash you, but I have never seen ice on my props. 35 minutes flight time today at -35C with a Phantom 4, No ice. Never fly if you notice ice forming on them.

Okay, its a Phantom.. But still not entirely off topic..
I watched your video and have never experienced this problem you have had. We have flown Spark, Phantom 3 Advanced, Phantom 4 and Inspire 2 extensively at -20C and often to -35C. In winter we dont get much above-20 for about 3 months but still need to fly. We do not fly the Inspire below -20 because of issues with the landing gear sticking up and battery life dropping off. Most recently flying the P4 and Spark at -35 they seem unaffected as long as the batteries are kept warm pre flight. Never had issues with focus,

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nixontabis