Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Canceled my Spark order!

@Xanth I'm gradually gaining confidence in my Spark. I had it out about 1,110 feet at an altitude of 200 feet, with 15 mph winds. The gimbal limitation doesn't bother me as much, because I about that prior to purchase.

@Xanth I'm gradually gaining confidence in my Spark. I had it out about 1,110 feet at an altitude of 200 feet, with 15 mph winds. The gimbal limitation doesn't bother me as much, because I about that prior to purchase.

No complaining about limitations that were known before purchase? Is that why most women don't buy quads?

Until about 15 minutes ago I would have agreed with all of this, but after updating RC and drone firmware and resetting & relinking the controller, I was just able to fly the Spark 2000 ft with clear video and full control while my phone was connected to the controller via wifi. I also tested gestures and they all worked flawlessly.

I've requested a refund for my Spark mainly due to the limited video signal range (and a dodgy led but I would/could live with that). When you say "but after updating RC and drone firmware and resetting & relinking the controller", would you mind explaining that a little? I updated to the current firmware when mine arrived plus I've reset the wifi connection using the two beep method but still I lose signal no more than 300 ft out. I've tried wifi and otg connection between the RC and phone/tablet. Was there anything that you did that I might not have done?

Thanks.

I've requested a refund for my Spark mainly due to the limited video signal range (and a dodgy led but I would/could live with that). When you say "but after updating RC and drone firmware and resetting & relinking the controller", would you mind explaining that a little? I updated to the current firmware when mine arrived plus I've reset the wifi connection using the two beep method but still I lose signal no more than 300 ft out. I've tried wifi and otg connection between the RC and phone/tablet. Was there anything that you did that I might not have done?

Thanks.

The only possible difference is that you didn't specifically say that you updated the firmware on the controller too, and whenever I reset the wifi, I wait for three beeps. Of course, after that, in order to use the controller you have to reset the link to the controller by waiting for one beep and then doing the button-mash linking procedure explained in the manual. Followed by wifi-linking your smart device to the controller.

One other minor difference is that I did my drone update using Assistant 2. Don't see why that would matter, but full disclosure.

Ironically, I requested a refund for the same reason as you and was told that I would have to pay some unknown amount to cover DJI's original shipping cost. Now that my Spark is working well, I still don't think it's worth the money, but I have to decide if keeping it is better than paying $50-100 for nothing. So, I've listed it on Ebay and locally with no interest from anyone (except fraudsters).

So everyday I wrestle with this purchase, realizing that for a handful of selfie shots, I'm paying as much as the iPhone 8 will cost. I'm not broke, but given all that, owning a Spark still seems very hard to justify.

People on this forum are quick to argue against the idea that the Spark is worthless, but that's a straw man. No one thinks it's worthless, but my guesswork math adds up to every shot that it is uniquely able to get costing $20-50. Something to stew about for the remainder of the 14 day return window.

Reactions: aviscomi
Nice post.. I did do all that you mention, the only thing that I haven't done is to reset the RC/Spark wifi at the field. I will try that later.

What I don't know nor do I think it's out there yet is whether, when the RC/Spark bind, does it take account of local wifi noise and set the channel and frequency appropriately for ever more or whether it changes in real time to suit the flying environment noise. Front line DJI reps also don't appear to know and I've also been told by the chat support that it's not possible to manually select 2.4/5.8 let alone a channel yet a DJI rep responded on FB to me asking me to do just that. I did ask him how but he's yet to respond.

I love the Spark and all its teeny cuteness, quality, etc. but I hate the camera settings limitations and obviously the video range. If they sort that out, I would keep it as despite having a fantastically sorted Mavic in all sense (they do definitely vary), I do see a use for the Spark too. If I had to get rid of one, it would without doubt be the Spark.

I've emailed DJI three times now without a response about sending it back for a refund, I guess they're pretty busy atm. I have a case number as my 7 days is up tomorrow.

Nice post.. I did do all that you mention, the only thing that I haven't done is to reset the RC/Spark wifi at the field. I will try that later.

What I don't know nor do I think it's out there yet is whether, when the RC/Spark bind, does it take account of local wifi noise and set the channel and frequency appropriately for ever more or whether it changes in real time to suit the flying environment noise. Front line DJI reps also don't appear to know and I've also been told by the chat support that it's not possible to manually select 2.4/5.8 let alone a channel yet a DJI rep responded on FB to me asking me to do just that. I did ask him how but he's yet to respond.

I love the Spark and all its teeny cuteness, quality, etc. but I hate the camera settings limitations and obviously the video range. If they sort that out, I would keep it as despite having a fantastically sorted Mavic in all sense (they do definitely vary), I do see a use for the Spark too. If I had to get rid of one, it would without doubt be the Spark.

I've emailed DJI three times now without a response about sending it back for a refund, I guess they're pretty busy atm. I have a case number as my 7 days is up tomorrow.

Manually selecting the wifi band and channel is handled right in the Go app. It also shows you how much interference there is on all the possible channels. Looking there may help you to see if there's a signal quality problem.

I requested a return within 24 hrs of receiving it. It took them 4 days to reply, and I now have an RMA number, but their email clearly states that the return window is 14 days, not 7. In the meantime, I fly it everyday to see what it might be able to offer that the Mavic doesn't. It's a pretty short list so far. Not to mention that flying only the Mavic puts ~$700 back in my pocket. Then I see all the posts from people bemoaning that their Spark won't arrive for weeks, and suddenly, returning it feels like ingratitude. That said, if mine were flying as poorly as yours, it'd be gone yesterday.

Manually selecting the wifi band and channel is handled right in the Go app. It also shows you how much interference there is on all the possible channels. Looking there may help you to see if there's a signal quality problem.

Yes, I know that all the settings are there but nothing I do will actually change the frequency or channel. I've tried every permutation and it always reverts back to 5.8ghz. Have you managed to change frequency and get it to stick? If so, how did you manage it?

Yes, I know that all the settings are there but nothing I do will actually change the frequency or channel. I've tried every permutation and it always reverts back to 5.8ghz. Have you managed to change frequency and get it to stick? If so, how did you manage it?

It's squirrelly because every time you make a change you have to reboot everything, but I just touched the number on the screen that I wanted, and then you have to hit the Apply button at the bottom and then reestablish the connection. Though if you're having trouble getting to the 2.4 frequency I would first recommend just doing the 3-beep reset. I'm pretty sure 2.4 is the default.

It's squirrelly because every time you make a change you have to reboot everything, but I just touched the number on the screen that I wanted, and then you have to hit the Apply button at the bottom and then reestablish the connection. Though if you're having trouble getting to the 2.4 frequency I would first recommend just doing the 3-beep reset. I'm pretty sure 2.4 is the default.

Unfortunately not, mine defaults to 5.8. I have tried the 3 beep reset but no joy. I am in the UK so I don't know whether that have any bearing here or not.

Unfortunately not, mine defaults to 5.8. I have tried the 3 beep reset but no joy. I am in the UK so I don't know whether that have any bearing here or not.

Can't say, but if you think it's going to make the Spark unusable then I recommend you act quickly. My experience with DJI today left me thinking that they're getting inundated with return requests. I've never been abruptly disconnected in a chat before, but when I started to list the many problems that warranted a refund that's what they did.

@Ender found a way to get 2.4ghz to stick here: Manually select frequency band with RC

Even that's a pain as you have to do the process on each new battery. I guess there's a chance that DJI will fix this in future firmware updates.

It's too windy here to fly at the moment but hopefully I might get the chance tomorrow. If it works and I get decent range, I may cancel my refund request, which I started before my 7 days were up.

Spark non-combos are readily available now here so I have asked if they will accept just my Spark back for a refund and I'll buy a new Spark and keep the combo items but I suspect they'll say no to that. One front led is dodgy, it's really dim compared to the others so I would need to live with that or exchange it but DJI Holland won't say whether I would get a new one in return (not recycled) or if they even have any replacements in stock yet.

Overall not a fantastic situation..

Jim,

Purely out of interest, when you say that you love your Spark, can I ask if you are having any video loss issues or do you not fly it that far away from you?

Thanks.
I have video loss, OS, even when it's 2 feet from me.

I cancelled my Spark order as well, but went for the GoPro Karma instead. After thinking about it, I really wanted a setup where I could shoot photos and video on land, in the water and in the air. The Karma setup is perfect for that. Yeah, the Karma is way behind in tech to the DJIs, but that's not really an issue for me. Hope everyone has fun with their Sparks!

I cancelled my Spark order as well, but went for the GoPro Karma instead. After thinking about it, I really wanted a setup where I could shoot photos and video on land, in the water and in the air. The Karma setup is perfect for that. Yeah, the Karma is way behind in tech to the DJIs, but that's not really an issue for me. Hope everyone has fun with their Sparks!
I assume that when you mention "shooting photos & video" in the water" you will be taking the GoPro off the Karma gimbal and using it...correct?

.... I noticed some new things for the first time. Like how significant that missing 3rd axis on the gimbal is. Even the smallest turn created a real shake. And in sport mode it felt like a bird strike....
This is good information and very disconcerting. I expected more; currently flying a Parrot Bebop while waiting for Spark to become readily available and work out the initial problems. The Bebop produces very smooth video using electronic stabilization but is limited to 1080P. I was really looking forward to the small form factor of the Spark.

This is good information and very disconcerting. I expected more; currently flying a Parrot Bebop while waiting for Spark to become readily available and work out the initial problems. The Bebop produces very smooth video using electronic stabilization but is limited to 1080P. I was really looking forward to the small form factor of the Spark.
Not sure what your budget is, but the Mavic would be a real nice upgrade for you instead of the Spark.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers