Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Canceled my Spark order!

Freerdr17

Join
Jun 14, 2017
I ordered a Red Fly more on the 5th of June Fromm DJI's online store. It would have been my first drone and I was eager to get it. After a lot, and I mean a lot of reading I've decided to cancel my Spark Flymore, and just order a Basic Mavic Pro kit. I may end up with a spark someday, but I feel that I'll be more satisfied with a Mavic at this time.

Edit: I ended up ordering the Flymore Bundle. I'll just have to fly an extra line or two this month!

Last edited:
You cant go wrong with either one. As a first drone, the Mavic cant be beat.

To each his own. DJI differenitates each drone enough to serve different consumers. I sent my Mavic back, and love the Spark. Others will prefer the Mavic. They are both the best in their respective categories.

Good call! The Spark is amusing. The Mavic is amazing!

With one caveat. Neither one is worth a penny if you don't fly it. And I found what it took to get me to fly a lot was DJI Refresh. I hate to add another $100 to an already busted budget, but for a first drone, nothing beats crash insurance.

To each his own. DJI differenitates each drone enough to serve different consumers. I sent my Mavic back, and love the Spark. Others will prefer the Mavic. They are both the best in their respective categories.
Jim,

Purely out of interest, when you say that you love your Spark, can I ask if you are having any video loss issues or do you not fly it that far away from you?

Thanks.

Peter

I haven't had any video loss issues out to 500 meters which is as far as I've flown it. I'm running on the 5.8 band and it's been solid for me.
I would prefer to be able to slow the gimbal speed when panning up/down like on the Mavic, but didn't see that option.

Thanks Jim.

I'm with you on the gimbal speed.

I can't get 100m away without losing video entirely (I did get to 150m just once), I've tried many things suggested by DJI but all to no avail so it looks like mine will have to go back, which is such a shame as I really like it. I've been a mile with the Mavic and it was rock solid, it inspires confidence, unlike my Spark at the moment.

I ordered a Red Fly more on the 5th of June Fromm DJI's online store. It would have been my first drone and I was eager to get it. After a lot, and I mean a lot of reading I've decided to cancel my Spark Flymore, and just order a Basic Mavic Pro kit. I may end up with a spark someday, but I feel that I'll be more satisfied with a Mavic at this time.

Edit: I ended up ordering the Flymore Bundle. I'll just have to fly an extra line or two this month!
Very wise choice, especially since its your first drone. Seems like most of us here are prior or current Mavic/Phantom owners and we are expecting the same performance from the Spark.

Very wise choice, especially since its your first drone. Seems like most of us here are prior or current Mavic/Phantom owners and we are expecting the same performance from the Spark.

I'm not looking for Mavic level of performance, I would be happy if my Spark performed as advertised, i.e. video connectivity for at least 500m.

Have you flown yours yet? Any issues?

I'm not looking for Mavic level of performance, I would be happy if my Spark performed as advertised, i.e. video connectivity for at least 500m.

Have you flown yours yet? Any issues?
Yes I've flown mine (I actually have 2). My initial flight was indoors and the video latency was terrible, which I attributed to the 3 separate WIFI routers that I have in my home. 2nd flight was outdoors and video latency wasn't as prominent. The next day DJI release an update which helped. Since, I've been flying my Spark via OTG cable from my RC to phone with no issues. My longest distance thus far has been about 1,400 feet and 200 feet high

Yes I've flown mine (I actually have 2). My initial flight was indoors and the video latency was terrible, which I attributed to the 3 separate WIFI routers that I have in my home. 2nd flight was outdoors and video latency wasn't as prominent. The next day DJI release an update which helped. Since, I've been flying my Spark via OTG cable from my RC to phone with no issues. My longest distance thus far has been about 1,400 feet and 200 feet high

Nice..

I also cancelled my Spark Fly More order yesterday. I am not liking what I am reading about some of the initial problems, especially for Android users. I figure I will wait at this point for the Mavic 2.0 before I decide on my next drone.

If I recall the Mavic Pro had quite a few problems when they first arrived. Most of them were flying related, and DJI kept adding firmware updates until most of these problems were corrected. Of course, a lot of Mavics had been sent back by then.

Own a Mavic Pro, traveled with it to Montego Bay, no issues,. Ordered Spark fly more in BLUE . canceled it TODAY! Happy w my Mavic Pro.

Own a Mavic Pro, traveled with it to Montego Bay, no issues,. Ordered Spark fly more in BLUE . canceled it TODAY! Happy w my Mavic Pro.
You'll surely enjoy the added benefits of the Mavic.

I own a Mavic and have also ordered the Spark. From everything I've seen on the Spark, it will be easier to take with me when I travel for work (which is a LOT). Can't wait for the Spark to get here so I can prove that to be the case. Amazon is saying July 7th is estimated ship date.

I own a Mavic and have also ordered the Spark. From everything I've seen on the Spark, it will be easier to take with me when I travel for work (which is a LOT). Can't wait for the Spark to get here so I can prove that to be the case. Amazon is saying July 7th is estimated ship date.
Let me throw caution to Mavic owners that are buying a Spark, mind you I have purchased 2 of them. Please be aware that the Spark is not any where near as reliable as the Mavic in terms of flight behavior, video transmission, etc. I would also highly recommend the purchase of a RC to use with the Spark.

I make the above statement(s) based on my experience with the my Spark vs. my Mavic, along with reading posts here and on the DJI forum. Yes, I understand that the Spark is meant to be an "entry level" drone, but I think that most of us current/prior DJI drone owners have become accustom to the reliable/predictable flight characteristics of our Mavics/Phantoms. This is where the first time drone buyers have the advantage when buying and flying the Spark, they (first timers) haven't had any exposure to other DJI platforms.

All the above are just my opinions.

Oh an update to my prior post...this is a reply/post to a thread on the DJI Forum from a DJI Moderator:

"Glad your drone did not get hurt. Once you get the remote, you can then have a strong control on the Spark."

Post#8
Crashed Yet? I have.

Let me throw caution to Mavic owners that are buying a Spark, mind you I have purchased 2 of them. Please be aware that the Spark is not any where near as reliable as the Mavic in terms of flight behavior, video transmission, etc. I would also highly recommend the purchase of a RC to use with the Spark.

I make the above statement(s) based on my experience with the my Spark vs. my Mavic, along with reading posts here and on the DJI forum. Yes, I understand that the Spark is meant to be an "entry level" drone, but I think that most of us current/prior DJI drone owners have become accustom to the reliable/predictable flight characteristics of our Mavics/Phantoms. This is where the first time drone buyers have the advantage when buying and flying the Spark, they (first timers) haven't had any exposure to other DJI platforms.

All the above are just my opinions.

Until about 15 minutes ago I would have agreed with all of this, but after updating RC and drone firmware and resetting & relinking the controller, I was just able to fly the Spark 2000 ft with clear video and full control while my phone was connected to the controller via wifi. I also tested gestures and they all worked flawlessly. Very nice, but...

There is still no comparison between the Mavic and the Spark. If it's an either or decision, IMO there is no decision.
Since this was the first time I've successfully flown the Spark like a real quad, I noticed some new things for the first time. Like how significant that missing 3rd axis on the gimbal is. Even the smallest turn created a real shake. And in sport mode it felt like a bird strike.
Add to that things like no video in gesture mode and no gimbal feathering, and the Spark falls further and further behind. Speaking of which, what is the point of a follow-me gesture if it won't film you while it's doing it?

The Spark is fun, no doubt, and if you can afford it, buy all the drones, but nothing comes close to the Mavic.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme