Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Can't Charge Remote

bobandris

Join
Jul 9, 2018
Is there a special cable to go from the end of the "three flight battery board" to the bottom of the RC. The jack on the bottom of the RC is different than any plug I have.
Many Thanks,
Bob
IMG_5243.JPG

Hello bobandris.

There is not a special cable.
It's a standard USB to micro USB cable.

It's a micro USB port similar to most charging devices.
The port on the back of the Spark in the SD card area is the same type of port.

Once I got the orientation correct, I marked the plug so I'll know every time which way is up.

20180729_182133.jpg

20180729_182621.jpg

20180624_031138.jpg

Last edited:
The port is a Micro-A USB port, which is compatible with the Micro-B plug that phones use, for example. Just be careful when you insert it, as it doesn't have the notches to prevent incorrect orientation.

No idea why DJI elected to use this port, and I think it is a terrible oversight. Many have forced the cable in backwards and broken the pins.

Oh also: the charge cable should be plugged into the power brick, not the port at the end of the "3 battery board". That Jack is for firmware updates which never happen.

Oh also: the charge cable should be plugged into the power brick, not the port at the end of the "3 battery board". That Jack is for firmware updates which never happen.
Thanks supr and all others. I plugged an adapter cable, with a full size USB plug on one end, into the end of the power brick and the other end of the cable, with a micro usb plug, which I plugged into the bottom of the RC. All worked great.

Thanks again,
Bob

The port is a Micro-A USB port, which is compatible with the Micro-B plug that phones use, for example. Just be careful when you insert it, as it doesn't have the notches to prevent incorrect orientation.

No idea why DJI elected to use this port, and I think it is a terrible oversight. Many have forced the cable in backwards and broken the pins.
How to fix/replace the port as I'm in the same situation. Tks!

How to fix/replace the port as I'm in the same situation. Tks!

The micro USB charging port on the Spark remote attaches to the main printed circuit board. It's nearly a complete teardown to get to it with several delicate ribbon cables and shielding film in your way. Then you need to either solder a new port on the main board (risky) or replace the board its self (expensive). Then you have to put it back together without breaking it.

I suspect there are no YouTube videos demonstrating this repair because the success rate is so low unless you're a professional.

You could get a quote from ThunderDrones by searching this site or the Mavic Forum. Otherwise a new remote is the remaining option.

Major design flaw for DJI to use a frail port with no orientation cues and then make repair nearly impossible.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme