Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Charging 3 batteries in DJI Charging Station WITHOUT Spark possible?

Chrislaf

Join
Oct 12, 2017
Loc
ON, Canada
I have the DJI Charging Station, which I love, and 4 batteries. Is it possible to charge a battery in the spot that holds the Spark WITHOUT the spark - just the battery? I realize that the battery would not be held in place so I would not be able to move the Charging Station in this situation but was wondering if it is possible. If I try this would I risk damaging either the Spark, a battery or the Charging Station?

Would be interested to here if anyone has tried this.

Chris

I don't have the station, but it seems like it would work.

If the one in the center is loose because of no Spark, a small piece of spongy foam placed on top between the battery and the lid may hold it in place for transport. Be mindful of the terminals.

Is there a button that the Spark depresses when sitting in the charger to charge that one first?
You might have to trick the charger into thinking the Spark is there?
Unless it detects the Spark through the circuitry of the battery being connected to it.

I don't have the station, but it seems like it would work.

If the one in the center is loose because of no Spark, a small piece of spongy foam placed on top between the battery and the lid may hold it in place for transport. Be mindful of the terminals.

Is there a button that the Spark depresses when sitting in the charger to charge that one first?
You might have to trick the charger into thinking the Spark is there?
Unless it detects the Spark through the circuitry of the battery being connected to it.
It charges the Spark battery by the 4 square contacts on the bottom of the Spark battery. There are 4 small spongy contacts on the charger - weight activated, where the Spark sits.

Chris

Give it a test.

Will do when I get a chance to fly again. Too windy right now.

I tried it, sadly it doesn't work.

Since there is not Spark connected to it, the battery may not charge through the 4 contacts on the bottom.

The batteries on the sides charge through the terminals, correct?

I tried it, sadly it doesn't work.
Thanks for trying it. I haven't had a chance to try it as all my batteries are charged. I was skeptical about it working though because sometimes when I put my Spark in the charging station, it will briefly turn on the Spark. The fact that it always charges the Spark battery first regardless of the how depleted the other two batteries are likely means that the contacts on the bottom of the battery have some kind of circuitry in them to tell the station to charge the Spark first and without the Spark it doesn't work.

Oh well! Would have been very convenient with 4 batteries.

Chris

Reactions: Spark 317
I have one of these chargers that I picked up awhile back from Banggood to charge a single battery, but I don't like using it because it is difficult to plug into the Spark battery and when it is finished charging the battery, the battery registers an error. The few times I have used it, it hasn't damaged the batteries. Maybe, I should give it another chance. I could plug it into the Charging Station USB port and then have all four of my batteries charged in the field at the same time.

Chris
IMG_2253.jpg

I have one of these chargers that I picked up awhile back from Banggood to charge a single battery, but I don't like using it because it is difficult to plug into the Spark battery and when it is finished charging the battery, the battery registers an error. The few times I have used it, it hasn't damaged the batteries. Maybe, I should give it another chance. I could plug it into the Charging Station USB port and then have all four of my batteries charged in the field at the same time.

Chris
View attachment 11269
Yeah, I probably wouldn't be using that either.

All, one more question on the charging station: I realized that if you place the Spark together with the battery (attached) in the charging station, the Spark can accidentally be switched on by the button on the battery (button is pressed by the housing in the charging station). Did you ever experience this ?
Thanks and regards.
Costanzo

All, one more question on the charging station: I realized that if you place the Spark together with the battery (attached) in the charging station, the Spark can accidentally be switched on by the button on the battery (button is pressed by the housing in the charging station). Did you ever experience this ?
Thanks and regards.
Costanzo

No that's not an accident. The Spark switches ON and then turns off on its own. Actually the station is programmed in such a way that even if you place the Spark in turned on condition, it automatically powers off and starts charging. The "accident" you are talking about may be just a test sequence of this feature. Even I thought it was an accident before learning about this feature.

Thanks and regards.
Costanzo
Mine does that too and it always turns off. Nothing to worry about.

Chris

Chris
View attachment 11269

dont ever use that garbage usb charger.. why it will over and under charge your batts.. think about it your taking a usb charger 5 votls upping it to 15 volts.. b ut your usb only puts out max 500 mah of current and dji batts needd like 2-5 amps each.... these chargers are garbage and i dont know why people keep buying them dont belive me youtube it some guy did a test it coulnt even charge it .... or something like that.. just use your spark to charge it.... or a charger made for it.. dont use that garbage one

Reactions: sparky markie

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef