Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Cheap mobiles suitable, reliable ,for DJI or litchi.

Chaz2b

Join
Jan 1, 2019
I’m looking for a suitable phone around 5.5” screen, that would make a good reliable platform for our control software, either DJI go 4 or litchi or both.
Must be reasonably priced, not the excruciating prices of iphones.
If this has been discussed before then a link to that thread would be great.
I have already an iPad 8”, but it’s really too big plus taking it outside is something I don’t want to risk.
My other phones are Sony Xperia L1 and Samsung 19000,Samsung is old so a non starter,and I’m not convinced the Xperia is that suitable either.
Any pointers to anything you’ve had experience with I will happily look at.
Many thanks for taking the time to read this,happy new year.

Chaz

Hello from the Hoosier Heartland, Chaz2b.

Here is link to help make a decision.

Good luck and Welcome to the Forum.:cool:

Hi, thanks for the link:) happy new year.

Chaz

If it doesn't need to be an actual phone ... how about a repurposed TV remote control? The 6" tablet displayed in that link is one I received with the purchase of TV a couple of years ago. It's a fairly generic Android tablet, and it worked much better with the Spark RC than I expected. I get to leave my phone in my pocket. Details in that link can be found below "On a somewhat related note ...", including where to find them.

Tracfone LG Fiestva2, it's found cheap, it's 5.5" screen and I think Android version 7.0

Hi there, Brand new member here and I have been looking for the same answers, That list that was given link of in the above post is great but i really wonder if it is only good for the Phantom drones? or any of them with DJI 4 go on it.
I say that cause in the past week I have purchased, taken back and tired several devices. some with luck some w/o
My every day carry straight talk phone the Moto G6 ( same as the play as far as i know) 5.7 inch screen but its longer then wider. android 8.0 1,8 ghz octa-core 32gb internal mem.

My old 5.5 Samsung Sky J7 pro is lot wider and looks better with the app. they both run it perfectly on wifi and with a OTG cable. android 6.0 16gb 1.4ghz quad core

I have a Older Grand prime and Edited:i played with it more today and got it to work on wifi,. The charging port is to messed up to get the cable to work with it, didn't fly with it only played with on the bench.

I have tried the following tablets.
Samsung Tab Elite 7" Connected great wifi or OTG cable but no picture at all. 1.3 ghz 16gb mem and 8gb ram

Next book ares 8" Connected wifi or OTG cable worked great for the alp but took back cause the tablet ran slow in general . 1.92 quad core 16gb onboard mem 1gb ddr3L mem

I now own a Levono 8" 1.3ghz quad core tablet works on wifi perfect but for the life of me can not get to connect using OTG cable. i have tried like 3 different cables. Android 7.0, 16gb mem.

hope this helps you out some, as i have had a very hard time finding something that will in fact work with the DJI 4 go app. I want to be able to hard wire it for lot better range. the levono tablet seems the best out of all 3 so far the battery life is AWESOME. but not being able to hardwired it i'm most likely going to take it back too and get money back. Gotta love walmart 14Day return policy.
Honeslty i wanted a bgger screen and ordered a tablet holder mount for the Sparks controller should be here today. the J7 sky pro is a nice phone fits pefect in the holder on the controller but mine is old and beat and kept going black screen on me, its not its fault i abused it when it was my daily carry phone.

I myself can not afford any of the $200+ products that dji folks are recommending.

Last edited:
Thank you for that extensive reply, seems you are really trying, which is good.
I did watch a YouTube vid of an American guy who seems to be very much into giving sound advice with our Sparks, his recommendation for Android phones is to stick with 5.1 as it seems the most stable. I cannot vouch for the Phantom as I don’t possess one, but , worth ago?
The other thing to note, is a phone with a minimum 1g of RAM.

Hope that helps,
Chaz

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme