Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Checklists - Preflight and RTH

AlanTheBeast

Join
May 31, 2017
Loc
Montreal
Some of you know my checklists for the Mavic Pro which are also (with some adjustment) applicable to the Phantom 4 Pro.

I'm posting the links here for one or more of you to plagiarize as you see fit - and hopefully adjust for the Spark and re-post as a proper Spark checklist. Indeed the Preflight list is one I plagiarized from another MP poster and (I think) improved. Since I haven't bought a Spark I don't think I'm best to do the edits.

The Preflight Checklist is in the PDF attached (apologies that it wasn't properly attached before)

The RTH Checklist.

Attachments

• Alan's-checklist.pdf
    30.8 KB · Views: 1,256
Last edited:
I'm new here. Should have searched for checklist before I started my... checklist. I'm going to plagiarize everything I can from
Some of you know my checklists for the Mavic Pro which are also (with some adjustment) applicable to the Phantom 4 Pro.

I'm posting the links here for one or more of you to plagiarize as you see fit - and hopefully adjust for the Spark and re-post as a proper Spark checklist. Indeed the Preflight list is one I plagiarized from another MP poster and (I think) improved. Since I haven't bought a Spark I don't think I'm best to do the edits.

The Preflight Checklist is in the PDF attached (apologies that it wasn't properly attached before)

The RTH Checklist.
I'm new here, so I didn't look for checklists before... starting my checklists. I've started an Aircraft-style checklist and will steal all I can from yours! My goal is to have four pages of checklist on one page (two each side) and then laminate and use a dry-erase marker. I worked in the business side of Aviation for a few years and attended Safety Committee meetings monthly and shift safety meetings about six times a week. I know the checklist is our friend (I needed it today, nothing major, but an annoyance, hence the fire under my *** at the moment). And personally, I don't think using the checklist is a "weak" way to fly or a "crutch". I think I'm new like a lot of folks, and the easy part is handing over the credit card. The hard part is flight management and safety.

I do have a related question, though. How much checklist is "too much checklist" (you know, like "more cowbell")? I suppose if you're dedicated to the checklist it doesn't matter how long it is... the steps are the steps. I'm breaking mine into day/evening before, morning of flight, flight, and post-flight. Who thinks that's crazy? Like I said, I'm new, so flame away!

Oh, and AlanTheBeast, thanks for great working materials. I'm probably just OCD on making it look like an FAA-style checklist and actually using the pen, but hey, if I do that I won't F*** up... as much. Cheers!

I'm ready to be flamed for my first draft... the "Night Before" checklist. If its good, tell me. If its shite, or too much, or your dog won't let you kick him/her, tell me. Looking for honest feedback both on the checklist, and the use of checklists in general.

Please note... this is not designed to be printed on 8.5 X 11 paper, its designed for printing two virtual pages to a single sheet of paper, landscape mode, and the next two virtual pages to the back, etc. If I was smarter, I'd know how to get my fancy printer to do that, but once I have a "release" version I will go to the office supply store, have them put the two virtual pages onto the appropriate fronts and backs, and laminate. The finished product I have in mind is an 8.5 X 11 laminated page with two pages of the PDF on the front, and the next two pages on the reverse. Make sense? Be brutal... I am new, but I can take it.

Oh, and I did steal a little of AlanTheBeast's mojo... give credit where credit is due. Thank you sir/maam. This is my 0.1 version, so be gentle!

Attachments

• Church Spark Checklist v0.1.pdf
    141.4 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:
OK, I'm Checklist Crazy Now. But crap, these are the real steps! This seems like overkill to me, but its stepwise, and I don't know what to kill. Landing and Post-Flight Checklist pages to come. Seriously, is this necessary or is it my OCD kicking in? Flying this **** is hard!

Attachments

• Church Spark Checklist v0.2.pdf
    153.9 KB · Views: 157
Good list.
Should check SD card space as part of night before checklist. It sucks to get to the location and realize you are almost out of space.

Good list.
Should check SD card space as part of night before checklist. It sucks to get to the location and realize you are almost out of space.
Thanks for the feedback. I have a prototype that I had laminated last night at Staples. When I picked it up today, I was very pleased. $10 for laminating five physical pages, perfectly trimmed. I opted for the extra heavy laminate and am glad I did... it holds up in my hand. Punched a hole in the top, added a book ring, now its time to see how practical it really is.

If anyone here wants to try it, PM/Conversation me and I will e-mail you a copy that's printed at the 8" X 5.5" size. It prints two vertically on a landscape page, side by side. I wouldn't want to make it larger, and its still small enough to be convenient. Just using a dry-erase marker on the laminated version. Its cool... lets see how long it takes for me to stop using it! Oh, still looking for feedback on checklist use, and on my checklist. This is just a prototype. Thanks!

Attachments

• Checklist Prototype.jpeg
    Checklist Prototype.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 127
Reactions: Andy-Spark
I also have a laminated card I use for pre-flight reminder. (Turn the camera on!!!)

Another thing you might want to check out are the flight Log Books at Field Notes. I picked them up when I started flying my P2. It's nice to look back on your flights.... 3 pack for $12.95 US.

I'm a note taking nerd and have used Field Notes books for years. Fit in your pocket, and they last.

View attachment 3756
Wow. My checklist worked well for my trip to Costa Rica, but even at half-page size it was kind of a pain. And, of course, I had to wipe it when done. An actual LOGBOOK and CHECKLIST makes a lot of sense.

I'm going to buy the recommended checklist. Would love to see your laminated card, I think a card plus this logbook/checklist would be a great combo. Thanks for sharing!

I also have a laminated card I use for pre-flight reminder. (Turn the camera on!!!)

Another thing you might want to check out are the flight Log Books at Field Notes. I picked them up when I started flying my P2. It's nice to look back on your flights.... 3 pack for $12.95 US.

I'm a note taking nerd and have used Field Notes books for years. Fit in your pocket, and they last.

View attachment 3756
I ordered four packs. They are in short supply and will not be reprinted according to Field Notes (maybe the authors will have a new one?).

A friend borrowed the laminated check list, to copy / refine it. I'll snap a pix when I get it back. It's actually a "let's be ready for flying' list to make sure I have everything in my bag. I use the log book for actual pre-flight and post flight.

Yeah, the books are (as a friend says) handier than a pocket on a shirt! Adam Savage (of Mythbusters fame) was the inspiration for the log books, found one day when I was watching his videos and he talked about making a log book (watching Tested videos means falling down a rabbit hole for me....).

I'm considering doing the Part 107 test, so getting in the habit of a log book just made sense to me.

OK, I'm Checklist Crazy Now. But crap, these are the real steps! This seems like overkill to me, but its stepwise, and I don't know what to kill. Landing and Post-Flight Checklist pages to come. Seriously, is this necessary or is it my OCD kicking in? Flying this **** is hard!
Well, after forgetting to stop recirdingand having a corrupt file after the last 2 flights I would suggest adding : Stop Recording: to your checklist prior to power down.
Hope this helps someone as dumb as me

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav