Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Choose The Best Online FPV Drone Simulator

ponylee

Join
Jun 23, 2020
With all the online FPV drone simulators, which one is the best one for your commitment level, skill, equipment, and your end goal? While using an offline or online FPV simulator may help improve your skills overall by allowing you to form a muscle-memory. This is really a way to learn the basics if you never flew before and/or maintain your piloting skills when you can’t get out to fly. It is definitely the best way to decide if the hobby is for you by learning the skills needed to not crash the first pack you fly in real life. Online FPV simulators can be a real training device by allowing pilots to practice a track or even create their own. This allows the pilot to have a “muscle memory” of the track before they fly it for the first time.

I started with FPV Freerider just for fun a few years ago but this year I decided to get serious with flying FPV so I bought Velocidrone after reading a lot of great reviews about it. Had it not been for the skills I attained in Acro flying after a good number of hours of practice with it, I wouldn't be flying my quads today. So many times I either read about or saw someone in a video say "learn to fly in a simulator" and kind of shrugged it off but now I know for a fact that a simulator is a very useful tool and can be entertaining as well. I now own Liftoff as well. Each of the simulators I have mentioned have their merits but Velocidrone as far as I see it still is the best. It offers the best variety of scenery as well as drone selection and tweaking that I have seen. It is well worth it's price.

I was looking at the different simulators - have no clue which one to try. I only own DJI products right now (Mavic Pro Platinum, Phantom 3 Adv, Spark), but the FPV drones sure look cool! Do I have to buy a remote control for an FPV-type drone to use with the simulator, or can I just use the keyboard to start out? If I get an RC for an FPV drone, how does it connect to my PC?

As far as I know, the use of a standard remote controller is the best way to use one of the sims. I started out with a FlySky FS-i6 controller myself which is not too expensive and I had to buy the correct connecting cable to connect it to my PC and the cable was around $7.00 back then too.

I started out with the FPV Freerider simulator which at that time was $4.99 and I think the basic version still is at that price. There are quite a few simulators out there and it is basically one of those "you get what you pay for" type things.

I was interested in FPV before I bought my Spark and since the new style of flying "cinematic FPV" came around, my interest was renewed. Flying with the goggles on is so much fun. There are FPV quadcopter bundles out there with inexpensive goggles, a controller and a small quadcopter with brushed motors that can be bought for around $150.00 that will get you started flying pretty quick but you still should practice in a simulator first.

If you have never flown a toy quadcopter with a basic stabilization flight controller then you will have a lot of flying to do to get used to manual flight. Flying a quadcopter in "Acro" mode is nothing like flying a DJI drone. It will not stay at a desired altitude on it's own and every movement basically requires a counter movement. It's not hard to learn though but takes some getting used to.

There is a free version of FPV Freerider for Android in the Google Play store that I use on my phone. It uses virtual joysticks to control the quadcopter. I does have a stabilized mode called "Horizon Mode" that makes starting out much easier. I don't know if there is an iOS version or not. I also have this simulator on my 10" tablet which is a lot of fun as well.

There is a lot of videos on YouTube that can show you what you need to get started so if you are really interested in FPV, you should look for some of them. Maybe search for "FPV for Beginners" or something similar. Really, it is a ton of fun. I'll stick around if you have any more questions.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef