Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Choosing a device to demagnetize a compass

Regina_M

Join
Nov 5, 2019
Hey. I magnetized the compass of my drone in the car. I drove my drone next to the subwoofer. Has anyone used this device? Does it help?-.jpg

I assume it's similar to this item, the Cfixer.

People on this forum have used it with success.

I see the one pictured above is advertised as a watch demagnetizer and sells for around $11-$14 USD. Sure is cost effective IF it works.

This guy bought one and said it appears to work (skip to 2:58) and the drone no longer gave Compass Error message after degaussing; Low cost demagnetizer

Read another post on MavicPilots saying the same unit was effective on his drone.

Let us know if it fixes your compass problem, Regina_M.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spark 317 and Haggi
It should work fine. It's called a degausser. The Cfixer is a huge ripoff as I see it for over $60.

Reactions: Regina_M
I have this item from the days of VHS tapes.

Screenshot_20191107-104654_Chrome.jpg

Is it the same thing?

It's basically an electromagnet that realigns the magnetic particles on the tape.

I'm afraid this thing may toast the Spark of I used it.

View attachment 11847

Is it the same thing?

It's basically an electromagnet that realigns the magnetic particles on the tape.

I would not use a device like that, doesn't it just scramble the magnetic particles, used to erase tapes? Just big magnets inside?

I think (could certainly be wrong) a proper degausser work a little bit different.
I've always imagined it to have some sort of "pulse" where the polarisation goes from positive to negative really quickly. Hence the need of powercord and a low humming vibration when used.
They are widely used in workshops to de-magnitize verniers and other tools.

Correct me if I'm wrong ?

Amazon lists Spark 317's tape eraser is AC powered and a picture showing the AC plug. "Electromagnet" denotes its magnetic field is the result of electric current flowing through a coil around a core. My concern would be from using a degausser many times more powerful than, say, the CFixer and leaving it on too long. Otherwise, it should work.

Reactions: Regina_M
Yes. It is a very strong magnetic field.

The VHS Tape inside the cassette vibrates from the field as all of the north / south poles are aligned on the tape to erase the content.

I think I'll purchase the watch demagnetizer above if needed in the future if it works to be safe.

View attachment 11847

Is it the same thing?

Put a smile on my face. I used to have one of those too and it also came from "Rat" Shack. I have fond memories of that store.

Reactions: Spark 317
Put a smile on my face. I used to have one of those too and it also came from "Rat" Shack. I have fond memories of that store.

I miss Radio Shack.

Remember the TRS-80 model 1?

Had to load programs via a cassette tape from a tape recorder.

That was high tech stuff back then. Lol.

Reactions: I B Spectre
I miss Radio Shack.

Remember the TRS-80 model 1?

Had to load programs via a cassette tape from a tape recorder.

That was high tech stuff back then. Lol.
I sure do, I owned one. Thought it was hot stuff when I programed the screen to change colors. That was back before my DOS days. As a kid a got a Radio Shack AM radio kit for Christmas along with a soldering pencil. I believe it was that kit that stirred the electronics bug in me. It has cost me a fortune through the years in "toys", LOL.

Find a TV repair shop in your area. Call and ask if they have an old color TV degaussing coil. Then ask if you can bring your drone to the shop and have them degauss the drone. It was necessary to degausse the old sets with CRT's. Do not use the magnetic tape eraser. The tape eraser is designed to align all the magnetic particles in one direction. A tape eraser is a just a strong magnet. You have already done that by placing the drone dear a strong magnetic field. A degaussing coil uses AC current in a large coil. Start by turning on the deguassing coil then bring it close to the drone wave it over the top, bottom and sides then pull the coil away 5 to 6 feet holding the coil broadside to the drone then rotate the coil 90 degrees to the drone before turning off the coil. Here is a link to a DIY degausiing coil:
Follow the instructions carefully!!!

Good luck, ~ Bill

Reactions: Haggi and Spark 317

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme