Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Circle near-crash ... why?!

cah

Join
May 29, 2018
Hi,

I was at a monument today and I decided to try the Spark's auto-Circle feature today (for the first time, I'll say)

This video shows what happened. Things were going just fine until the Spark decided to make a crazy beeline right towards the monument. It was only because I interjected at the last minute that it didn't hit it.

The flight data (< link) shows the track and how it went wrong, and also shows the point where I manually stepped in.

The box it asked you to draw around the object was around a triangle of the top pointy bit of the monument.

Does anyone have any idea what went wrong, or perhaps what I did wrong? As you'll see from the flight data, it didn't report any errors and had a solid GPS and signal throughout.

I have always assumed Spark was not able to do Circle or Helix that high up :eek:
All I got where some "Visual Positioning(?)" errors ?

Were you inside the top of the monument? I was wondering if so, there was interference with from the brick work. Did it try to rth to that top part?

No, I was on the ground - if you look at the flight data you can see where I was and the home point.
The home point wasn't even in the direction it started heading.

I guess the lesson is to keep a really careful watch on all the activetrack activities and your fingers on the controls :(

I guess the lesson is to keep a really careful watch on all the activetrack activities and your fingers on the controls :(

You are so right about that!

Looking at the footage your spark was not circling smoothly, it may have been experiencing strong gusts of wind, not present at ground level where trees & buildings form a wind break.

Hi,

I was at a monument today and I decided to try the Spark's auto-Circle feature today (for the first time, I'll say)

This video shows what happened. Things were going just fine until the Spark decided to make a crazy beeline right towards the monument. It was only because I interjected at the last minute that it didn't hit it.

The flight data (< link) shows the track and how it went wrong, and also shows the point where I manually stepped in.

The box it asked you to draw around the object was around a triangle of the top pointy bit of the monument.

Does anyone have any idea what went wrong, or perhaps what I did wrong? As you'll see from the flight data, it didn't report any errors and had a solid GPS and signal throughout.
It was aliens... lol. I like the video, I think sparky had the right idea. Wish I could help, but this has never happened to me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
schmidtrobert