Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

JoostGT3

Join
Nov 9, 2017
Loc
Netherlands
So the other day I was flying with my "bird" over the river near my hometown.
Just cruisin', as the weather was quite ok for the first time in days, but nothing special to film.

I spotted a real bird in the distance, and tried to get a bit closer, but I could have never dreamt of how the footage would turn out!

I hope you'll enjoy the film just as much as I did! Definitely made my day!

Just cruisin', as the weather was quite ok for the first time in days, but nothing special to film.

I spotted a real bird in the distance, and tried to get a bit closer, but I could have never dreamt of how the footage would turn out!

What beautiful footage!

Awesome footage! Glad he didn't get any more interested than that!

Reactions: JoostGT3
Notice how the 3 axis gimbal on the bird of prey works perfect. Lol.

No matter the angle of the bird, he was eye balling you the whole time.

Awsome shot.

Awesome footage! Glad he didn't get any more interested than that!

Thanks!
So true. I was surprised to see it get so close anyway! On earlier occasions, I found that buzzards would clear the scene as soon as the drone would show up. During the nesting season they can get fiercely territorial though, even attacking people when they come too close to the nest. I have no doubt that -if that had been the case- it would have come in for a second run after the first surprise encounter!

Reactions: ELD.visuals
Notice how the 3 axis gimbal on the bird of prey works perfect. Lol.

No matter the angle of the bird, he was eye balling you the whole time.

Awsome shot.

Haha yeah, I noticed that as well. I hadn't seen it when it happened, and also not when I looked the footage back on the iPad. But when I looked at the footage on my laptop and slowed it down, I was sooo pleasantly surprised! I didn't think the bird would be in focus, and when I found out it was, and looked at its curiosity/surprised expression I was over the moon!

Thanks!
So true. I was surprised to see it get so close anyway! On earlier occasions, I found that buzzards would clear the scene as soon as the drone would show up. During the nesting season they can get fiercely territorial though, even attacking people when they come too close to the nest. I have no doubt that -if that had been the case- it would have come in for a second run after the first surprise encounter!
While waiting for my Spark to arrive I watched a ton of Youtube videos on mistakes flyers would make so that I could hopefully learn from them. One particular series I watched was all about birds of prey attacking people's Sparks. There is a TON of incidents where this has happened. Shortly after that I found myself flying in a local nature preserve where there are dozens of local buzzards. I was very nervous every time one came around and would bring the Spark back in closer so as not to suffer the same fate lol.

I thought it was this, a Peregrine Falcon.

Not to be confused with the Millennium Falcon.:p
Ah ok! Yeah, we have peregrine falcons as well, but they have a completely different silhouette:
Falco_peregrinus_-Morro_Rock%2C_Morro_Bay%2C_California%2C_USA_-flying-8.jpg

Very cool!

Yikes - almost too close for comfort. We're just entering nesting season for eagles and osprey here in Oregon - always looking not to disturb however can't wait for one to come over and take a look.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EmirOmerov