Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Connecting RC with OTG cable

That has been my experience too, as i mentioned in the first paragraph of post #2. I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who has no problems getting everything to connect :D

Up until about 6 months ago the order of connection was critical to success - but since that update the order doesn't seen to matter... At least not with iOS devices.

Makes me wonder how many OTG connection "problems" are just outdated posts resurfacing (or incompatible Android devices).

Up until about 6 months ago the order of connection was critical to success - but since that update the order doesn't seen to matter... At least not with iOS devices.

Makes me wonder how many OTG connection "problems" are just outdated posts resurfacing (or incompatible Android devices).

I think you're onto something Andre. I've used 3 different Android devices (Samsung Note 8, HTC One M8, and the Vizio XR6P10) and have not had any issues with power-up/connection order with the latest version (4.3.8 across all 3 devices).

So OTG and android are also working just fine for most people? It may be an old post but i read something about missing information like height, distance etc using OTG.

I have two android devices S9+ and a G7 ThinQ so hopefully it will work on atleast one of them.

Last edited:
So OTG and android are also working just fine for most people? It may be an old post but i read sonmething sabout missing information like height, distance etc using OTG.

I have two android devices S9+ and a G7 ThinQ so hopefully it will work on atleast one of them.

I haven't found that any information is missing when using the OTG cable with Android. I get the exact same info as with a wi-fi connection to the remote.

Hi all new spark owner, UK based can anyone recommend an otg cable to use with my Samsung s9? Thanks

The brand I purchased isn't available in the UK, but I'll make one suggestion anyway ... if you think you'll need a 3rd party mount to hold your phone on the RC, get at least a 10"-12" (25-30cm) cable.

So OTG and android are also working just fine for most people? It may be an old post but i read sonmething sabout missing information like height, distance etc using OTG.

Old Post information. All should be good now unless you have a finicky Droid.

Read this.

Hi all new spark owner, UK based can anyone recommend an otg cable to use with my Samsung s9? Thanks

Hi. I'm using a Note 8 and the mistake I made initially when researching this subject was ordering a USB Type C OTG adapter, which only resulted in the phone charging the RC.

The OTG needs to be at the RC end of the chain, so ordered this instead and it works flawlessly :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00LN3LQKQ?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

Hope that helps

Hi. I'm using a Note 8 and the mistake I made initially when researching this subject was ordering a USB Type C OTG adapter, which only resulted in the phone charging the RC.

The OTG needs to be at the RC end of the chain, so ordered this instead and it works flawlessly :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00LN3LQKQ?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

Hope that helps
Sorry - meant to add - I use the original Note 8 usb / charging cable at the other end of that chain.

Reactions: Blondini
When I use my OTG cable, I lose all battery and GPS info..Anyone else experience this, and discover a fix? Using a Galaxy Note 8, android oreo...

I fly without an OTG adapter.
I bought one and see no difference between using it and not using it. Please note that I do not fly great distances but since the OTG connects the mobile device to the controller that distance is constant, ie, 3 to 6 inches .
I use a Note8.
I have tried to learn what active components are in the OTG with no luck. It seems to me that, presuming there are active components in the adapter, that the orientation of the OTG is important. That is it should "face" one way or the other.
Can someone help me better understand please?
I'm having the same problem , I found out if the device is not rooted the otg cable wont work

If you are using a Note 8...there is no "orientation ". The rc side only fits one way, and the note 8 uses a Usb-C connector. It can fit either way.

I have a Note 8, but rarely use it to fly my Spark*. I also have a cheap 6" Android tablet (see my sig) that I've dedicated to that purpose. I do, however, have the DJI GO 4 app installed on the Note 8, and it works fine with the OTG cable. In my experience the order of connecting and turning on the RC doesn't matter, but my normal startup routine is to plug the cable into the device and RC, turn on the RC, and wait for DJI GO 4 app to automatically start.

Once in a very great while, the app doesn't auto start and when I launch it, it indicates that it's not connected to the RC. Unplugging and re-plugging the cable into the Note resolves that immediately.

My Note 8 is running Oreo 8.0, Samsung Experience 9, is not rooted, and I get the same results whether USB Debugging is enabled or disabled in Developer Options.

My observations on this forum are purely anecdotal, but I rarely see US-based Samsung users having problems. I know that the US versions all have Qualcomm Snapdragon processors, while the non-US models use Samsung's own Exynos processors. I can't help but wonder if that's related.

* My Note 8 doesn't fit the grips with the case it's currently wearing and I don't want to remove it every time I fly. I've since purchased a mount that may make the Note 8 a better option, especially in bright sunlight.

OTG works fine here. Galaxy S9+ (Exynos) with Oreo and just updated to Android 9.0
LG G7 with Android Oreo.

Quick Question, about the actual connection. I just got my Spark it works great connecting to my phone WITHOUT a cable. BUT I wanted to get a Cable. (Note-8, Spark RC) I got a USB-C to Micro-USB . However when I look at my RC unit the connection at the bottom is rounded on all sides, NOT a USB-C and does not have the normal FLAT side like a Micro-USB connection. Is there something that is INCORRECT or does this just mean the Micro-USB can go into the connection in either direction (right-side up or Upside-Down).

I apologize if this is a strange Question and maybe it has been covered and I do not have a Picture of what I am talking about BUT will post one shortly.

The port on the RC IS micro-USB, but it's poorly designed from a visual cue standpoint. The flat side of the plug on the cable should face downward when inserting it into the RC. If you examine the port with a magnifying glass, you'll see the tab with the contacts positioned near the bottom of the socket. Look at the plug, and you'll see the slot that the tab inserts into close to the flat side. Crappy pictures below ...

20190205_090437 (Medium).jpg20190205_090607 (Medium).jpg

Last edited:
or does this just mean the Micro-USB can go into the connection in either direction (right-side up or Upside-Down).

Bad design on DJI's part but the cable only goes in one way. If you plug it the other way it will damage the RC connector.

20180729_182621.jpg

20180729_182133.jpg

THANKS everyone, That is what I thought, and the problem I had initially is that the plug did not go in very easy.....which is one reason they switched out the USB-C since it can be used similarly to a lighting cable and not wear out the connection socket, Like has been done on many a Samsung phones. AGAIN thanks for the info and humoring me on my lack of knowledge.

I was having a lot of trouble getting the RC to even detect that my phone or tablet (both android) were connected to the usb port. I tried connecting my phone to my desktop Win10 computer and got a menu that gave me several options for which kind of usb connection I wanted to use. I didn't know which one was the right one, so I chose "File Transfer". when I connected to the RC again, I was able to connect in the Go 4 app - something that I'd never been able to do before without the wifi connection to the RC. I even made sure I was in airplane mode. The only problem is that I didn't get any video. Everything else looked ok, but no picture from the Spark's camera. I'm not sure if this is because I chose the wrong usb mode or not. I'm given the option to choose charging, file transfer, MIDI, software installation, and I think one more but I can't remember what it was (they're not available to check right now). Any ideas?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Johny parker