Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Connection phone-controller-spark confusion

Multikoe

Join
Sep 2, 2018
I have been trying to understand the basics behind the phone-controller-spark connection. Maybe someone can help me with this.
These are the question I have:
- The phone connects to the controller by WiFi (the controller emits its owb wifi network, with its own SSID). Correct?
- The controller connects to the Spark by using a WiFi signal. Correct?
- Question: is this a WiFi network broadcasted by the Spark or by the controller? I think it is the Spark, as you are also able to connect your phone to the Spark with WiFi
- If connected to the controller, the WiFi settings in the DJI Go4 app control the WiFi connection between the controller and the Spark?
- If the above is correct, how come I don't see two WiFi networks on my phone, only the controller-Wifi?

I am a bit confused as I do not understand why an OTG cable would make any difference to the range of the Spark. The range should be affected by the WiFi signal between the controller and the Spark only. But I am surely missing something :)

From my own experience and previous reading, Although the Spark does, indeed, "transmit" it's own WIFI, you can't "see" it if it (Spark) is connected to the controller. One or the other, not both. I believe You must reset the WIFI in the Spark to re-enable the WIFI to connect to the phone instead of the controller once the controller has been paired.

The WIFI "transmitted" by the controller ( which you would connect the phone to) is very weak and only has a range of about a foot away from the controller.
The OTG cable off-loads some of the WIFI which is used for the video feed from the Spark that is what "seems" to help some with range before losing video. So, as you suspect The actual range of the " control" connection is not affected but the cable could and does help with video range/performance.

During a WiFi connection, both devices are emitting and receiving at the same time.

If spark is connected to a controller, you cannot see Spark's WiFi ID, it's hidden.

Go4 app, controls ac-rc connection.

An otg cable, connects RC with device, and usually has nothing to do with range. Some claim that they have less lag with otg, and that video quality of cached video, is better. Especially on android devices.

I went through all of this, all day yesterday.
I thought you had to get both the Spark and controller connected.
It about drove me nuts...

Once I reconnected the controller to the Spark, put the phone in airplane mode, open the wfi and connect to the controller...
and FLY.
(and... it's on a Galaxy S3.... not the tablet)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast