Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Controller Antenna replacement NOT range boosters

Anyone have / had this antenna replacement? How true is it?
Seems ok for the price. I'm going to be doing my Mavic 1 with boosted amp's.

I think with the Spark the standard antennas are pretty good. The Spark is just standard WiFi and the antenna inside the spark is the problem I've found.

Nothing wrong with trying it I suppose. I'm wondering if there is a way to feed the Sparks internal antenna by drilling a hole and feeding the wire somewhere out.
If I'm pretty far out and I turn spark so it's facing me the signal drops out, so if I could feed the antenna wire so it's on the outside that would probably make the signal better with a controller antenna like this.

Seems ok for the price. I'm going to be doing my Mavic 1 with boosted amp's.

I think with the Spark the standard antennas are pretty good. The Spark is just standard WiFi and the antenna inside the spark is the problem I've found.

Nothing wrong with trying it I suppose. I'm wondering if there is a way to feed the Sparks internal antenna by drilling a hole and feeding the wire somewhere out.
If I'm pretty far out and I turn spark so it's facing me the signal drops out, so if I could feed the antenna wire so it's on the outside that would probably make the signal better with a controller antenna like this.

This video shows a guy doing exactly what you described...

DJI Spark - External Antenna Mod

It's seems like a lot of work (and a voided warranty) just to gain some range.

The antenna isn't the Spark's problem anyway -- it's so severely battery constrained that you'll never reach the functional range of your fancy antenna anyway. Seems like a waste unless you just like to tinker around with stuff.

A better solution is to get a Mavic Pro -- and you already did that!

Let us know how it works out :)

Reactions: Gavieboydgi
This video shows a guy doing exactly what you described...

DJI Spark - External Antenna Mod

It's seems like a lot of work (and a voided warranty) just to gain some range.

The antenna isn't the Spark's problem anyway -- it's so severely battery constrained that you'll never reach the functional range of your fancy antenna anyway. Seems like a waste unless you just like to tinker around with stuff.

A better solution is to get a Mavic Pro -- and you already did that!

Let us know how it works out :)
Yeah the batteries do limit the Spark, I wasn't after the range it was just to make the video feed stronger by not having the antenna in any blind spots.

Reactions: Andre Levite
Yeah the batteries do limit the Spark, I wasn't after the range it was just to make the video feed stronger by not having the antenna in any blind spots.

I use a $10 parabolic antenna "booster" -- it may not be as powerful as rerouting the antenna wire -- but it sure is easier and cheaper (and no extra holes drilled in my AC).

The other thing that helps is to constantly turn your body so that the antenna are facing the exact direction of the drone as it moves. And i try to avoid aiming through trees -- so increased altitude often helps.

None of that stuff matters with the Mavic but the Spark is a weakling in comparison.

Reactions: Gavieboydgi
The Spark is limited in range compared to the faster Mavic Air. The Air also has better WIFI reception..but...I think it comes with a price. I think the Air is troubled more with WIFI interference. I say that because I do a lot of filming in the same location and I constantly have signal loss with the Air that I don't have with the Spark. The Air has a better camera and gimble, and it fly's better than the Spark but you can't get good video when you are losing the signal over and over. Soooo...I'm wondering if boosting the signal is really going to accomplish anything more than getting more interference...let me know.....Please

The Spark is limited in range compared to the faster Mavic Air. The Air also has better WIFI reception..but...I think it comes with a price. I think the Air is troubled more with WIFI interference. I say that because I do a lot of filming in the same location and I constantly have signal loss with the Air that I don't have with the Spark. The Air has a better camera and gimble, and it fly's better than the Spark but you can't get good video when you are losing the signal over and over. Soooo...I'm wondering if boosting the signal is really going to accomplish anything more than getting more interference...let me know.....Please

The parabolic boosters will improve the stability and range of the signal. The only way to know if that is sufficient to overcome background interference is to field test them.

It has made a huge difference for me no matter where I fly. It's the best $10 I've spent on this hobby

Have you done the FCC hack that will help alot.
The cheap parabolic way just beams the the signal straight to the drone so you have to really have the antenna pointed straight at the drone. If you angle away just a little that is when you get disconnected.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit