Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Controller Won't Charge

Autodrome

Join
Oct 22, 2019
Hello,

I recently purchased a DJI Spark (sold to me as new never flown) and have run into a few problems. First, I am unable to charge the controller. When I connect the charge cable no lights appear, however the odd time I do get the charging lights to come on but they flash at the first two only. I have let it go for several hours but it will not get past the first two lights. When i try to turn on the controller with on the on/off button, no lights appear except for a momentary dim flicker.

Secondly, the menu button in the upper right seems to have been stuck. Initially it did not click at all, I have since been able to free it up somewhat so it now can be pressed to a degree, but it does not feel the same as the other buttons.

That's only the controller, I'm almost scared to try the drone itself.

Any ideas?

Hello Autodrome and welcome. Sorry to hear you’re having issues with your new Spark. If it’s possible to return and recover your money I would to it. If not or if you want to see if you can get it working yourself, try a new cable from the charging brick to the RC. I’ve read that some were having problems with the port on the RC itself, usually from trying to plug the cable in upside down. As far as the sticking button, that is an assignable button for different function and not absolutely necessary. I wouldn’t address that issue until you have the RC fully charged.
Mean while , you don’t need the RC to test the Spark. Make sure the battery is fully charged and either use your phone/tablet or gesture control to give it a test flight.
Please let us know how things work out.

Try as above suggestions.
I did once have a problem with my controller not taking a charge, similar to yours. I tried a different charger and cable and it was fine.
Good luck

Thanks for the replies.

I tried it again this morning and it actually got to the third light, the charging brick also got slightly warm. I then tried to power on the RC but still only got the dim flicker. I had to leave and decided it was safer to unplug it. I'll connect it later today and see if it will charge fully, and maybe that will make the controller power up.

I got it for a good deal so I'd rather not return it if it's a minor issue or something I can possibly repair myself.

For what it's worth, here is the battery from a Mavic remote.

Probably the same battery if it needs replaced.

Screenshot_20180423-174952.png

This is a still frame from a Mavic remote tear down video.

Reactions: Dragonfly Joe
Obviously DJI wants you to send your RC back to them for repair (likely will be swapped out for another "refurbished" unit). Amazon used to carry an "OEM Remote Controller Battery Replacement for DJI Spark, Mavic Air, Mavic Pro", but it is now listed as "Currently unavailable. We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock". My guess is DJI did not want them to be available and want the $65 fee (shipping included both ways). If you can find the battery, it's the 3.7V 2970mAh - Model: 973760 one that Spark 317 pictured.

Here are a couple of YT videos that show how to access the RC's innards:

Spark RC disassembly #1 does a pretty good job of showing how to get the case open, but doesn't go into too much depth beyond that.

Spark RC disassembly #2 goes into much greater depth, but poorly framed allowing you to see what he's doing only about half the time.

ebay has a Replacement Spark battery but at $65 plus $5.35 shipping, it makes more sense to let DJI do it if you can put up with the wait.

Reactions: Dragonfly Joe
Thanks for the info. I'm thinking it's either battery or likely the charge port seeing as it only indicates a charge one out of every ten times I plug in the cable, and even then I'm not entirely sure it is actually charging.

I might try firing it up with my phone to test the spark itself and then see if it's worth getting the RC issue fixed.

Reactions: I B Spectre
Thanks for the info. I'm thinking it's either battery or likely the charge port seeing as it only indicates a charge one out of every ten times I plug in the cable, and even then I'm not entirely sure it is actually charging.

I might try firing it up with my phone to test the spark itself and then see if it's worth getting the RC issue fixed.

I have had similar issues with the Spark's RC charging port. It seems to be very finicky with certain micro usb cables. I own several micro usb cables. Some fit perfect, nice and snug, while the other cables give constant disconnections. I actually thought my rc micro usb port was defective, up until recently, when I figured out that it was the cheaper made micro usb cables causing the disconnection problems. I'm not sure if this will solve your rc issues, but that's what helped mine.

Reactions: I B Spectre
I got it to charge fully but, the controller still didn't turn on! I'm addition the SSID on the drone didn't even match what my phone was seeing so I couldn't even connect to it using my phone. Needless to say that put me over the edge and I was luckily able to return it.

Now looking for a new one from a major retailer full factory warrant etc..

Reactions: Jimmy Two Times
When I put the microusb into the controller with the flat side at the bottom, to charge it, No green lights come. only a flashing red and a flashing white light, with a beeping sound a bit like when the battery is running low during flight. Any help gratefully received. Chris

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme