Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Create a Litchi Mission While Flying??

Sparky4222

Join
Apr 9, 2019
Good morning.

I just purchased a copy of Litchi and so far, without actually flying a mission, I am very impressed with the mission planning capabilities. I have designed a number of missions but have not had the opportunity to get out and actually fly them yet. I have a question and perhaps I can get some feedback from someone with experience with the app. Here's the question:

Is it possible to set waypoints and POI's while manually controlled (FPV) flight? By this I mean that there are situations where I, based on my skill level, may be able to "clumsily" fly a path but it might (read "would") look terrible cinematically due to my poor control. If I ran the same mission manually in slow motion and set waypoints and POI's as needed, saved them, and ran the mission as waypoint mission, letting Litchi smoothly control the drone, it might (read "would") look substantially better. I understand that this can be done on Mission Hub but there are circumstances where it is not feasible.

There are scenarios where, for example, due to the tree canopy, ground level features are not visible making the planning of a mission difficult or impossible. By being able to do what I describe, one could fly the mission manually while setting waypoints and POI's, then save it and 1) have it run smoothly as a mission and 2) possibly save it for future use. (The latter could even be useful for repeating identical missions during different seasons of the year, for example). Another scenario would be where the area to be flown is very tight and the drone must pass between, over, under or through difficult areas where precise control by the drone at speed might be better than manual control at equivalent speeds.

Any comments/suggestions would be most welcome.

Yes, you set the C1 button (back side of the photo button) to set Waypoint.
It will record all the values necessary to recreate that point (altitude, camera angle, etc)
Only thing you need to adjust is speed between.

Now when I tried it, it seemed to me that it would record the WP at current altitude above where the controller was.
I walked around with it to map a smooth flight changing ground elevation.
It seemed to me the altitude was off where I had changed ground level.
However, I cannot be exactly sure on that as I never tired it again.

I plan my missions on the computer mainly.
Then I run them through the Virtual Litchi Mission to test.
And even that is not right some of the time:
Ran the simulator 3 times before and it worked.
3 minutes to crash, 3 hours to recover.

Yes, you set the C1 button (back side of the photo button) to set Waypoint.
It will record all the values necessary to recreate that point (altitude, camera angle, etc)
Only thing you need to adjust is speed between.

Now when I tried it, it seemed to me that it would record the WP at current altitude above where the controller was.
I walked around with it to map a smooth flight changing ground elevation.
It seemed to me the altitude was off where I had changed ground level.
However, I cannot be exactly sure on that as I never tired it again.

I plan my missions on the computer mainly.
Then I run them through the Virtual Litchi Mission to test.
And even that is not right some of the time:
Ran the simulator 3 times before and it worked.
3 minutes to crash, 3 hours to recover.

That was a Spark, right? If that was a Mavic Pro, which has "ground radar", would it have automatically increased altitude when it "saw" the ground coming up? Or does a Litchi Mission disable that feature? Great footage! Thanks for the sharing.

That was a Spark, right? If that was a Mavic Pro, which has "ground radar", would it have automatically increased altitude when it "saw" the ground coming up? Or does a Litchi Mission disable that feature? Great footage! Thanks for the sharing.

Yes, that was a Spark.
And the reason forward sensing didn't pick anything up is because I was set to like a 60° right from forward flight so I could get the reveal - view of the strip from an intersecting draw.
The Spark "never saw it coming"

Now I have that avoidance thingy on Mavic Air that moves around objects but you have to turn it on.
It is like a flight mode.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers