Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Cruise ship drone flying allowed?

Technokul

Join
Aug 8, 2017
I going to on a cruise on 17th August you Mexico from Mobile. Am I allowed to fly on the cruise.

Also what are the risks of flying on a cruise.

I would imagine it mainly depends on the cruise operators rules.
As for risks, largely the same as normal flying, but more danger of losing your drone into the deep blue and remember if you haven't got a drone to send back your DJI care refresh if you have it is pointless

Also, you have high risk of compass error with all the steel of the boat. So don't take off or land on the deck. Hand catching will not be that easy if the boat is moving. Best would be with boat stopped. Seems more reasonable.
At your place I would do some trial at similar place before and a lot of training to fly and recover it in ATTI mode (no GPS assistance).
Good luck.

I wouldn't try an RTH if the ship is in motion.... and really risks too high for interference to fly safely.

There's a YouTube video showing Spark failure when operating off of a metal table in the backyard.

Reactions: Airtex
IMG_0991.JPG Drone use is prohibited on most if not all cruises. They will confiscate it if found. On some cruise lines they will let you take it off the ship at a port of call. This will be the crews discretion. Otherwise you will get back when you return to home port.

At sea a Cruise ship moves at a pretty good clip and you would need to have the spark in sport mode to keep up to it. Trying to use it on the ship is just asking for trouble.

Reactions: HoboDan
Most cruises that leave from the USA will not allow you to have it while you're on board. They will take it and hold it for you.
I would call to be sure of the policies your cruise line has.

I wouldn't risk it. I'd be worried about it being in someone elses hands the whole trip.

First, let me just say that I don't condone breaking any laws or regulations but I just came back from a Europe cruise and I had my spark in my camera bag. Not once did they question it thru all the bag checks they did to get on board after every port of call. I was able to fly it a few times when there's no clear sign that it's prohibited. I was told from one of the cruise guests that he was surprised they let me keep it but probably due to the Spark's smallish size and kinda odd shape, they didn't notice it with my camera gear. If you want to chance it, I would go so far as take the props off as well on your Spark. I definitely wouldn't fly it on the ship but probably when it's docked to get a good view of it. here's a raw video that I took during one of stops in Messina (Sicily)

are you on one of the older ship, magic/wonder or the newer ones, dream/fantasy? is it a US cruise? It's a shame they don't allow you to fly drones over castaway cay since that place would be magical with the footage you can get. Wonder if anyone has tried it.... anyway, enjoy.
We were on the Dream. I used the Spark in Nassau on a private charter I booked. Disney's rules strictly prohibit drones or any R/C toys. I had known Castaway Cay was a NFZ so I left the Spark in the cabin (wife insisted). I took that photo of the No Drones sign when I stepped off on Castaway. The Spark packs away so small they didn't notice it. They did take my Leatherman multi-tool when getting back on in Nassau - inadvertent diversion tactic. Flying ON the ship would be very stupid.

I've got a cruise booked on Royal Caribbean in February and they prohibit drones on board. I wouldn't recommend trying to fly one on board for a number of reasons, but I wish they would hold them on board and let you use them in port.

I have a cruise in April 2018 for a friends wedding on Royal Caribbean. Going from Sydney to New Zealand. New Zealand don't have as strict of laws on drones filming weddings so we have got permission from Royal Caribbean to be able to take both my Spark and Mavic Pro, both will need to be surrendered while on-board but I can have them back when in port which is fine by me.

Reactions: BlancoRob
The fast, simple, and accurate answer will be to call Cruise line and ask.

I have a cruise in April 2018 for a friends wedding on Royal Caribbean. Going from Sydney to New Zealand. New Zealand don't have as strict of laws on drones filming weddings so we have got permission from Royal Caribbean to be able to take both my Spark and Mavic Pro, both will need to be surrendered while on-board but I can have them back when in port which is fine by me.

That's good to know. I'm going to give them a call and see if they'll work that out for me as well. I'd love to get some shots with my spark in Mexico and Honduras. I have no problem letting them hold on to it for me while I'm on the ship.

There are good answers in this thread from real life experiences. Drones are not allowed. Flying a drone on a cruise ship strictly not allowed not to mention stupid. In some cases the crew allow you access at each port.

If you are a wedding photographer and need your equipment you can likely reason with them beforehand. If you are just an amateur wanting footage you may also reason with them with a lower likelihood of success.

If you sneak it on be prepared for them to take it just like a Rambo knife or my mult-tool. If you sneak it on and fly on the ship we'll see you in the news.

are you on one of the older ship, magic/wonder or the newer ones, dream/fantasy? is it a US cruise? It's a shame they don't allow you to fly drones over castaway cay since that place would be magical with the footage you can get. Wonder if anyone has tried it.... anyway, enjoy.
I on the carnival cruise ..

I've got a cruise booked on Royal Caribbean in February and they prohibit drones on board. I wouldn't recommend trying to fly one on board for a number of reasons, but I wish they would hold them on board and let you use them in port.
They will never let you use them in port and if you do you run the risk of very severe penalties.
Ports are customs and border zones and quite rightly subject to much tighter security controls.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulieMyers