Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Crystalsky, first Impressions

Barbara

Join
Dec 25, 2018
Loc
Algoma District, North Shore, Ontario
Got my Crystalsky along with all the requisite extras this past week. Have had some time now to get it all sorted out and thought I would share my impressions.

First off, this thing is heavy, or at least heavier than I anticipated. (more on that later)

My likes:
  • It's bright, even in sunlight, I no longer struggle to see the display (4 times brighter than my iPhone 6S)
  • display size, 5.5", means I can actually read the text in the Go 4 App, or at least most of it. (iPhone 6s has a 4.5" display)
  • Six hours of battery life, not fully tested, but at 50% battery I had used it for almost 4 hours total.
  • Much simpler to get at, manage and DL the flight log files.
First two reasons are the ones i used to rationalize the purchase, so I'm happy.

My gripes:
  • It's expensive, then you have to buy accessories. Canadian distributors for DJI were completely unfamiliar with the product and of little help.
  • Lack of documentation for setting the unit up, updating the firmware, the App and pairing everything up. One particularly annoying item was the off-line maps. It comes with none loaded, so I had to figure out how on my own. Again no documentation provided, and when I did figure it out, it wouldn't connect to Mapbox. Had to update the Go 4 App again.(I thought I had done so in my initial setup, but with my memory....) I'm still a relative newbie, so I'll chalk some of this up to my own ignorance.
  • No charger included. If you dig for it, you can find a list of compatible DJI chargers. The only reason I can see for not including a charger is that the assumption by DJI that those purchasing this expensive piece of kit are those flying more expensive DJI drone models, most of whose chargers are compatible. I initially ordered the charger for the Osmo, which was the least expensive I could find, but ended up having to order one for the Phantom, as the Osmo chargers were on back order. At least they gave me the AC cable for free. Yup, it was a separate purchase.
  • Did I mention it's heavy? (relatively speaking) This complaint is more about the mount I chose. The SunnyLife mount is an intermediate priced item. Chose it for the price point and the fact that it folds flat for storage. However, it uses friction provided by a simple nut and bolt arrangement in the joints. The weight of the Crystalsky is such that you have to tighten the bolts to such a degree to keep them from moving while in use, that once you remove the display, folding up the arm is a struggle and you can be guaranteed the bolts will loosen over time. They do include a tool kit for tightening said screws, so I think they know of this issue. Also, the fact that the USB C port on the display is covered by the mount, and therefore unusable, is well hidden in their literature. That meant ordering another cable. Finally, happy they included the lanyard. Did not think I would need it, but in the end it makes things a lot easier and is well designed, not getting in the way of fingers or line of sight.
Overall I'm pleased with the purchase and the way it works. Still exploring all it's features. I realize it's pretty locked down as far as applications, but I don't really need it for anything else. It does have a good internet browser, so I can surf and watch YouTube. I've read that there are ways to load some applications (free ones only) such as UAV Forecast, but I already have them on my phone.

If you get this far reading, feel free to ask questions if you have any.

Is it GPS enabled?

Can you use the "Find my drone" feature if you lose the Spark?

Can you you reset the Home Point to a new location if you were on a boat or walking?

Being an Android based product exclusive for DJI, like the Epson goggles I mentioned in an another post, I don't think they have these options, which is a bummer with the amount of money you spend on the product.

Is it GPS enabled?

Can you use the "Find my drone" feature if you lose the Spark?

Can you you reset the Home Point to a new location if you were on a boat or walking?

Being an Android based product exclusive for DJI, like the Epson goggles I mentioned in an another post, I don't think they have these options, which is a bummer with the amount of money you spend on the product.
The Crystalsky is not GPS enabled. It can use your IP to guestimate your location, but no celular GPS. It does have a compass and the "Find my Drone" feature works, I think. At least it will show the drones last known location on the map. Never had to use the feature, yet, so I'm not entirely sure how it's suppose to work.

It's not perfect, is expensive and has it's limitation, but it's much better than what I had been using. From what I've been able to determine, many of the features missing from it on it's original release have been added over time. Perhaps future upgrades will add more features.

DJI website says there is GPS. The antenna is between the speakers on the top. I hope this is accurate as I've just ordered a used 5.5" unit. I'm also hoping the GPS can be used by apps that can be installed on it, other than Go 4 (I don't see why not).

I read somewhere that you can choose to reset the home point to where the remote is, but it isn't dynamic. If true, only reset if you're staying put at the new location as it isn't automatic and won't know where you are when you're moving.

Last edited:
DJI website says there is GPS. The antenna is between the speakers on the top. I hope this is accurate as I've just ordered a used 5.5" unit. I'm also hoping the GPS can be used by apps that can be installed on it, other than Go 4 (I don't see why not).
You are correct. I just rebiewed the spec sheets and saw this:

What lead me to believe there was none was the fact that Google maps can't locate me. Have to check out the settings again, see what I may have missed.

Barbara, I deal with these folks, if you need a good Canadian vendor...

What lead me to believe there was none was the fact that Google maps can't locate me. Have to check out the settings again, see what I may have missed.
Not sure how google maps works, but I'm very impressed with the GPS in my iPad Mini4/ Spark. If it works as well in Crystal Sky all the better.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooNex