Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Devices???

John's Leggs

Join
Feb 17, 2019
Hiya. New guy here that just joined. Some questions for those of greater experience. Bought a Spark about 6 months ago. Enjoying it and the hobby. Thought I would just use my phone for my controller. Having meat cleavers for hands, this proved to be foolish. That said, I am using a like-new Samsung Galaxy 5. I have two and all the accessories. Is this a good phone to use with the RC? Does it function correctly with the OTG cable or stay with Wi-Fi? Seriously concerned with fly-away and other such problems. As I am recently disabled, chasing a runaway drone is out of the question. Would really like to hear from "Veteran" Galaxy 5 Android users. Please, no offense to anyone, but I've spoken to enough people guessing like I am to have me really confused. I will spend the money to upgrade to something newer if I have too. But hate to do that , as my 5's are like new. But not losing my beautiful new drone is a priority for me. Hahaha. Can anyone help the newbie? :cool:

Samsung Galaxy S5 does appear in this list with 22 user recommendations.

Yep S5 working nicely here with Android 6.0, (5.1" AMOLED display). Phone did have the tendency to overheat. So I defaulted it, always used Airplane mode, OTG now runs very cool.

The only problem is the display could be brighter but I think that is a challenge for most phones.

If you are worried about the performance/lag then you can turn off the local caching of video feed on the phone.

Samsung Galaxy S5 does appear in this list with 22 user recommendations.
I had looked at that list. The 5 only had the yellow dot on it. That was my concern because I use Go4 not Go3. From what I read most say "don't" use the OTG cable. I don't want to learn by having a fly-away. Especially since going to Outer Banks in the summer to fly the beach.

Yep S5 working nicely here with Android 6.0, (5.1" AMOLED display). Phone did have the tendency to overheat. So I defaulted it, always used Airplane mode, OTG now runs very cool.

The only problem is the display could be brighter but I think that is a challenge for most phones.

If you are worried about the performance/lag then you can turn off the local caching of video feed on the phone.
Have never tried it in airplane mode. Will it still copy my video's to the phone along with the sound? Thanks all for the help.

From what I read most say "don't" use the OTG cable. I don't want to learn by having a fly-away.
Have never tried it in airplane mode. Will it still copy my video's to the phone along with the sound?

You seem to have been misinformed about a few things. Let me clarify.
1. OTG cables do not cause fly-aways. People use them because they get a better live video feed with the cable as compared to WiFi. The cable connection between phone and RC doesn't interfere with the WiFi connection between RC and AC making it the more stable way to connect. However, if you choose to use WiFi between phone and RC, it may interfere with the connection between RC and AC.
2. Airplane mode is used to turn off cellular network and prevent any kind of disturbance, either with signal interference or due to incoming calls/sms.
3. When you hit the record button, there are two versions of the same video getting recorded, 1080p@30fps (without audio) on the SD card and 720p (or lower depending upon the downlink data connection between RC and AC) with audio on the phone memory. It doesn't matter whether you use WiFi or OTG or turn on Airplane mode or not.

Reactions: pmshop

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast