Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Did Dji release spark to early

puffert

Join
Jul 10, 2017
Just been testing the drone for 3 flights but my thoughts.

Active track is a joke. A small drone which doesnt change altitude to the target. Totally useless for skiing and MTB. Limited to 100m.. why?

Non foldable arms.. i like that its sturdy but foldable would really made it small.

A bit dissapointed with the drone. The first reviews sounded Good and the promotion videos. However no one seemed to actually tested the drone before posting "reviews". Expensive toy so far.

Hope autopilot get it to work.

Sorry to say you aren't going to find what you are looking for with any of the pro-sumer drones available today. I've been flying drones for along while (in drone years). I also snow ride, MTB, hike, and ride motorcycles. None of today's drones does a great job of being able to follow you doing any of those activities UNLESS you are in a wide open area, going SLOW, don't ski near other people where the "active track" will confuse you with another snow rider, go under trees/obstacles, or "disappear" under obstacles like trees or outcroppings...

This isn't just a Spark thing, Phantoms, Mavics, Inspires, and even the competitions Typhoon H can't do what you want very well..

I'm waiting for the day I can launch my drone and it'll follow me around a closed road-course on my motorcycle that will keep up with the 140 mph speeds down the back straight...

Just been testing the drone for 3 flights but my thoughts.

Active track is a joke. A small drone which doesnt change altitude to the target. Totally useless for skiing and MTB. Limited to 100m.. why?

Non foldable arms.. i like that its sturdy but foldable would really made it small.

A bit dissapointed with the drone. The first reviews sounded Good and the promotion videos. However no one seemed to actually tested the drone before posting "reviews". Expensive toy so far.

Hope autopilot get it to work.

I'm three flights in too, but got the Fly More combo so hoping that I get more distance with Active Track. I've heard about the 100m limit - from the launch location(!!! See Chris Rollins on YouTube, he's the only one I've heard mention that) when operating from the phone.

Haven't had a chance to really test any of the "smart" feature's so far. I've just been flying manually in Beginner mode, and I'm new to the DJI GO app... it's a bit laggy on my older Sammy Note 4 with Wi-Fi. I have an OTG cable but haven't tested the direct connection yet.

When I tried to use Active track for a few minutes, it took a while for the UI to change and then my subject kept moving directly under the drone and would immediately lose tracking... will post updates as I figure this out...

To answer your question tho, I'm glad to have it in hand and am glad it's released! Rough edges will be ironed out with updates I am hoping.

Reactions: Lintstalker
Sorry to say you aren't going to find what you are looking for with any of the pro-sumer drones available today. I've been flying drones for along while (in drone years). I also snow ride, MTB, hike, and ride motorcycles. None of today's drones does a great job of being able to follow you doing any of those activities UNLESS you are in a wide open area, going SLOW, don't ski near other people where the "active track" will confuse you with another snow rider, go under trees/obstacles, or "disappear" under obstacles like trees or outcroppings...

This isn't just a Spark thing, Phantoms, Mavics, Inspires, and even the competitions Typhoon H can't do what you want very well..

I'm waiting for the day I can launch my drone and it'll follow me around a closed road-course on my motorcycle that will keep up with the 140 mph speeds down the back straight...
The H is really good at it because it tracks the GPS coords of its controller(s), but it is limited to 20 MPH when following, so it's not great for extreme sports or motorsports. It's great for what it does, though. Best in the class. It follows you even if you go out of site.

I guess i had to big expectations. I get it that it would have diffuculty following in a crowd. Thats fine. Im usually "alone" skiing with a buddy ofpiste. :) so i thought it att least could follow in powder days on open fields. Max Speed of spark att 50kph should be fine if its high enough. :)

The same with MtB Downhill. I was expecting it wouldnt be able to follow me in tight Forrest but att least areas which are quite open and ovrer much longer then 100ft..

The good part though is that i can use it for stills of the souroundings :)

Currently the android version of the GO4 app is behind the IOS version by fare regarding these special flight mode. I was never able to make them correctly working, apart the Rocket and Tripod one. With an IOS device, they are more or less working and at least the user interface show you the parameters you are searching for and don't display some windows in chineese as I got on my Samsung S6 phone. Sooner or later, both version will be on track.
So yes, they released a little too early for vacation time, but that was more or less the same for Phantom 3 at least, took some month to get it on android as good as on IOS. For Phantom 4 and Maveric , I don't know.

Since this is My first drone. It could also be me concentrating on following shots to much. Maybe there is smarter solutions. Is it possible to establish a flight route. Like a mountain side. Tell the drone fly from top to bottom. Send it and then ski in the area and have the camera focusing on me or at least towards me? I Guess the problem is landning but spark can land in the hand right? Even dh courses the ones that are open should be able program i guess? Then just start the drone and do the same.

My Spark expectations weren't very high, but each time I fly it I do gain a bit more confidence. I think once a firmware update is released most problems will go away.

Reactions: Lintstalker
I also use this drone. Yes, it lacks functionality, but I didn't expected that so small drone will have all possible features.

From reading here, it seeems here most everyone that is not satisfied with their spark owns another DJI drone; most notably the Mavic. I think a neophyte to the drone hobby that bought a spark might be happier....

But once you own a mav or P4 with occusync transmission system, you won't be happy with the spark WIFI system.

I'll wait to see if we get some updates on this to make the automatic fligh modes work correctly.

I am personally happy with my Spark and have not canceled the order for the second one that will come after my vacation. I was just lucky to found each components in various store to have a full package.
I didn't want it for these gestures or other special flight mode. I like it for its small size and that instead of one full backpack a much smaller handbag can be used. I purchased in the past several Hubsan low cost drones for that purpose but it was not worst the money. When the Spark comes out, it was exactly what I wanted. For sure not that cheap, but cheap I tried and it has poor video (lack of real gimbal), not reliable firmware (Spark is a perfectly engineering device in comparison), not reliable operation (I lost one due to GPS handling).

Also it is much more flexible in term of how many accessories you need to take. RC can recharge from USB, Spark can recharge a battery from also USB source.
Travelling often, taking my Phantom 3 is rarely an option. But the Spark yes.
I am using a Lowepro QuadGuard Kit which is more made for FPV drone but fit nicely to Spark. It is in 2 parts that can be used independently and in one of the bag I put a cheap handbag from EBAY (there are many seller of that bag).

This give a compact setup that is modular and allow quickly to reconfigure for short or long trip.
2017-07-11 18.23.42.jpg
2017-07-11 18.24.39.jpg
2017-07-11 18.24.07.jpg

Tablet holder DIY (currently more a proof of concept, still need to improvement)
2017-07-11 18.25.00.jpg 2017-07-11 18.25.05.jpg

As minimum, this is suffisent, tablet on the cover and just wall plug USB charger. This is sufficient if you are not sure you will fly or not.
2017-07-11 18.25.39.jpg

Forget to mention that to be able to really use it, I had to buy my first iSomething iPad) because of GO4 app.

I bought mine with the expectation of having a very small drone with minimal setup able to take HD photos at a moment's notice next to me on the car seat when I need it. The best camera is the one you have with you, right? It is perfect for that. I need a controller though.

Reactions: puffert
I agree. Best is a camera which is with you. I just bought a small hardcase for my spark. Fits perfect in my avalanche backpack and my mtb backpack.

Reactions: Texy
Yes, and in less than 2 mins you can have it up in the air, photos taken and eyeballed, and the drone back in the case. It's just the best thing yet for doing that.

I vote for too early.

Mine cut off mid flight on a 3/4 full battery and was lost in a lake. 15ft up and 220 feet out while hovering. I was controlling with RC. Dropped like a rock with no warning or flight log abnormalities. DJI won't warranty. I had around 50 flights in before this incident.

I'm not going to spend any more money on the SPARK until issues have been resolved.

It was a blast right up until it wasn't.

Reactions: Glen e
Have you turned on moving backwards with active track? I move under my drone if I want it to lose me so I can do something else without the drone following me for a second. So I leave Active Track Backwards turned off until I plan to use it.
When I tried to use Active track for a few minutes, it took a while for the UI to change and then my subject kept moving directly under the drone and would immediately lose tracking... will post updates as I figure this out...

Reactions: Dronason
promised a dji mavic but smaller, what we got was a drone that when stored is bigger than the mavic in storage and with significantly lower specs.

promised a dji mavic but smaller, what we got was a drone that when stored is bigger than the mavic in storage and with significantly lower specs.
Who promised you a Mavic spec level? Did DJI says Spark is 4k ?
You forget it is also lower price.

Reactions: sassafras
That is/was not the case. All the DJI advertising I saw prior to purchasing never made that comparison.

Also with the Mavic being out less than a year did you really expect to get all the functionality of a Mavic in a smaller package and at half the price of a Mavic? If you do/did, I've got some prime lake-front real estate for sale in Florida...

Reactions: sassafras

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme