Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Disturbing news for Android users

cingleguy

Join
Nov 23, 2017
In recent news from Las Vegas electronic show DJI has announced some new equipment and products. The sad part of the news was the part that DJI will be marketing these new items exclusively thru Apple retail stores to start. The marriage of Apple with DJI has revealed it's ugliness in full color. If we all thought that the problems we have been experiencing with our Android devices were glitches in programming, not so. If Apple gets their way with DJI, which we all know they will, our problems and deletion of features have only begun. It will not take long for Apple to make sure all DJI drones will be IOS only programming, bullies like Apple and DJI will make sure Android users will be pushed out and for the consumer, we definitely can forget about any customer service, as if there was any to start with, any problems with programming or lost features will be dealt with as usual, we are working on it. They have already proven that with the OTG connection, half a dozen updates since it didn't work and still not working. The stench of rotting apples is truly making its way into the drone business and it seems to be coming from the DJI headquarters.

Well, if so it will open a hole in the market and maybe we'll get some competition. I think it's more likely DJI doesn't like spending money on software testing resources and one of the ways this shows up is they prioritize and Android is a low priority, OTG isn't a priority at all, and the intersection of those... good luck.

While I agree that this is disturbing news for Android folks in regards to the new products offered. I disagree with the OP rationale in regards to shoving Android aside. It's not secret that its easier for DJI to develop for IOS rather than Android. Point being is that IOS has a LIMITED number of hardware devices (i.e. iPhone or iPad). Without counting I'd say Android has well over 200 various hardware platforms, thus making it a nightmare for an engineer to consider all the variables during development.

I read a couple of weeks ago that Apple are looking to buy DJI.

I read a couple of weeks ago that Apple are looking to buy DJI.
Yeah that rumor has been flying around (pardon the pun) for almost a year. Trust me whenever a publicly traded company (i.e. Apple) is about to make a major acquisition, rag publications such as Drone Life are going to be the last to know.

Apple rumored to buy DJI

200 platforms of Android? There hasn't even been 200 editions of Android since it was developed. There is 7 or 8 versions of Android based on two platforms, phone and tablet, each based on its own individual platform to which a developer works off of, I have had my Systems Analysis degree since 1988, you can't BS me with your lies

200 platforms of Android? There hasn't even been 200 editions of Android since it was developed. There is 7 or 8 versions of Android based on two platforms, phone and tablet, each based on its own individual platform to which a developer works off of, I have had my Systems Analysis degree since 1988, you can't BS me with your lies
Ah...I stated "hardware devices". and I like you probably date back to IBM punch cards

Reactions: MileHighSi
They have already proven that with the OTG connection,
Also it was a fluke that OTG ever worked whether it be on Android or IOS. No where in the Spark manual does it say to connect RC to phone/tablet via a wired connection

Reactions: Aran
The OTG working and it was a mistake? Someone programmed it in and removed it in an upgrade period. No mistake, that it was there and no mistake it was taken away.

Reactions: GPJO and Mrbucbuck
Sir how is it useless information? Are you disputing that there is not anywhere near 200+ various Android devices on available on the market today? This article states there are more than 24,000 (yes thousand) unique Android devices.

There are now more than 24,000 different Android devices
And all working of the same base firmware..whether it's a phone, one base programming or a tablet, one base programming no matter what company or style of phone or tablet.

The OTG working and it was a mistake? Someone programmed it in and removed it in an upgrade period. No mistake, that it was there and no mistake it was taken away.
100% agree...I can count on 2 hands how many times I've flown my Spark since the OTG removal.

100% agree...I can count on 2 hands how many times I've flown my Spark since the OTG removal.
3 times here, lost connection first 2 times and crashed at full speed the last time with no connection, all this within 200 ft of distance and not even 50 ft in height. Luckily only broken blades and one light pod under one motor, been a man cave artifact since

3 times here, lost connection first 2 times and crashed at full speed the last time with no connection, all this within 200 ft of distance and not even 50 ft in height. Luckily only broken blades and one light pod under one motor, been a man cave artifact since
Are you here in the states?

Canada, I can see Detroit from my window
I can get about 500 feet in a heavily congested wifi area and about 2,500-3,000 in an open field. Probably just give the Spark to my son-in-law and I'll continue using my other devices

I'm not 100% sure OTG was removed, but it would make sense... Capitalistic sense at that. And same, I've flown 4 times since OTG has gotten bugs, tried to fly 2 of those times with WiFi and first time lost connection, second time got a compass error and near flyaway...

I can get about 500 feet in a heavily congested wifi area and about 2,500-3,000 in an open field. Probably just give the Spark to my son-in-law and I'll continue using my other devices
Just waiting for the replacement parts to arrive before mine goes up for sale as I look for another unit to buy, I'm positive DJI will not be on the list of potentials.

Just waiting for the replacement parts to arrive before mine goes up for sale as I look for another unit to buy, I'm positive DJI will not be on the list of potentials.
I might sell mine in favor of the Mavic, other brands don't seem to be quite up to par yet... But haven't taken a close look at Autel's latest drone yet, seems promising, much more so than Walker's version lol

Here is another thought if thinking it hard for DJI to get it right for Android or IOS platforms, my son has a 120 dollar toy drone that has no controller, just smartphone hookup and it doesn't go far or fast but it works perfect with his mom's iPad, his Apple phone, my Samsung phone and Samsung tablet. Now if a cheap toy, not sure who made , can work perfect on all these devices you would think DJI can do the same, that if they wanted too.

Reactions: Mrbucbuck

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoeFolk502