Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

DJI Acquires Hasselblad

Nikon1

Join
May 31, 2017
Loc
South Jersey
A direct quote from the article - link to the complete article at the end:

"Simple, the minority shareholder becomes the majority shareholder. DJI now owns the majority share of Hasselblad. You heard me right. This information has come from numerous, reliable sources. Hasselblad, the iconic Swedish camera company, is now owned by the Chinese drone maker DJI. Sooner or later, this will all become public. Maybe now that I am spilling the beans, it will be sooner rather than later. It seems that everyone inside Hasselblad knows about this, as well as some distributors and resellers. You can’t keep something this big a secret for very long, eventually, it is going to get out."

Complete article at the link -------> Link

Hopefully this means better cameras in future generations of DJI Drones.

I've known the name Hasselblad since I was young, and they always stood for high end, pro stuff in the USA.

What do you think DJI might glean from Hasselblad? Must be some sort of technology or licensing theyre after because Hasselblad hasnt turned a profit in a long time.

That's what has a lot of the photographers world wide are wondering. The full article outlines many of the mis-steps Hasselblad management has made in the last couple of decades.

I'm hoping that DJI incorporates some / a lot of Hasselblads knowledge of optics in future products for us and it's not just that DJI has a lot of capital and wanted to diversify into other fields.

Time will tell.

Reactions: Previous Member
If there plans are to incorporate a new micro Hasselblad digital camera on a drone that would be terrific...bet expensive but wonderful. If you check out the Hasselblad site they already have a camera drone they have done with DJI. Hasselblad under products and special applications

Well, while I do not disagree, DJI is in the Pilots seat as the new Owner. And Hasselblad has always been a "premiere brand" for the wealthy and the Professional photographer.

DJI may be able to keep the quality and reduce the cost by banking on quantity and not just branding.

It will be very interesting to see what develops.

As an aside - Nikon is starting to flounder as well and the Japanese banks are trying to get FujiFilm to "invest" in Nikon and keep Nikon a totally Japanese company.

The brands keep getting fewer and fewer.

I hope that Nikon stays a float because that is what I shoot and love it. I have had Canon - great kit but I like the Nikon menu system a bit better as well as the form factor of the camera bodies. It was a sad day when film became a thing of the past...don't want to see Nikon and Canon go the way of Kodak.

Last edited:
I also shoot using Nikons', I've been using them since the early 80's. IMO both Nikon & Cannon should be safe due to the fact that they made the transition to digital and have already captured a share of the market (professional & consumer).

I've shot with and taught Nikon for the last 50 years - started with the F1 but vision problems sidelined my business career years ago. Still - IMHO - Nikon was always top shelf in 35mm, though Canon was another great system!

I remember when Kodak was purchasing Nikon bodies and outfitting them with Digital Sensors that, IIRC, were about 1.1 MP sensors - and they had a built into the bottom HDD. Oh, the good old days . . . .

I have the D500 and absolutely love it. If I am honest, I do miss my "L" glass from my Canon cameras.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef