Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

DJI Goggles

David Almond

Join
May 29, 2017
Loc
Media, PA
I have read a lot online that says that the new DJI Goggles work well with the Spark and that the Spark won't be able to be integrated with other goggles. Goggles are a new thing to me but it sound a bit odd that you would not be able to use FatShark or some other popular brand of FPV goggle with the Spark.

Anyone know if that is true?

Looks to be very unlikely. Not sure how any other Goggles will tap into DJI's proprietary wi-fi video transmission.

When DJI now makes nearly all main drone components there is no need to be compatible with other brands.

A little bit more discussion here about Fatshark Goggles and Spark: use with fatshark goggles?

Reactions: David Almond
Is the proprietary Wi-Fi the only limiting factor then Advexure - or do you think there are other elements of concern?

And thank you for the reply. I am trying to get used to "where I should look for info/where I should post so I don't duplicate as I did with the DJI Goggle post"

I have read a lot online that says that the new DJI Goggles work well with the Spark and that the Spark won't be able to be integrated with other goggles.
You'll be able to connect other goggles that connect via HDMI if you're using a mobile device that has an HDMI output (like the Nvidia Shield K1).

Really on the fence about buying these. Do they work as well on the spark as they do on the mavic? Convince me, people.

Really on the fence about buying these. Do they work as well on the spark as they do on the mavic? Convince me, people.
I can't see why they wouldn't work just as well on the Spark. Apart from my shitty eyesight they work great on my Mavic

As far as we know right now, they are going to be connecting to the Spark via USB, so in that regard they are not going to be as good as the Mavic.

As far as we know right now, they are going to be connecting to the Spark via USB, so in that regard they are not going to be as good as the Mavic.
Hmm...strange that I have not seen anywhere that the goggles will be connecting to the Spark via USB.

That's somewhat disappointing. I think I will wait to buy until someone gets their hands on both and really puts them through their paces against mavic functionality. Still getting a spark over the mavic though.

Did some additional research. (Correct me if I'm wrong)

The Mavic has 3 different (independent) wireless communication setups. OcuSync (DJI proprietary wireless for video data), typical wifi (2.4GHz and extended 5.8GHz), and RC (MHz based frequencies and channel set unlike GHz frequencies on wifi).

The Spark only has wifi. No OcuSync or RC transmitter/receiver. So everything has to transmit on wifi only including flight data, video data and controls. This is probably why the video transmission is also lower quality than recording quality to save some wifi bandwidth for flight data and controller inputs.

This makes sense since the Mavic RC isn't compatible with Spark. Spark can't connect on RC only channels and requires a different controller board and wireless setup.

So to prevent wifi crosstalk, it makes sense to wire the goggles directly to the RC since the Spark can't talk to each individually like OcuSync and RC transmission on Mavic can.

The Mavic has 3 different (independent) wireless communication setups. OcuSync (DJI proprietary wireless for video data), typical wifi (2.4GHz and extended 5.8GHz), and RC (MHz based frequencies and channel set unlike GHz frequencies on wifi).

OcuSync carries video and control, there is no separate 'RC' capability...

Mavic controller is not compatible with Spark as Spark does not use OcuSync.

Last edited:
Reactions: Advexure
OcuSync carries video and control, there is no separate 'RC' capability...

The only alternative is that the goggles connect to RC and not directly to drone. The RC would handle passthru communication between goggles and Mavic for video and camera orientation data. That's got to be one hell of a transmission protocol to handle so much data and error correction over great distances without higher power wireless signals.

The only alternative is that the goggles connect to RC and not directly to drone.

Sorry, but again, 'no'.

The goggles happily connect direct to the aircraft even if the controller is turned off.

You will get the video image from the aircraft in the goggles and full control of the camera from the goggles without the controller.

You will get a warning that the controller is not detected and you will be unable to issue flight commands like take-off though.

Sorry, but again, 'no'.

The goggles happily connect direct to the aircraft even if the controller is turned off.

You will get the video image from the aircraft in the goggles and full control of the camera from the goggles without the controller.

You will get a warning that the controller is not detected and you will be unable to issue flight commands like take-off though.

Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

No ideal why you'd think that and obviously no signs that it is an issue as Mavic has been flying just fine for some time now.

Mixing video and control data packets over the same transmission system is hardly a new idea and works just fine.

The bandwidth for control is tiny in comparison to video.

I think you might have misunderstood my comment. You pointed out that drone flight could be done using only the goggles with no remote controller in the user's hands at all. Goggle only flight sounds like a disaster waiting to happen since controls would be head movement based with convoluted tap-pad on side of device. I'd rather hold a mobile device or RC in my hands if my only view is through goggles without LOS visual hazards.

Mixing video and control data packets over the same transmission system is hardly a new idea and works just fine.

The bandwidth for control is tiny in comparison to video.

I'm well aware how wifi works and its capabilities. I was only pointing out that wifi bandwidth has a lot of 'wasted' buffer space and lots of interrupts to compensate for packet collisions. The specs for devices on DJI's website have inconsistent info and formatting so a direct comparison is difficult on any wifi specs with any combination for either drone with or without RC/goggles.

So I'm not sure if you read into something that wasn't said in my previous comment but I hope this clears things up.

I think you might have misunderstood my comment. You pointed out that drone flight could be done using only the goggles with no remote controller in the user's hands at all.

Check my post again, you will note that I said '...and you will be unable to issue flight commands like take-off though.'

I only confirmed that the goggles linked direct to the aircraft, not via the controller and specifically said that you could not take-off like that.

@Mark_T Please don't take this the wrong way but you are still misreading my comments.
I didn't specify 'take-off' as the problem. I noted that general flight by goggles only sounds hazardous without a RC in the user's hands for obvious reasons like immediate course corrections or stopping flight.
Using only the goggle's intelligent flight orientation mode sounds problematic.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme