Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Dji is suggesting shipping a damaged battery.

Fla_nugz8504

Join
Jul 30, 2019
I have a ticket open with dji regarding a spark that dropped from 249ft and caused some damage and destroyed the aircraft. I believe it was not the common battery issues. I have a few sparks. Many many batteries and already bought a new one to replace the crashed. I am just seeing if we could find the cause. It just fell. Anyways. Battery has swollen and is stuck on the aircraft. I am uncomfortable messing with it anymore than I have. Dji says either remove the battery or take it to ups and see if they will shop it am I wrong for thinking this is reckless of them to ask? I’ve just heard bad things. Here’s a pic of the aircraft they want to assess for repair. I’ve sent them many pics

Attachments

• 6B2C6AF3-D70C-43BB-AAB6-6C86BDDEADD0.jpeg
    6B2C6AF3-D70C-43BB-AAB6-6C86BDDEADD0.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 74
  • ABC81D65-C1BD-41F1-B276-1A5CEA9CFF2D.jpeg
    ABC81D65-C1BD-41F1-B276-1A5CEA9CFF2D.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 75
  • 2FB6A2E9-80FF-4DDC-A246-8BB4608B7BC5.jpeg
    2FB6A2E9-80FF-4DDC-A246-8BB4608B7BC5.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 75
Have they (DJI) seen pics of the craft/condition!? I would assume if they had, they would not want that battery shipped back to them. That's a ticking time bomb at this point in my book.

Sorry for the crash, but hope they get you fixed up. Any idea what caused the issue/crash?

No idea. I know everyone cries “iT jUsT cAMe oUt oF nO wHeRe” but I was going straight up and at 249ft I lost video it was right above me as I took off and went straight up. I had started to push the stick forward to start foward movement while still gaining alt, I live on a busy road and always try and look both ways before crossing (I’m cautious) so as I look up to see the spark since I lost video, I hear the pitch of the props change from the input I can only imiagine would be from the forward command, then I see it kinda twist? Lack of a better term and fall and from the twist it doesn’t fall straight down and ends up landing in the road and then was hot over and over and over and over and over..... I took probably 3-4 mins before I was able to step out and pick up what you saw. I know the spark is a “toy” it’s for beginners so on and so on and While I have a higher end dji model that I use some and enjoy. Nothing competes with the spark, I know all the specs of all the models and of Yuneec and autel, I had an Anafi and immediately chose eating 15% restocking fee to rid myself of it lol. What I’m saying is I am very familiar with it. On my dji account I have activated 6 sparks. 5 are mine. 3 I still have. I also will be the first to admit that I push them. Hard. I don’t always follow the rules. I do sketchy stuff when I think it’s the least sketchy and want to. Hate me for it. Is what it is. But this was a normal uneventful 3 or so min flight. Another thing worth mentioning. The battery manufacturer date was in 2018. After the battery latch. And as it fell 2 lights were lit. One however was not as bright as the other. Which was weird as I’ve never seen them do that in any situation.

This is what they sent me after I explained it was stuck, swollen and reacted slightly and then left it alone.

Attachments

• EB90E68B-0BAE-42FF-8755-A32AAF7E397E.jpeg
    EB90E68B-0BAE-42FF-8755-A32AAF7E397E.jpeg
    721.2 KB · Views: 27
  • 89E036A4-065D-431D-A03C-FD53EFB36024.png
    89E036A4-065D-431D-A03C-FD53EFB36024.png
    468.4 KB · Views: 27
I have to say, in all honesty, if DJI insist on having the drone back, send it to them! The drone has already sustained severe damage! Break it in half if you have to, to remove the battery, but just do it. You would not be getting this one back anyway! Dispose of the battery.

I'm not so sure these guy's that one talks to on customer support are too sharp. Let's face it...they are always going to end up telling you to send the drone back and at least they issue mailers.
Did you say that it didn't fall straight down and and that it was "run" over several times? Do you think that it might have lost a prop? or maybe a motor? I'm curious as to how a drone behaves on three motors. I don't have the nerve to try it. Losing a prop or at least a blade is unfortunately always a possibility.

I am wondering, with the puffy battery, if the battery was maybe faulty and puffed *before* the crash. The crash was caused by the battery expanding and not making a good connection with the drone, so it lost power mid-flight.

Either way I think DJI are insane for wanting to ship a battery in that condition. I'd be up front and honest with whoever ships it and then tell DJI if they refuse to ship it. Other than that, it's DJI's problem now.

I agree that you are right not to remove the battery in that state. Poor little bird!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef