Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

DJI Spark did not RTH

Blind Rookie

Join
Aug 2, 2018
I know I don't have all the info on this, but would appreciate any input. So I've been flying my Spark for a couple of weeks now (first drone ever). While we were away on vacation last week, I was flying the Spark out of the house, backward, over the pool and then over the ocean. I was in Tripod Mode and everything was going fine. When I got out about 500 feet, the wind picked up and took the Spark for a ride... I couldn't control it, so I hit the RTH button, but nothing. Then I lost my signal and the video would go in/out. It finally landed safely and I used "find my drone" and went and got it. Fortunately, it landed in a condo area that's currently under construction and I was able to retrieve it with no problems.

So I believe my issue was that I was in Tripod Mode and the Spark couldn't fly fast enough against the wind to return? Peak speed on that trip was 24 MPH and I know TM is way less than that.

Thoughts?

What would you have done and why?

Again, any input is appreciated. Meanwhile, I"ll keep reading and learning more.

Thanks,
m-

I know I don't have all the info on this, but would appreciate any input. So I've been flying my Spark for a couple of weeks now (first drone ever). While we were away on vacation last week, I was flying the Spark out of the house, backward, over the pool and then over the ocean. I was in Tripod Mode and everything was going fine. When I got out about 500 feet, the wind picked up and took the Spark for a ride... I couldn't control it, so I hit the RTH button, but nothing. Then I lost my signal and the video would go in/out. It finally landed safely and I used "find my drone" and went and got it. Fortunately, it landed in a condo area that's currently under construction and I was able to retrieve it with no problems.

So I believe my issue was that I was in Tripod Mode and the Spark couldn't fly fast enough against the wind to return? Peak speed on that trip was 24 MPH and I know TM is way less than that.

Thoughts?

What would you have done and why?

Again, any input is appreciated. Meanwhile, I"ll keep reading and learning more.

Thanks,
m-
it's great that you found your spark . the first thing i would do if i'm flying over water is only fly out 25% of your battery only because ocean wind can pick up at ant time from a calm sea to a Gail force wind real fast . if you see big waves just assume the wind is pushing those waves in . when you lost your signal if you set the home point it should if it could come back to the home point . if the battery was low and the spark knew it would not make it back it will land , as i understand the spark RTH .

The RC has audible sound when RTH is being executed. Did you hear this sound? Did you check your RTH setting to see that it is set to return to homepoint? You might want to test your RTH since you got your spark back. Some pilots here in the forum can read and analyze flight logs and tell you exactly what happened.

I was once caught in a sudden pick up up wind, lost sight/orientation for a moment then I quickly turned the camera down to see where I was and flipped it I to sports mode to fly back against the wind.. In just 10-15 seconds it had been pushed another 600 meters away from me....
Scary moment but got it back!

I avoid using RTH button and instead always return to home manually in Sport Mode by following the green line on Map Display. I feel this heightens my skills and confidence so I'm better prepared in an emergency situation. Using autonomous take off, landing and RTH doesn't is a convenience but maybe not best practice long term.

Reactions: Blind Rookie
Post your flight log URL back from this site.... DJI Flight Log Viewer - Phantom Help

We can have a look at the details that way. Tripod mode is the slowest mode, not suitable for windy conditions, and in the event this should happen to you in future, I would immediately flip into sport mode (assuming you have the RC, not just your phone) as you will get your best wind fighting power to get back to your homepoint. You would need to fly it back manually if your RTH did not work. Lets see what your flight log shows. There are instructions on that page from the link above.

A good rule that I've used is making sure The Homepoint was actually updated. In the DJI Go4 App, the lady will say "take-off" , once you're up a couple of feet she will say "The home point has been updated" . If you don't hear her say that, your RTH location could be compromised.

Reactions: NRRTRAINS
A good rule that I've used is making sure The Homepoint was actually updated. In the DJI Go4 App, the lady will say "take-off" , once you're up a couple of feet she will say "The home point has been updated" . If you don't hear her say that, your RTH location could be compromised.
also what i have found out is , move the spark just a foot or two and the home point will be re established .

The RC has audible sound when RTH is being executed. Did you hear this sound? Did you check your RTH setting to see that it is set to return to homepoint? You might want to test your RTH since you got your spark back. Some pilots here in the forum can read and analyze flight logs and tell you exactly what happened.

Hate to sound like a *******, but I set the RTH earlier in the week for the same location... so that's one way to screw up. I now know I should set it every time I fly. I also know now that had I switched to "sport" mode, I probably could have flown it back against that 20+ MPH wind.

I"ll try to figure out how to pull the flight log, happy to share.

Thanks to all that have commented so far, appreciate the input.

Cheers,
m-

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast