Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

DJI SPARK PRO - Coming in 2018?

CaptainDrone

Join
May 31, 2017
Happy 2018! I'm sure everyone has their thoughts and opinions on the next version of the DJI Spark. The Spark is an entry level model in its category, so I'm predicting in 2018 DJI will release the Pro version. Here are my thoughts. Please add your own predictions regarding the 2018 Spark in this thread and/or the video. Will it be a Pro version, or just a minor upgrade like the Mavic Pro Platinum?

First portion of video deals with predictions concerning the 2018 DJI Spark, then it follows to the Mavic and Phantom.

Hmm...I like your predictions in regards to the Spark, though keep in mind that its an "entry level" device, thus cost$ needs to be minimal.

I believe that during the prototype phase the Spark had a three axis gimbal and 4k optics. I'm guessing it wasn't perfected in time for launch. I suspect the next iteration might have these included..

Reactions: ccolt1
no. DJI should invest to mavic instead of Spark.
they can make more money to sell Mavic than spark in my opinion.
since body of spark is small and limited flying time will limit almost everything.
honestly, I prefer to see smaller version of mavic which gives around 20min plus flying time instead of new version of spark.
Spark is good enough entry level drone and if they can price around $250 and $350-400 for flying combo, they might be able to sell current spark for a while even though they release new version of small drone.

new mavic was totally disappointed. DJI was too spoiled that they are the best in the business and did very small updates for new version.

Love my spark, for 349.00. Cheaper than my GoPro, and it is like I have a built in tripod as well. Totally satisfied.

I'm sure DJI can improve on the Spark just through software, and unlocking
'Hidden' features. The Spark is a selfie drone, not a mission drone so I don't
see too much more going into it. I agree the Mavic will be focused on more,
and perhaps a more cost effective UAV for a higher quality camera.

There's a huge market gap between the Mavic and Inspire 2. Which it
seems Yuneec is starting focus on with the H520 E90 in the $3-4k range
with a 1 inch camera sensor.

I'm sure DJI can improve on the Spark just through software, and unlocking
'Hidden' features. The Spark is a selfie drone, not a mission drone so I don't
see too much more going into it. I agree the Mavic will be focused on more,
and perhaps a more cost effective UAV for a higher quality camera.

There's a huge market gap between the Mavic and Inspire 2. Which it
seems Yuneec is starting focus on with the H520 E90 in the $3-4k range
with a 1 inch camera sensor.
The Phantom is in that gap, can't forget about ol' faithful here despite the need in updated landing gear.

CaptainDrone, I like your 2018 predictions. I think DJI wants the entire line-up to be 4K, so I can see that Spark uograde this year. I like DJI's multi-tiered strategy:
1) Spark -- entry level geared toward hobbyist & recreational flyers
2) Mavic -- fixed camera, prosumer to professional, highly portable
3) Phantom -- higher quality fixed camera, professional, less portable
4) Inspire -- detachable and upgradable camera, high-end professional

That kind of covers the spectrum except for fpv racers and commercial.

No doubt DJI will be walking a tight rope the next few years trying to decide on which upgrades make sense for each level without harming sales of the next level up drone. But with a lineup like this, they will not likely lose too many sales to the competition.

The Phantom is in that gap, can't forget about ol' faithful here despite the need in updated landing gear.

True, but Phantom is at the low end. Fixed camera. Inspire quality at a more reachable
price point is coming.

Another 'gap' in the market will be Spark sized and capable UAVs under FAA
Registration weight.... that's real doable!

You can be sure that when this comes 2 days later they'll change or remove the minimum weight requirements.
Ain't that the truth xD
But it makes sense for them to do so, any drone under 300g right now isn't a good enough camera to be worth flying up in dangerous airspace, the moment that changes, the weight HAS to change to be safe :/ or instead of changing the weight they say all drones with GPS, or capabilities to go a certain height.

I am successfully using my Spark and printing stitched aerial images up to a metre and more in length. Now that I am flying from a I-Phone 6 via the controller, I have had no problems. But I would certainly go for a a Raw update for better processing control. I am not using the inbuilt stitching programme but just change the angle of the drone in the air to do about an 18% overlap and stitch the images via PTGUI.

Another reason for DJI to launch the Spark Pro in 2018. The competition is beginning:

Trust there isn't a product that Walkera can make that can "hold a candle" to DJI products. I had some of there entry level FPV racers when I first got into quads and they were ****.

Another reason for DJI to launch the Spark Pro in 2018. The competition is beginning:

Pathetic. They just copied DJI spark and looks like cheaply made from video. Also it’s funny that the video reviewer keep saying how small it is. Probably he never saw spark before hahahaha.

If the Mavic Air rumor is true (we'll find out Jan 23), I don't see a Spark Pro in the line up anytime soon as this would make the product line way too crowded between Spark and Mavic Pro Platinum

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme