Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

DJI vs. Spark???

I guess you could say the same for the Phantom too, no? They don't sell those in the DJI Store either.

Provided parts (especially batteries) are available I think Sparks will still be flying for some time.

I know many places like Target, Walmart, etc. did closeouts on the Spark line but with the sheer volume of Spark birds out there some enterprising Chinese supplier will likely offer motors, boards, batteries and such on the aftermarket.

Besides - the Spark still has a few advantages over the Mini, especially as a basic training platform to familiarize pilots with both drone flying AND more complete flight control options than DJI Fly before they move up to an M2, etc. This includes usage with Litchi, Dronelink, NLD mods, etc.

Also, there will be a bunch of Sparks available used at a good price once Minis start to be delivered.

So did DJI just scrap the Spark platform? Why would they do that?
I'd imagine because they wanted to sell an entry level drone at the price point that Spark occupied. There's tons of opinions just on this forum as to whether the Mavic Mini is a true "replacement". Businesses feel the need to supersede existing products from time to time to churn up new interest. It's easiest to forgive if the replacement is generally accepted to be an upgrade (new and better :rolleyes:). It's less easy if it's considered a step backward or less capable.

You wouldn't believe how many people on these forums told me that "The Spark already has a successor, it's called the Mavic Air"...
To be honest, the Spark was marketed as a selfie drone that could do all by itself, with many automated flight modes and relatively sophisticated sensors (both obstacle avoidance and gesture control). The fact that it opened a whole new customer base that actually uses the Spark as an entry level Mavic was not anticipated by DJI I think.

So where does that leave the Spark? Does DJI feel there is still room for product diversification between a compact entry level drone with advanced autoflight abilities and a compact entry level drone for without those abilities? Noone knows, and I think that is what the big confusion is about...

The way I see it, you could introduce an absolute beginners drone like the Tello, which is basically a toy. Then there could be a diversification between people who need advanced selfie abilities and people who don't need all the sensors but want a better camera platform, and above that the Mavic Zoom/Pro.

Does this leave room for a Spark 2? I don't know, only time will tell I guess...

DJI has a super muddled product line. It's not shocking they would want to reduce confusion.

DJI has a super muddled product line. It's not shocking they would want to reduce confusion.
I'll definitely agree with the "muddled" observation. Even as I start to compare the various Mavic models out there, as I look for an upgrade, they keep disappearing (out of stock) from their stores. Makes shopping frustrating, not to mention that the models left available keep getting more expensive.

I agree about the air being the spark successor!! but i really love the spark I fly it LOS in sport mode and at night it's very fun to fly..

I agree about the air being the spark successor!! but i really love the spark I fly it LOS in sport mode and at night it's very fun to fly..
I'll second that! Coming in late some nights with a smile on my face makes my wife suspicious though. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef