Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Do you feel like filters make enough of a difference to warrant the price?

• Total voters

GadgetInspector

Join
Jul 19, 2018
I bought some Polar Pro filters and they're kind of expensive, so I wanted to really compare footage with and without the filters to see if they really make a difference. My conclusion is that they do make enough of a difference because I can't go back to filming without them. The Spark's camera is already pretty good, but using ND and polarized filters kicks it up a notch. What do you think?

It depends on if you just bought your spark to fly around and catch some shots or if you are really interested in film projects. If you are into filming the go with the PolarPro Cinematic series filters. They are an ND filter with polarization and if shot in manual mode with the correct settings your video will look great. Now if you bought your Spark because you wanted a drone that was fun to fly and has the ability to catch a few pics and videos this is still great a great drone. This is a great drone to start with before moving on more expensive units. That being said this drone is capable of capturing great videos and pictures while still having fun flying around.

Reactions: GadgetInspector
They do make a difference. The help reduce the shutter speed down to twice that of the frames per second. That matters for motion blur, which is cinematic, and what our are are use to seeing. At 150 feet, it's hard to detect, but if you are flying by something, or just above a field of grass/flowers, then you will see the blur. Without the blur the grass/flowers will appear unnaturally sharp
polarized filters work to reduce glare; particularly over water, but they only work at a particular angle, and can cause strange effects in the sky when not flying at that angle.

They do make a difference. The help reduce the shutter speed down to twice that of the frames per second. That matters for motion blur, which is cinematic, and what our are are use to seeing. At 150 feet, it's hard to detect, but if you are flying by something, or just above a field of grass/flowers, then you will see the blur. Without the blur the grass/flowers will appear unnaturally sharp
polarized filters work to reduce glare; particularly over water, but they only work at a particular angle, and can cause strange effects in the sky when not flying at that angle.
LOL...you pretty much summarized my video....too funny...

Short answer is yes, but most people don’t use them on their Sparks. I regularly use lens filters on my larger Phantom, but that’s because there are far more camera settings to use during flight. The Spark records a very simplistic 1080P @ 30FPS. Out of the box, the Spark shoots pretty good video. Enough so, that some basic post-editing and color grading should result in a decent end product.

Reactions: Haggi and Brojon
Short answer is yes, but most people don’t use them on their Sparks. I regularly use lens filters on my larger Phantom, but that’s because there are far more camera settings to use during flight. The Spark records a very simplistic 1080P @ 30FPS. Out of the box, the Spark shoots pretty good video. Enough so, that some basic post-editing and color grading should result in a decent end product.
True enough and I also use them on my P4, but I would say a lot of folks aren't familiar with grading and color corrections. A good polarizer will improve on an already good image without a whole lot of extra work. I can't fly my Spark without a filter now that I have seen the difference, but that's just me. As with anything else, to each his own.

I don't use filters on the Spark,because of the limited camera settings. Keep the sun at your back and you can shoot some really clear video/pictures.

I don't use filters with spark too, because camera is very basic with limited manual capabilities.

I on the other hand love using my filters. I have been using the PolarPro Cinema series.View attachment 7356
Exactly. It really just depends on what you're trying to do. Limitations on the camera doesn't negate the benefits of using filters. Most folks don't know what those benefits are though (and that's ok). Put the drone in auto and have at it, you'll get good results. This looks incredible. I like the golden hue. Sun must have been setting?

Reactions: Sparky007
Exactly. It really just depends on what you're trying to do. Limitations on the camera doesn't negate the benefits of using filters. Most folks don't know what those benefits are though (and that's ok). Put the drone in auto and have at it, you'll get good results. This looks incredible. I like the golden hue. Sun must have been setting?
I have done a lot of photography over many years and have used 35mm ttl cameras with all types of filters. When digital came in it was a revolution what could be achieved post production in photoshop. My filter use was reduced to UV and polarising, with all colour correction and fine tuning carried out in photoshop. In my opinion there is no need for the use of filters on the Spark, particularly for video. Almost everything can be carried out in a decent editing programme, if what the Spark has produced is not to your satisfaction.
If you are looking for more than the Spark can produce, you really must go for the 4k capabilities of higher spec quads.

To the filter users: Any problems with gimbal overload? I read that in many cases people got this error when trying filters on the spark...

I have done a lot of photography over many years and have used 35mm ttl cameras with all types of filters. When digital came in it was a revolution what could be achieved post production in photoshop. My filter use was reduced to UV and polarising, with all colour correction and fine tuning carried out in photoshop. In my opinion there is no need for the use of filters on the Spark, particularly for video. Almost everything can be carried out in a decent editing programme, if what the Spark has produced is not to your satisfaction.
If you are looking for more than the Spark can produce, you really must go for the 4k capabilities of higher spec quads.

You don't have to do anything, that much is true, but just because you can make adjustments in post that does not preclude the use of filters. There are no "rules" to this stuff. If you prefer to do it your way have at it. I and many others will continue to use filters. I even use them on my Mavic 2 Pro in certain situations even when shooting 4K. I enjoy making adjustments in Lightroom and Photoshop as well, but I'm not chained to it by no means. In the end, just have fun is what I say.

To the filter users: Any problems with gimbal overload? I read that in many cases people got this error when trying filters on the spark...
Depends on the kind of filter you're using. I use the PolarPros and I've never received an overload message. However, due to how the filter mounts on the camera I can't tilt the camera all the way down. Other than that they work great.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooNex