Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Do you feel like filters make enough of a difference to warrant the price?

• Total voters
Exactly. It really just depends on what you're trying to do. Limitations on the camera doesn't negate the benefits of using filters. Most folks don't know what those benefits are though (and that's ok). Put the drone in auto and have at it, you'll get good results. This looks incredible. I like the golden hue. Sun must have been setting?

Yes the sun was setting behind the spark at the time of this photo and I had used a polarizing ND 4 filter as I did not have a polarizing only filter. Also I used Light Room to process.

You don't have to do anything, that much is true, but just because you can make adjustments in post that does not preclude the use of filters. There are no "rules" to this stuff. If you prefer to do it your way have at it. I and many others will continue to use filters. I even use them on my Mavic 2 Pro in certain situations even when shooting 4K. I enjoy making adjustments in Lightroom and Photoshop as well, but I'm not chained to it by no means. In the end, just have fun is what I say.
100% agree. I would never apply rules. My comments were purely in my honest opinion. I would never preclude the use of filters, I was just pointing out that in this digital age great results can be achieved on the computer. In the old days, changing filters due to light changes was a real pain, so personally I found digital adjustments to be preferable.

Reactions: Sparky007
Thanks @GadgetInspector for the thread. Is that park in Grand Rapids? I love going there when I visit the family.
Pulling the trigger on a set of PolarPro filters on clearance from BestBuy!

Great pics! I will admit that my use of polar pro polarized filters is mostly for photos including bodies of clear water... to reduce surface reflection enough to see into the water

Last edited:
Reactions: Sparky007
I use ND filters primarily for video. For video I use them to try to get as close to the shutter speed I'm wanting. At 24fps I try to get as close to 1/50th and for 30fps I try to get as close to 1/60th. While you can use faster or slower shutter speeds, it will affect the look of the video. The best thing to do is to experiment and see what you like.

For photography, the only time I use them is when I want to extend the exposure time and smooth out water or get movement in clouds.

I use ND filters primarily for video. For video I use them to try to get as close to the shutter speed I'm wanting. At 24fps I try to get as close to 1/50th and for 30fps I try to get as close to 1/60th. While you can use faster or slower shutter speeds, it will affect the look of the video. The best thing to do is to experiment and see what you like.

For photography, the only time I use them is when I want to extend the exposure time and smooth out water or get movement in clouds.

You have done your research! That's exactly how ND filters are intended for cinematic effect in video (and long exposure photography).

If one doesn't care about creating a little motion blur a polarizing filter will do just fine. It helps colors pop, cuts down surface reflection and gives a little camera lens protection too.

Reactions: PortlandProDrones

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme