Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Drone beacon

• Thread starter Deleted member 3727
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3727

Sounds foolish

but if my spark got lost - Is there any GPS beacon / something similar i can attach to the drone so in event of loss it can send signals and my phone can pick it up - similar to what they show in movies when the fighter pilot seat is ejected (Beyond enemy lines).

I'm making it more dramatical but if anyone knows of such device please let me know.

I found this one on amazon.de

https://www.amazon.de/Trackimo-Trac...UTF8&qid=1525128016&sr=8-1&keywords=trackimo#

You're on the right track. you want the trackimo pet GPS. It is a smaller and lighter round shape with the same function as the one you posted. The rectangular original trackimo does not clear the propellers and would need to be mounted on the underside which is not practical. The pet GPS works well with some velcro.20170909_214507.jpg

Reactions: Blaze
I tried a couple of the Bluetooth tracking devices and found the range to be very limited. I couldn’t even locate the device located behind my house. (To be fair, l should note that my house has aluminum foil backed insulation which is a good RF shield.) I looked at the Trackimo and similar gps tracking devices, but I didn’t want to be locked into paying a monthly subscription fee. Also, the most scenic areas around here are often outside cell phone service, so theTrackimo simply wouldn’t work.
I ended up buying a Marco Polo tracker which can be used anywhere and does not require a subscription. The transceiver is very small and light weight (about 40 grams). I have verified that it works over a mile away, but it has the disadvantage that is one of the most expensive trackers, and you need to become familiar with its operation before you lose your drone.
Regardless of which tracker you purchase, please give some thought about where you mount it on the drone. I don’t think it is a good idea to mount active electronic circuits next to the compass and IMU module or over the GPS receiver. I mounted my transceiver on the battery using Velcro and a strap to secure it to the drone. Keep the antenna wire away from the propellers!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast