Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Phone Mount Options

Dodge DeBoulet

Join
Dec 27, 2018
Loc
Maine
I have a large format phone (Samsung Note 8) that doesn't quite fit the grips on the Spark RC. I have to remove the phone from its case and the rubber grips mess up the vinyl screen protector. I've looked at a couple of mounts that hold the phone above the remote, near the antennae, and those look like a better option.

Any personal experiences and/or recommendations with mounts like this?

https://www.amazon.com/Freewell-Con...6036417&sr=8-9&keywords=Dji+spark+phone+mount

I've just ordered my Spark & awaiting delivery, intending to use the Note8 too. Does it not fit the RC at all?

Looking on Amazon UK, there appears to be a couple of alternative mount options. I personally like the look of this one as accommodates phones and tablets:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B07B4XWY73/ref=ox_sc_act_image_1?smid=AECJ8L2T8MR99&psc=1

Just can't decide if the phone would be better above or in front of the RC... Could the phone interfere with signal at all if in the above position? Also, I wonder if signal boosters could still be attached with either mount position...

If you have your Note 8 in any sort of case, it probably won't fit unless you remove it from the case. I also have a vinyl "self healing" screen protector installed, and that gets messed up when trying to slide the Note into the grips. That's why I was looking for an alternative. I like the idea of having the display above the RC controls ... just a better angle with less neck strain.

I have another small Android tablet that I received with a TV I bought 2 years ago. It fits the RC perfectly but I'm not sure it supports USB OTG. I've ordered a cable (Micro-USB OTG M-M) and am going to give it a try. If that fails I also have an old HTC One M8 that I could use in a pinch.

I'd prefer to use the Note 8 if I can find the right mount ... I think the one in my original post will work. I just want to make sure that it doesn't interfere with the OTG cable.

I have a large format phone (Samsung Note 8) that doesn't quite fit the grips on the Spark RC. I have to remove the phone from its case and the rubber grips mess up the vinyl screen protector. I've looked at a couple of mounts that hold the phone above the remote, near the antennae, and those look like a better option.

https://www.amazon.com/Freewell-Con...6036417&sr=8-9&keywords=Dji+spark+phone+mount

That's the right one. I have both designs and no longer use the one with the mounting plate.

The one you liked to has better balance, doesn't block view of controller and keeps arms of RC open for better grip.

No interference with OTG cable either

Be aware that although the mounting plate is aluminum the universal joint and lock nut are hard plastic. If you over-tighten the nut to account for weight of the iPad the joint will soon weaken and iPad will drift position.

Mine only lasted a few months. Don't tighten any more than necessary and hopefully yours will last longer.

Enjoy

Hi ..I don't have cheap delivery options with Amazon where I live so I ordered this from AliExpress and it works great with my note 9

₪ 55.03 11%OFF | Sunnylife DJI Mavic 2 Zoom Mavic PRO Monitor Bracket Mavic Air DJI Spark Remote Controller Holder Foldable Tablet phone Clamp US $14.61 11% OFF|Sunnylife DJI Mavic 2 Zoom Mavic PRO Monitor Bracket Mavic Air DJI Spark Remote Controller Holder Foldable Tablet phone Clamp -in Remote Control from Consumer Electronics on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Hi. I bought the one below from Amazon UK which has served me very well. I appreciate I use mine with my iPads but suspect it will work with a big phone.
KUUQA Aluminum-Alloy Foldable Tablet Stand Holder Extender with Lanyard for Mavic Pro/Mavic 2/Mavic Air/Dji Spark Remote Controller Device (Drone Not Included)

In my desperation to use my Spark with my Note 8 without removing it from its case, I hacked something together with some (very, very old) 1/4" Lexan, 2 vinyl suction cups, 2 screws and 4 washers. I had to drill out the back of the suction cups a bit for the screws to get a good purchase.

You may chuckle if you'd like ... ;)

IMAG0351 (Medium).jpgIMAG0352 (Medium).jpgIMAG0353 (Medium).jpgIMAG0355 (Medium).jpg

Oh, and I ordered the mount in my original post. It arrives tomorrow :D

In my desperation to use my Spark with my Note 8 without removing it from its case, I hacked something together with some (very, very old) 1/4" Lexan, 2 vinyl suction cups, 2 screws and 4 washers. I had to drill out the back of the suction cups a bit for the screws to get a good purchase.

You may chuckle if you'd like ... ;)

View attachment 8099View attachment 8100View attachment 8101View attachment 8102

Oh, and I ordered the mount in my original post. It arrives tomorrow :D

I love it when people improvise, adapt, and overcome a situation.

Good job.

Be aware that although the mounting plate is aluminum the universal joint and lock nut are hard plastic. If you over-tighten the nut to account for weight of the iPad the joint will soon weaken and iPad will drift position.

Mine only lasted a few months. Don't tighten any more than necessary and hopefully yours will last longer.

Enjoy
Thanks. It came today. I’ll be careful using it. I like the idea of using an iPad instead of my phone. Bigger screen, old eyes...

Daren

Pay once for mavmount and it should last you a lifetime. Lightweight yet durable. With tripod mount.

I have the mount like post #4 above for my ipad mini 4 and really like it.

Try creativity. I use a full size tablet as graphics are awesome. I cut up a tablet mount and hot glued it to aluminium cut to the size of a normal phone. Still well balanced and I don't need to wear glasses to read pop up messages.20181230_165940.jpeg20181230_165811.jpeg

Reactions: Dodge DeBoulet

So ... the mount mentioned in my quote above has a few issues.

First, the one I received did not include the knob/bolt that holds the clamp together around the RC body. I've rigged something temporary until a replacement arrives. Beware their quality control.

Second, the spring loaded holder for the phone itself doesn't really stretch enough to go around my Note 8 with its case. The case is not particularly bulky, but you essentially have to bend the fingers that hold the phone just a hair past the point you'd be otherwise comfortable with to get it around the phone.

Third, I'm not confident of its longevity. It simply seems to flex too much.

Fourth, while it accommodates the USB port on the controller, some cables (like the RCGEEK USB-C OTG cable) are a marginal fit. It works, but I fear that I'll bend the contacts in the controller if I'm not extremely careful.

I'd stay away from this one. I have a replacement coming due to the omission of the retaining knob, but I'm thinking that I probably should look for something a bit more solid. YMMV ...

I’ve recently seen a setup that was very simple yet super convenient. Can be used anywhere and allows you to concentrate on flying. Nothing is occupying your hands or dangling on your neck.

Mavmount (Link) mounted on tripod.
You can adjust every angle and height to suit your needs.

I also got tripod controller holder for phantom.

I’ve recently seen a setup that was very simple yet super convenient. Can be used anywhere and allows you to concentrate on flying. Nothing is occupying your hands or dangling on your neck.

Mavmount (Link) mounted on tripod.
You can adjust every angle and height to suit your needs.

I also got tripod controller holder for phantom.

That's not my idea of "convenience"...

You are mounting a tablet into a bulky metal adapter. Then you're mounting the adapter into the remote controller. Then you're mounting the whole apparatus on a tripod. Now you need to buy a longer OTG cable. Plus you've got to lug around a tablet, an adapter and an awkward tripod in addition to the drone and RC and phone!

I just grab my phone, RC and Spark and I'm flying. Now that's convenience !!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Daren71

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoeFolk502