Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Drone legs and case modification

Dan Showalter

Join
Dec 7, 2017
Flying over some water over the 4th of July, I bough some cheap Styrofoam floats/balls for the drone to keep it afloat. I've never used the floats, but it has some other features I like. It came with some clear legs that attach to each motor that the floats attach to. I can see it at night and the legs raise the drone off the ground so it's not sitting on it's belly when it lands. It also allows a battery clip to be attached if desired. I modified my case by cutting out the lining beneath motors so I can leave these on all the time and it still fits in my case.

IMG_5702.jpgIMG_5701a.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5702.jpg
    IMG_5702.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_5701a.jpg
    IMG_5701a.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 72
Not a bad idea, have you noticed if the wind affects the spark more with the legs, or have your flight time decreased?

I haven't flown enough yet to notice.... Since I'm adding some weight, I'm sure there will be some decrease, but I typically RTH well before this becomes an issue.

Just my opinion, but I would never allow any kind of quad/drone to land on water, even if it keeps it buoyant. The propolsion of taking off again could spray water up into the props, as well as other numerous things that could go wrong.

Just my opinion, but I would never allow any kind of quad/drone to land on water, even if it keeps it buoyant. The propolsion of taking off again could spray water up into the props, as well as other numerous things that could go wrong.
I agree... I would never land on water on purpose. I bought them for emergency only... I figured it was cheap insurance instead of the drone sinking.

This is not a bad idea at all...In fact i think it's a great idea. What do the Styrofoam parts look like, and where can i get one? I had just posted a while back about attaching a fishing bobber when flying over water, just in case, but this is better, and cheaper than some of the other things they make for water retrieval. Should help keep motors clean flying out of grassy, dusty areas. Nice!

palm take off and land...would that be better?
I use it everytime, once it in the air, I switch it to normal mode to allow normal flying with controller...IMHO, this feature makes spark is more versatile on every situation than the air

There is a drone that looks like the Phantom that is made to land on water, no floatation devices either. Its designed for searching for under water items with its camera. Seen it on the last episode season 2 tv show called Coppers Treasure.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef