Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Drone Pilot Faces Federal Charges for NFL Flights

Andre Levite

WELL-TRUSTED MEMBER
Premium Pilot
Join
Jun 18, 2018
Loc
Treasure Coast of Florida
Web
how-to-spark.com
This guy was not a recreational flyer or drone enthusiast. The drone was just a means to spread his misguided message. He showed blatant disregard for federal law and public safety.

Hopefully he will get the maximum penalty and be recognized as a criminal not affiliated with our hobby..

Drone Flights Around NFL Stadiums Result in Federal Charges

Yes, he should be executed in public view.

Flying a drone in restricted area, is a crime against humanity.

It's a crime against our industry and it should infuriate the test of us because actions like this are why we are seeing tighter and tighter restrictions. If we could police ourselves we wouldn't need increased Gvt restrictions but alas here we are.

Like anything, you get folks who have no regard for safety or rules, they impact the greater community. It's up to the responsible pilots to spread this message.

BINGO! That's 100% correct.

Reactions: Andre Levite
Those who might have the ear of the FAA will hopefully make it perfectly clear that the law abiding recreational and commercial drone pilots would like to see this individual prosecuted to the full extent of the law and to receive the maximum penalties possible. The consequences for this type of irresponsible behavior must send a clear message that society will not tolerate reckless endangerment with a drone. The worst possible outcome for our hobby would be for this individual to receive a slap on the wrist and a small fine.

Those who might have the ear of the FAA will hopefully make it perfectly clear that the law abiding recreational and commercial drone pilots would like to see this individual prosecuted to the full extent of the law and to receive the maximum penalties possible. The consequences for this type of irresponsible behavior must send a clear message that society will not tolerate reckless endangerment with a drone. The worst possible outcome for our hobby would be for this individual to receive a slap on the wrist and a small fine.

I happen to think you NAILED IT!! I don't think the FAA's "Education First" motto will work in this instance because he isn't one of us. He should be held accountable and get FULL SENTENCE to set a clear message throughout the country. This is NOT ACCEPTABLE!!

I happen to think you NAILED IT!! I don't think the FAA's "Education First" motto will work in this instance because he isn't one of us. He should be held accountable and get FULL SENTENCE to set a clear message throughout the country. This is NOT ACCEPTABLE!!

Yes. That was exactly my reason for posting this story

That guy is a criminal and a fanatic. He is NOT representative of our hobby which is comprised primarily of law abiding citizen flyers.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
I hope we're not going to be ruled by the actions of morons. There a ton of evidence that we have plenty of them around.

Reactions: Andre Levite
I hope we're not going to be ruled by the actions of morons. There a ton of evidence that we have plenty of them around.

Of course we are. Back in 2012 I could fly my sUAS (multirotor, heli, plane) at just about any place in the US (except National Park Service land and then it was ok sometimes) . All I needed to do was ask the land owner/manager and I was good to go. In decades of doing this I was only refused one time and that was because the land owner was afraid it wold spook her "fainting goats". Side story: It DID! Her neighbor let me fly and my heli (Nitro Fueled) did indeed spook them LOL.

During my early days about 95% of my flying time was at local school yards day in and day out. Now if I go to fly at a school I have to get 27 signatures, submit my background check, and provide a portion of my kidney in order to help preserve "Security & anonymity" for our children.

Fast forward to today and the above scenario is almost reversed. Part of it is by the majorly biased media looking for (and creating) a Buzz Word but a lot of the "credit" goes on fellow operators who think it's ok to fly anywhere and anyway they like.

Sorry for the soapbox tantrum . . .

It's a crime against our industry and it should infuriate the test of us because actions like this are why we are seeing tighter and tighter restrictions. If we could police ourselves we wouldn't need increased Gvt restrictions but alas here we are.
Sorry, I disagree.

It's not logical to say that rules violation will bring tighter rules.
Actually this cannot happen.
Authorities should handle violations, according the law. Period.

For every restriction, there must be a reason.

If restrictions are stupid, then rule makers are idiots, and in democracy, idiots should be banned from high posts.

And in 2019, a drone operator isn't a "criminal".
If he violated some safety rules, he will get a logical fine.
But a "criminal"?

Sorry, I disagree.

It's not logical to say that rules violation will bring tighter rules.
Actually this cannot happen.
Authorities should handle violations, according the law. Period.If caught flying in these restricted areas, the operator could face criminal charges which include up to one year in federal prison and a $100,000 fine.

For every restriction, there must be a reason.

If restrictions are stupid, then rule makers are idiots, and in democracy, idiots should be banned from high posts.

And in 2019, a drone operator isn't a "criminal".
If he violated some safety rules, he will get a logical fine.
But a "criminal"?

The guy is a criminal by any definition of the word.

Public endangerment is a criminal act -- punishable by jail time in most jurisdictions.

And the FAA violations are federal crimes...

Quote from the TFZ/NFZ violations statute:
"If caught flying in these restricted areas, the operator could face criminal charges which include up to one year in federal prison and a $100,000 fine"

Last edited:
Reactions: Highflyer

Public endangerment is a criminal act -- punishable by jail time in most jurisdictions.

"If caught flying in these restricted areas, the operator could face criminal charges which include up to one year in federal prison and a $100,000 fine"
It's pretty obvious that he ran afoul of the rules, rules that exist for public safety. The still photo alone is about all that's needed for proof. This should be an easy one for the FAA. Stay tuned!

Yes, I know.

5 years ago, he would be fine. Now he's a criminal, for the same action.

And if someone violates the rule, flying over a stadium, they will make flying over the desert illegal.

And all this is logical, and "idiots" will ruin our hobby.

And rule makers, who think that a flying camera is the same with a Jumbo Jet, are clever.

I know...

5 years ago, he would be fine. Now he's a criminal, for the same action.

And if someone violates the rule, flying over a stadium, they will make flying over the desert illegal.

In your previous post you had said it was not a criminal act -- glad to see that you have come around.

Reactions: BigAl07
In your previous post you had said it was not a criminal act -- glad to see that you have come around.
I still say that he isn't a criminal.
Nobody has been killed by a drone, in the whole world.

I just said that I know, he's a criminal now, according to the law.

I still say that he isn't a criminal.
Nobody has been killed by a drone
, in the whole world.

I just said that I know, he's a criminal now, according to the law.

One of the shared goals of the FAA and recreational pilots is to reduce the number of bystander injuries caused by UAS (not just prevent deaths).

The fact that so far there have been no deaths from a consumer drone is solid evidence that the regulations are effective - thanks for making that point.

Reactions: Stealthbobber06
One of the shared goals of the FAA and recreational pilots is to reduce the number of bystander injuries caused by UAS (not just prevent deaths).

The fact that so far there have been no deaths from a consumer drone is solid evidence that the regulations are effective - thanks for making that point.

The fact that there are no deaths, even if many drone operators violate the (unfair in some instances) regulations, is evidence that drones are not dangerous for human life.

The fact that there are no deaths, even if many drone operators violate the (unfair in some instances) regulations, is evidence that drones are not dangerous for human life.

If your assertation is that humans cannot be injured by drones there is no reason to discuss safety considerations any further.

That is an extreme contrarian view that cannot be taken seriously.

I wish you good luck.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KguaooNex