Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Drone Pilot level of experience

ChristoffB

Join
Jan 14, 2019
Loc
South Africa
Hi guys,

Just something we can have a discussion about:-

This morning I was wondering... What determines the level of experience/expertise that you identify yourself to be when it comes to being a drone pilot? What do you gauge yourself on? - years, flight hours, no. of flights, overall knowledge, age, etc.?

Here's a list of "experience levels" that I copied from somewhere on the web:
  • Beginner
  • Seasoned
  • Experienced

You are more than welcome to add to the list.

Not being too 'cocky' I will put myself at "Seasoned".

Where do you put yourself and why?

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Just something we can have a discussion about:-

This morning I was wondering... What determines the level of experience/expertise that you identify yourself to be when it comes to being a drone pilot? What do you gauge yourself on? - years, flight hours, no. of flights, overall knowledge, age, etc.?

Here's a list of "experience levels" that I copied from somewhere on the web:
  • Rookie
  • Beginner
  • Novice
  • Intermediate
  • Seasoned
  • Skilled
  • Experienced
  • Advanced
  • Senior
  • Expert
I've shuffled them around a bit to what I think is more appropriate and also taken some out which I though was not.

You are more than welcome to re-arrange them as you please, or add to the list.

Not being too 'cocky' I will put myself at novice/intermediate.

Where do you put yourself and why?
The first four in the list are exactly the same. Five and six the same. Six to ten are the same.

The first four in the list are exactly the same. Five and six the same. Six to ten are the same.
My thoughts exactly. You only need three levels: novice, intermediate and advanced.

Besides: why would you need this classification?

My thoughts exactly. You only need three levels: novice, intermediate and advanced.

Besides: why would you need this classification?
You don't need it. People are quick to refer to themselves as having a certain level of experience and thereby implying that their opinion is highly ranked (or not). So my question is purely what you gauge your level by? Flight hours/no. of flights/your age, or maybe the price of the drone you are flying...?

I don't see people here using there perceived level of experience to imply that their opinion should be rated higher than the rest. Indeed, what I like about this forum is that people are respected based on the content of their posts.
Anyway: there is no objective reference whatsoever to gauge a level. Certainly with Spark drones, for which you don't need any skill at all to fly. And what does "level" refer to? Knowledge about WiFi, knowledge about regulations, proficiency in flying, proficiency in making photographs or videos?
I have a drone, I fly with it without crashing it into trees, I make pictures and videos that my family likes and I have fun.

Reactions: AirCam
I've seen pilots with a TON of hours that showed horribly flying skills. They were Experienced at bad flying and unable to fly the aircraft in any type of "situation". Inversely I've seen new pilots with very low hours flying smooth as butter and able to fly in a very tight and controlled course almost naturally.

With that being said, there is no replacement for flight hours. I find it almost comical when you ask someone how many hours they have flown and they "estimate".... their estimate is always a LOT higher than the real world numbers. It takes a lot of 5-7min flights to add up to any appreciable flight hours.

I don't see people here using there perceived level of experience to imply that their opinion should be rated higher than the rest. Indeed, what I like about this forum is that people are respected based on the content of their posts.
Anyway: there is no objective reference whatsoever to gauge a level. Certainly with Spark drones, for which you don't need any skill at all to fly. And what does "level" refer to? Knowledge about WiFi, knowledge about regulations, proficiency in flying, proficiency in making photographs or videos?
I have a drone, I fly with it without crashing it into trees, I make pictures and videos that my family likes and I have fun.
Fair enough. I was just curious, that's all. I'm sure I would have crashed my spark by now if it were to be my very first drone that I flew without any previous flying experience ever. I had a tello before the spark which gave me a lot of experience I did not have before buying my first drone. Saying that you do not need any skill to fly a spark is not entirely true.

I've seen pilots with a TON of hours that showed horribly flying skills. They were Experienced at bad flying and unable to fly the aircraft in any type of "situation". Inversely I've seen new pilots with very low hours flying smooth as butter and able to fly in a very tight and controlled course almost naturally.

With that being said, there is no replacement for flight hours. I find it almost comical when you ask someone how many hours they have flown and they "estimate".... their estimate is always a LOT higher than the real world numbers. It takes a lot of 5-7min flights to add up to any appreciable flight hours.
Thanks for your input. That's the kind of insights I was looking for. So you are saying more flights and in different situations = higher level of expertise.

Reactions: BigAl07
Thanks for your input. That's the kind of insights I was looking for. So you are saying more flights and in different situations = higher level of expertise.

Absolutely. Being able to fly lazy circles around a wide open field is good practice for THAT type of flying but does not help you fly low and fast through open doors/windows, around trees. Also being able to fly when GPS is lost etc is a BIG plus. Flying well without GPS and GYRO stabilization will really make you good at what you do.

Reactions: Andre Levite
And it's not just the total hours. It's also the frequency (how recent) you've flown.

During winter or busy times your skills will often deteriorate. What had become instinctual muscle memory becomes a conscious act once again. I'm extra cautious if I haven't flown for a while.

You don't start over from scratch but certainly a little rusty -- unless you are one of those "naturals" (I am not).

Reactions: Surfnut and BigAl07
And it's not just the total hours. It's also the frequency (how recent) you've flown.

During winter or busy times your skills will often deteriorate. What had become instinctual muscle memory becomes a conscious act once again. I'm extra cautious if I haven't flown for a while.

You don't start over from scratch but certainly a little rusty -- unless you are one of those "naturals" (I am not).

Very true. Our Dept requires you to have a MIN# of hours flown in the aircraft you're wanting to deploy with in order to be "current". We have cheap "indoor" sUAS just for this reason and to practice flying in tight quarters too.

Very true. Our Dept requires you to have a MIN# of hours flown in the aircraft you're wanting to deploy with in order to be "current". We have cheap "indoor" sUAS just for this reason and to practice flying in tight quarters too.

I guess we think alike...

Meet the indoor training crew

i would say Seasoned and the reason is i used to fly my other quads every chance i could , just about day when the weather was good . now my Spark is a different story , i got it at a really good price and only purchased it because it is small drone that i can take it with me any where i go and it doesn't look like i'm leaving home or going on vacation with the suit case size carry case that my other quads have . the Spark is really a nice quade but i don't use it as much as i should . with all the crap ( new rules ) that are coming down for drones now and in the future i would rather just keep flying RC planes . if you live in or close to a big city there is no area you can fly legally , this hobby is going down the toilet fast .
fly safe

Reactions: Andre Levite
Though I've flown many hours, I'd consider my skill or judgement pretty poor as I've lost 2 Sparks to flyaway. The first was a result of flying in an area with weak GPS. The 2nd according to Litchi personnel was likely due to "GPS inteferance" while flying a mission when I stopped to take sip of beer and admire the view. In both instances the loss could have probably been avoided had I been paying close attention with my finger ready to hit the pause button.

My 3rd Spark is due to arrive today. I'm afraid it's going to be a while before I feel confident enough to invest money in something like a Mavic.

Though I've flown many hours, I'd consider my skill or judgement pretty poor as I've lost 2 Sparks to flyaway. The first was a result of flying in an area with weak GPS. The 2nd according to Litchi personnel was likely due to "GPS inteferance" while flying a mission when I stopped to take sip of beer and admire the view. In both instances the loss could have probably been avoided had I been paying close attention with my finger ready to hit the pause button.

My 3rd Spark is due to arrive today. I'm afraid it's going to be a while before I feel confident enough to invest money in something like a Mavic.

Good news. I heard the Spark 2.0 will be sold in a 3-pack

That is good for one fly away, one battery drop and one keeper

But on a serious note...

I greatly admire your dedication to DJI. You are one dedicated dude. Thanks for sharing that story

I'm sure I would have crashed my spark by now if it were to be my very first drone that I flew without any previous flying experience ever.

The Spark is my first drone that I've purchased.

I didn't even think about a cheaper drone.

I have been very careful when practicing in the real world and have spent time in the simulator training the muscle memory of my hands and flying the Spark to a small dot and studying the telemetry as I fly in the virtual world.

To tell the truth, I was more concerned about plugging the stupid charging cord into the remote than I was about flying. :D

Thats so true. I hadnt flown my Phantom for over a year when I came to sell it, and my skills when I flew it to prove it was working made me cringe with embarassment. It does come back though, thankgod :)

I raced RC cars for many years and was a lot of fun , I know it doesn't compare with flying, still consider myself a beginner but with RC experience and still having loads of fun

Reactions: BigAl07

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast