Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Drone racers blame DJI users

Kenneth Jackson

Join
Jul 3, 2018
I was surprised that the drone racing community blames DJI users for the government crack down on the hobby. They say that GPS drones are the ones causing near misses and invading privacy.
My response was that they are flying 100 mph a few feet off of the ground. That's probably more unsafe.

Reactions: pmshop and MarRoh
I was surprised that the drone racing community blames DJI users for the government crack down on the hobby. They say that GPS drones are the ones causing near misses and invading privacy.
My response was that they are flying 100 mph a few feet off of the ground. That's probably more unsafe.
Oh dear. Oh dear. Can't believe we are arguing amongst ourselves. None of it is unsafe if guidelines are followed. Racing is a great sport and the participants are very skilled. Under controlled conditions it is very safe. Only when they venture outside of the controlled conditions is it unsafe. Just like dji'ers.

Its true that there is a level of disdain amongst some RC people about drones in general... the fixed wing guys often seem to view multi-rotors with some apprehension/dislike. I reached out to a club in central Ontario here, to see what was involved in becoming a member, and the response was pretty luke-warm once they knew I had a Spark. I dont want to generalize, but seems drones are becoming so ubiquitous that its bound to draw bad press thanks to the actions of a few morons, and of course, the fixed wing guys get lumped in with us. We all need to preach safety ...

i live in the uk, and when i got my spark i used to take it over the back of my house and fly it above (30ft max) the park when it was empty. all was fine until a couple of guys started to us racing drones flying low to the ground WHILE there was children playing in the park. now my local council has put a ban on ALL types of drones from open spaces. whats more dangerous a drone 30ft in the air doing 5 to 10 mph, when the park is empty or a drone doing in access of 60mph 5ft from the ground when there are people walking/playing.

Reactions: Marksspark

They have a point because any idiot can fly a drone. Not everyone can fly a racing quad

The new regulations have very little to do with safety so it's pointless to argue over who is to blame.

The truth is that commercial drone business will become into a multi billion industry over the next few years. The FAA is pushing hobbyist pilots out of the way so they can carve up the airspace and sell it (much like the way FCC parcels out bandwidth).

Safety is important as a pilot. But the legislature is using it as an excuse to marginalize hobbyists activities.

Reactions: Brojon
The new regulations have very little to do with safety so it's pointless to argue over who is to blame.

The truth is that commercial drone business will become into a multi billion industry over the next few years. The FAA is pushing hobbyist pilots out of the way so they can carve up the airspace and sell it (much like the way FCC parcels out bandwidth).

Safety is important as a pilot. But the legislature is using it as an excuse to marginalize hobbyists activities.
I believe you are right, and we will be powerless to do anything about it.

However, I find it hard to believe Amazon, Walmart, or anyone else will be able to make legitimate use of drone deliveries. Given the sheer volume of deliveries, even if only economically viable in select markets, people will protest the volume of traffic, and the swarm of bees above. We may not be able to hear one drone at 400 feet, but an army of drones must be loud.

If the commercial drone business is otherwise only inspections, how much space do they need?

If I am pushed into the confines of an AMA field, I will give the hobby up.

They have a point because any idiot can fly a drone. Not everyone can fly a racing quad
I don't usually jump in on these type conversations but I do take it a little personal when you start calling all of us flying drones for fun idiots. Please find some where else to talk about people and keep this forum for talking about and flying drones Please.

I don't usually jump in on these type conversations but I do take it a little personal when you start calling all of us flying drones for fun idiots. Please find some where else to talk about people and keep this forum for talking about and flying drones Please.

Please don't put words in my mouth. I never said all of you are idiots, I said any idiot can buy a drone. There's a big difference. I own a drone as well

Any idiot can buy AND can fly, a racing drone, too.

As others said too, intelligence doesn't go side by side with the type of drone, someone is flying.

Reactions: Haggi

Finger pointing is inevitable. Let it go.... The fact is, there are no NEW FAA rules to speak of yet,
so there's already blame for rules that haven't been implemented. So far the 'crackdown' includes
a test, that hasn't been written yet... Everything else in the Bill pretty much expands the FAA's
ability to act, not necessarily act.

The mentality of this whole thing usually boils down to, "I haven't hurt anyone doing things the way I
do it now, so why bother me?" This is the same short sightedness that people texting and driving
possess. It's a mindset that is potentially dangerous... and goes unchecked until something happens.

Please don't put words in my mouth. I never said all of you are idiots, I said any idiot can buy a drone. There's a big difference. I own a drone as well
Not trying to start anything but that is not what you said. You said all idots can fly a drone but not everybody can fly a racing drone. Well Im one of those idiots that can fly and do fly both. Sorry for the arguing. idiots do that too. :)

Idiots often buy things, its what makes capitalism so popular. However, in the case of drones, most consumers are not idiots, they have inquiring minds. Everyone has a right to an opinion regardless of their mental prowess... so lets put the label to rest eh! Anybody go flying today?;)

Not trying to start anything but that is not what you said. You said all idots can fly a drone but not everybody can fly a racing drone. Well Im one of those idiots that can fly and do fly both. Sorry for the arguing. idiots do that too. :)

It's pretty clear that that's not what I said. I'm not sure why you're taking my post so personally. I'm sure you have better things to worry about? Get over it because I'm long over this petty discussion. I thought you were all in like your 50's +? Sounds like I'm arguing with a bunch of school girls. Peace and happy flying..... Or bitching, whichever you prefer

Last edited:
Reactions: quad
It's prettiest

It's pretty clear that that's not what I said. I'm not sure why you're taking my post so personally. I'm sure you have better things to worry about? Get over it because I'm long over this petty discussion. I thought you were all in like your 50's +? Sounds like I'm arguing with a bunch of school girls. Peace and happy flying..... Or bitching, whichever you prefer
HAHA. this 63 year old school girl is over it. Have fun man and if I offended you in any way PLEASE accept my most humble apology. Lets flyyyyyy!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NoeFolk502