Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Drone searching for missing dog shot out of the sky by New York man, police say

Highflyer

Join
Nov 10, 2018
Loc
Sanborn, Mn (USA)
A drone being used to help search for a missing dog ended up getting shot out of the sky by a man on New York's Long Island on Saturday, police said.

The Suffolk County Police Department said in a news release Sunday that 26-year-old Gerard Chasteen is facing charges of third-degree criminal mischief and prohibited use of a weapon after firing at the drone from his yard.
The incident took place around 4:45 p.m. after members of Missing Angels-Long Island, an organization that searches for missing pets, were using a Mavic 2 Zoom drone to search for a missing dog.
NAVY CAPTAIN DESCRIBES HOW SURFACE ATTACK DRONES WILL IMPACT MARITIME WARFARE
The volunteer members lost contact with the drone, which retails over $1,300, and GPS placed it above Chasteen's home in Saint James, according to police.
$

Investigators determined the 26-year-old fired three shotgun shells into the air that struck the drone.
"Multiple shotguns were confiscated from the residence," police said.

OVnw1js.jpg
The FAA says it's illegal to shoot down a drone I wonder if he'll be charged with that? I say throw the book at him.

This is what he's charged with.

Chasteen, 26, was charged with Criminal Mischief 3rd Degree and Prohibited Use of a Weapon. Chasteen was issued a Field Appearance Ticket and will be arraigned at a later date.

I looked up New York laws.

In New York, criminal mischief in the third degree is a Class E felony with a potential punishment of up to four years in prison or five years of probation. Restitution can be added to either sentence as an additional punishment for anyone found guilty of criminal mischief in the third degree. :D

Great! This has got to stop
What would’ve happened if the AC fell on someone or crashed on highway

Bad thing could happen

Thanks for the article

Reactions: Highflyer
The FAA says to "control us" they need to consider drones as aircraft.
Well the last time I checked, shooting down or even shooting at an aircraft is illegal.

Here is some update on that incident as well as a review article from DroneLife on the topic of shooting down drones. According to the author nobody has yet been charged with a federal crime for shooting at an unmanned aircraft even though the FAA recently confirmed drones are protected by that regulation.

Drones Will Be Shot Down Until These Misconceptions Are Tackled

Should be said "Drones will be shot down until FAA grows a pair"

I like your title better.

I think FAA and the government as a whole considers hobbyist drones to be a nuisance. They'd rather legislate and regulate us out of existence than punish a citizen for targeting us illegally.

Should be said "Drones will be shot down until FAA grows a pair"
Maybe the FAA will grow a pair when law enforcement or search & rescue drone gets shot down?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme