Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Drone travel on plane? Carry on or checked?

Carry on.

Might cover the terminals with a bit of painters tape to protect them and possibly prevent a short.

Reactions: Luno
best thing to do is get a hard case.
I just put them on the belt and goes straight through.
Recently, since the Mavic Air cases are so large, I went back to the stock cases and put them in a carry on size roller bag.
Worked out very well for my past trip in Vegas.

Reactions: Luno and Spark 317
best thing to do is get a hard case.
I just put them on the belt and goes straight through.
Recently, since the Mavic Air cases are so large, I went back to the stock cases and put them in a carry on size roller bag.
Worked out very well for my past trip in Vegas.
Lithium batteries are prohibited by all airlines and the TSA in checked baggage. If you put them there and they are found they will be disposed of, possibly along with your luggage. Always put the batteries in carry-on.

Reactions: twickers14
I frequently travel throughout Europe with my drone(s). I checked the procedures carefully before I travel, but I've not had any major problems.

It varies from airline to airline, but for most of the EU, you can carry up to four LIPO batteries under 100 watt hours (For me, this is three Mavic 2/Spark batteries and my 21mAh phone pack.) in your hand baggage, NOT checked-in.
It is recommended that you discharge any batteries you will not be using to below 25% and make sure they cannot short. I use camkix LIPO explosion proof bags for mine.
On going through security, I put the drone, the controller and all its batteries in the electronics tray and declare the lot as carry-on baggage.

I've been stopped twice while travelling with a drone. The first time I ever travelled with a drone, I got stopped and pulled aside because...I had a 50ml container of hand gel in my sponge bag I had forgotten about. The security guy also said 'Hey, is that a Spark? I own a Phantom!'. We ended up happily geeking out about drones while he checked my hand luggage.:D

The second time I got stopped because the security dude was unfamiliar with LiPo explosion-proof bags. I explained what they were (never use the word 'explosion' to airport security- I saw the poor man flinch!), and he took the batteries out and swabbed the bag and they went through no problem.

Other than those two instances, I've had no issues. I guess I'd have avoided the second one if I hadn't used the explosion proof bags, but I feel they are a suitable extra layer of safety and best practice when travelling with high-voltage batteries. The most common reaction I've had is a certain amount of drooling and quite a few chats with drone-owning security guards or passengers. I realised that a lot of folks get jobs at airport due to a general fascination with anything airborne, so normally they are friendly and interested...and a little bit envious!

My experience totally although I haven’t broken out the Spark packages like you have-they’ve remained in my carry-on packed as required by each airline. Re security checks I have two metal hips which get picked up in the scanner every time and regularly, having gone through fine, the checker has said “hey buddy, my Dad’s just about to have a hip op, what’s it like”, or words to that effect. They’re just humans like us!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef