Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Dunked Spark in River. Salvageable?

Join
Dec 31, 2017
I crashed my Spark in a frozen river a few days ago. It took me about 20-30 minutes to find it and fish it out. When I pulled it out the lights came back on while I was running back to my car but it died shortly after that and has not been able to charge or turn on since then.

Is there anything I can do to try to get it working again?

It was freshwater, not saltwater btw.

I was able to get the footage from the crash off the sd card and found that it had been recording under water for over a minute before it stopped. Pretty impressive! Hopefully I didn’t fry it completely though :(

Mistake #1...Turning it on before it dried out

Reactions: Edikfly
Mistake #1...Turning it on before it dried out

I didn’t turn it on. I just noticed that the lights came on while I was running back to the car. My hands and feet were too frozen to stop and figure it out as it was 10 degrees F out. By the time I got back to my car it was dead.

Take the battery off an allow the Spark to dry for a few days. Some say put it in rice, but I read that's a "wives tale".

Take the battery off an allow the Spark to dry for a few days. Some say put it in rice, but I read that's a "wives tale".

Did all that. It’s been 5 days. I left the battery disconnected from the drone the whole time. Still can’t get the battery to turn on or charge. Maybe it’s just the battery though? I ordered a new battery but it hasn’t got here yet. Is there anything else I should try in the mean time?

Also, do you have DJI Refresh?

Did all that. It’s been 5 days. I left the battery disconnected from the drone the whole time. Still can’t get the battery to turn on or charge. Maybe it’s just the battery though? I ordered a new battery but it hasn’t got here yet. Is there anything else I should try in the mean time?
I wouldn't have wasted my money or the battery...the success rate on water damage is very low.

Well if I can’t fix it I’m getting a new one anyway so the new battery will get used either way.
I know you don't want to hear this, but I'll say it anyway.

If you are not that familiar with the drone, it's HIGHLY recommended to stay away from water.

Reactions: Edikfly
Also, if you do buy another Spark you can use your existing RC, thus it'll save you a few $

If you have to buy another spark before you go to the store you should check on the app let go or offer up. I found the combo deal for 450 brand new in wrapped box. There are a lot of people selling just the spark in my area and you might be able to save a few bucks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayitsomar