Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Erratic, skidding, jumping bean

basily

Join
Oct 2, 2019
Loc
Huayapam, Oaxaca, Mexico
I'm not sure what the problem is, but just tried to fly my spark and completely lost confidence in it.

Jumping bean or what is described here or here seems very similar to what just happened to me.

I was flying using Litchi and almost lost it when it came back down right on the edge of my roof (my main launchpad) then skidded around a bit. Tried again in the patio, with litchi, with dji app, and with no app, just controller, and I couldn't draw any correlation. Sometimes ok, sometimes skidding or bouncing around. Sometimes starting motors, but wouldn't take off. Tried 2 different batteries too. Did a compass calibration, twice. Got an error a couple of times, but perhaps was doing it wrong (I always get messed up by the incorrect diagram on the dji app for nose down). I'm wondering if I messed up the compass when I took it apart last week to repair a cracked gimbal motor mount and didn't realize that it was a bad idea to use a magnetized screw driver.

But, I've flown on 2 occasions since the crash and repair with no issues. I also calibrated the IMU and compass after that repair. I think there was a firmware update somewhere in there - could that be it? Anyone else had issues?

Sorry for the rambling post - I really love flying my Spark, and it's hard to launch waypoint missions with any confidence when it starts acting erratically... :-(

I probably can't help, but you mentioned a magnetic screwdriver and reminded me of this tool, the Cfixer.

I have read that it solved some compass error problems by degaussing the compass on the Spark.

A hobby shop or a jeweler (used on watches?) may have a similar product to use.

If anything it's something else to think about and research via Google.

I wonder if the flight logs show anything? They can be retrieved by following the instructions here.

Another option is to set up an AIRDATA account and maybe something will show up in the logs?

Good luck. :)

Reactions: basily
i have the same issue i proceed by replacing the button sensor but nothing happen , hope someone could help us

Reactions: basily
I probably can't help, but you mentioned a magnetic screwdriver and reminded me of this tool, the Cfixer.

I have read that it solved some compass error problems by degaussing the compass on the Spark.

A hobby shop or a jeweler (used on watches?) may have a similar product to use.

If anything it's something else to think about and research via Google.

I wonder if the flight logs show anything? They can be retrieved by following the instructions here.

Another option is to set up an AIRDATA account and maybe something will show up in the logs?

Good luck. :)

Thanks for your feedback and support. Losing my Spark is like losing a good friend :eek:

I did check the airdata logs, and there's nothing that jumps out as a problem. DJI logs are incomplete because I fly mostly with litchi.

As for degaussing, looks interesting, but if it were a compass error, how to explain several successful flights after the repair, over several days? And shouldn't i be getting a compass error if this was the case?

Last thing that I'm wondering, is maybe it was just too **** hot. It was a hot afternoon and I was on my hot roof. I might try again this morning, now that it's cool... if I dare... Fingers crossed...

Reactions: Spark 317
i have the same issue i proceed by replacing the button sensor but nothing happen , hope someone could help us

After some testing and thinking, and considering your comment, I think I know what the problem with my drone is. And your problem might be the same.

You mentioned that you replaced the bottom sensor, and I remembered when I took my drone apart in order to glue my gimbal motor frame, part of the disassembly was disconnecting the bottom sensor. This connector is the one that has the white rubbery glue all around it.

See:

So I think the issue might be twofold:

1. If you have to disconnect that sensor, it is impossible to properly reconnect without removing that white rubbery glue. I believe that it stays underneath the sensor whereas it should cover the sensor. Thus pushing the sensor loose.

2. After removing that glue and reconnecting the sensor connector, we probably need to replace with a similar glue. I replaced it with glue from a hot glue gun, and so far it's okay but I am not sure that is the best solution.

Perhaps just having removed the original glue is enough, because I think the main problem was that rubbery stuff pushing the connector up. I may reopen my drone once more to remove the glue I put in and replace it either with some kind of silicone glue, gasket sealer, or perhaps the best is sugru because it's the easiest to work with. On the other hand if after a few test flights it seems okay I may leave well enough alone.

I hope this helps you too!

so you think that we probably need to replace with a similar glue , so why the drone show me that the VPS sensor are in the statue N/A so disable but all the VPS sensor are plugin and detected very well and don't get any error on the dji app

so you think that we probably need to replace with a similar glue , so why the drone show me that the VPS sensor are in the statue N/A so disable but all the VPS sensor are plugin and detected very well and don't get any error on the dji app

I'm not sure. But in my experience, if a connector is not plugged in properly, you will get unpredictable results.

In my flights, I only saw the VPS sensor error once on the DJI app, but it was acting strange other times too.

Also, I'm not sure if your problem is the same as mine, but it sounds like it might be.

Anyway, I think it's worth a try for you. So far, I have been flying only "safe" missions, and 4 flights and no problems yet. I left the glue from the hot glue gun because I don't want to risk opening the drone to often. So far so good, but if I had to do it again, I would use Sugru for sure.

I don't know how much experience you have making such repairs, maybe more than me, but to be on the safe side, I recommend much patience, and if you can, have a few different shapes of x-acto blade to help remove the old glue.

I'm not sure. But in my experience, if a connector is not plugged in properly, you will get unpredictable results.

In my flights, I only saw the VPS sensor error once on the DJI app, but it was acting strange other times too.

Also, I'm not sure if your problem is the same as mine, but it sounds like it might be.

Anyway, I think it's worth a try for you. So far, I have been flying only "safe" missions, and 4 flights and no problems yet. I left the glue from the hot glue gun because I don't want to risk opening the drone to often. So far so good, but if I had to do it again, I would use Sugru for sure.

I don't know how much experience you have making such repairs, maybe more than me, but to be on the safe side, I recommend much patience, and if you can, have a few different shapes of x-acto blade to help remove the old glue.
i did it but nothing change

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Detlef