Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Scary flight experience

Antiboost

Join
Jul 29, 2021
Just lately ive been experiencing heavy yaw pitches in flight. Even in normal mode. After some advice I checked gimbal which works perfectly in hand. Reset IMU always calibrate compass etc. I had 11 gps sats. Wind was mild at takeoff. Now UAV FORECAST is bad with 28mph gusts Forecast! Anyway I flew today and thought I was going to loose it, I had a crash still. I generally return with RTH for a direct path back as I’m still a novice. I received wind warnings so hit RTH, planning to take control again later, and descend nearer. I fly from a very high point into a low area.. Anyway Sparky decided in a former life he was a drunken crab and started swinging wildly as you can see in the video. At times during RTH it was facing backwards. I tried cancelling the RTH to descend into stiller air, which was unresponsive and failed repeatedly. After a few minutes it was apparent it was getting closer under RTH although still drunken, and it settled down at a height of 54M. It hung over the house, and wouldn’t decent under RTH or accept manual intervention. I turned off the controller as the drone battery had gone low during the crabbing and hover.I managed to regain some control using the controller but maybe me, or it’s drunken behaviour it crashed after descending with minimal damage. Any advice apart from descend before RTH in wind, I recent learned that from YouTube and the drowned Mini 2 video.

Maybe a combination of strong winds and incorrect RTH? Did the RTH set correctly before gaining altitude at the beginning of your flight? Did you get any error messages?

Maybe a combination of strong winds and incorrect RTH? Did the RTH set correctly before gaining altitude at the beginning of your flight? Did you get any error messages?
Thanks for your suggestions. The RTH was correct I took off a few metres from where I crashed it.
What worried me is after it got back at 50 metres height it was unresponsive and the way it got back like a drunk crab.
I got strong wind warning, did RTH as I know wind kills battery and thought it would safest and quickest.
I got errors when trying to cancel RTH as I wanted to drop height to try and find calmer condition.
Thanks

I've had some similar experience to erratic behavior like that when I didn't calibrate my drone before flight. I had hiked up into the hills to do some flying, once I got there, my drone was not responding correctly. I landed it and did a Calibration and it was fine after that. So who knows???

Make sure your wifi and bluetooth are turned off. Mine does funky things if the Wifi on my phone is on and I'm connected to a wifi access point. I've flown from our front door several times but, when I'm connected to our router that's just 12 feet away, sparky doesn't like it.

Reactions: SoccerRef12
I've had some similar experience to erratic behavior like that when I didn't calibrate my drone before flight. I had hiked up into the hills to do some flying, once I got there, my drone was not responding correctly. I landed it and did a Calibration and it was fine after that. So who knows???

Make sure your wifi and bluetooth are turned off. Mine does funky things if the Wifi on my phone is on and I'm connected to a wifi access point. I've flown from our front door several times but, when I'm connected to our router that's just 12 feet away, sparky doesn't like it.
It’s scary! Going to use my old phone purely for Sparky. I have a big mast near me that might be microwave transmission

Attachments

• 0868AD81-F2C4-402A-AD4C-DC670C7512D5.jpeg
    0868AD81-F2C4-402A-AD4C-DC670C7512D5.jpeg
    530.7 KB · Views: 11
Reactions: NWSpark

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChunGreenh