Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Europe Spark Distance Boost

617 meters. Didn't realise how far out I'd gone. It was on a quiet long empty stretch of beach.
Edit to add, max altitude of 126.9M

Cheers - the bebop2 max'd out at 150m altitude (think that was a setting) but I got way farther than 600m, maybe twice that, although a lot of that will no doubt be down to the monstrous size of the wifi antenna on the Skycontroller 1.

There was room for more, and there wasn't any signal degradation on the video feed. I wouldn't wanna go any further though.

So?

If I'm in the middle of nowhere, there is no logical reason why 1500m is a problem, for the most part its to ensure the signal is reliable at the shorter distances and that just happens to transfer into greater distance.

At the moment the Spark is a far more dangerous tool because its losing connection at shorter legal distances. Today it broke connection at 275 meters and 100m high and a low flying helicopter popped past from nowhere from the local hospital (yes I know about notams, and air space categories), it was pure luck it missed it, because if I flew 100m to the right, it would have possibly hit it as the screen goes blank and you lose all control while RTH is invoked. That's a good, truthful real world example of how overzealous locking down of things can cause more harm than good. Even when flying within the limits.

Someone with good intentions and awareness flying 1500m away is safer than someone with bad intentions flying 50m, or play lottery with drop out connections and DJI's silly enforced RTH altitude.

I do agree with the OP that the unreliability of Spark connection due to deliberate underpowering the Sparks controller poses a greater danger, more so in urban areas. I can understand those who take the higher moral ground but just because the car can driven over 250km/hr means that you should. Worse is CE mode seems to be applied to generally the rest of the world. I have flown in FCC and CE although I do not fly over 500m distance, the difference is night and day in connection.

Reactions: sebip
It would not be so bad if DJI made swapping antennas an easy job, but I'm worried the lack of power the unit is pushing out would not do them justice. It looks like a lot of work to get them fitted.

For me I find filming with the spark hard because the thing breaks up a lot (even within its legal distance), so that affects the smoothness of my shots, and my control over it. Its a complete lottery what you will get as every location is different.

I'm going to wait until the next patch to see what DJI do about this, they must be aware and they have hinted with the most recent DJI GO update they have looked into this, but I think we need to wait for the next patch.

I have had so many videos and controller disconnects with this thing. More in the last week, than I have in 3+ years of DJI products.
The donkeys making DJI reduce the power output are too stupid to realize how their rules are making these drones more dangerous and fueling a black market for hacked stuff.

It would not be so bad if DJI made swapping antennas an easy job, but I'm worried the lack of power the unit is pushing out would not do them justice. It looks like a lot of work to get them fitted.

For me I find filming with the spark hard because the thing breaks up a lot (even within its legal distance), so that affects the smoothness of my shots, and my control over it. Its a complete lottery what you will get as every location is different.

I'm going to wait until the next patch to see what DJI do about this, they must be aware and they have hinted with the most recent DJI GO update they have looked into this, but I think we need to wait for the next patch.

I have had so many videos and controller disconnects with this thing. More in the last week, than I have in 3+ years of DJI products.
The donkeys making DJI reduce the power output are too stupid to realize how their rules are making these drones more dangerous and fueling a black market for hacked stuff.

Seriously think you have a defective unit. I’d contact DJI and ask for an exchange.

Reactions: Peter Powers
Seriously think you have a defective unit. I’d contact DJI and ask for an exchange.

I did exchange it, I am on my second unit.
I still think the range issues need work. I have gotten near 900m out of it, so not bad at all despite bad break ups the last 300, but I still think the unit could be better for sub 500m signal quality.

I got a different parabolic thing coming in the post, which I hope will get me over the 1000m mark in my test area.
if I could get a 1000m out of the thing for when I feel lazy or want to explore and a consistent solid feed up to 500m which does not lag the camera I would be happy.

I'll keep the drone anyway, its far too cool to sell and I feel it will get better with the next firmware update. If not; I will look into antenna mods on the controller, and the craft itself.

The antenna mod on the controller really isn't that difficult, I had to take mine apart again last night as I hadn't tightened one of the nuts on the RPA connector up tight enough, it took 20 minutes tops from start to finish although it was easier second time around.

With the cheap 8dbi antennas shown in the photo below I've been 3,500 feet out on CE 2.4ghz and still have 2 bars showing. I've just bought a pair of APA-M25 directional antennas to try.. I have tried the FCC APK too but I've bought a Crystalsky since.

Attachments

• 20170826_162604.jpg
    20170826_162604.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 32
Not sure if we're allowed to talk about hacks here, but long story short, I really need more range from my DJI Spark or I'm taking it back to the shop and getting a refund as I have a 30 days no quibble thing.

I didn't pay £700 for something that drops connection if the viewing conditions are less than perfect and while this is an amazing little machine, between the gimbal twitching, the relatively short long range on it, and knowing it frequently cuts out even within a 100m radius if I go behind something, its really really killing my enjoyment of the thing as all my videos have a intermittent twitches, and while its a drone I can take everywhere, the lack of signal strength mean, its not a drone I want to take everywhere becuase I know it either won't fly far enough, or the conditions will mean I get breakups and disconnects at short range.

I am using a good iphone and the OTG cable, so on paper this should be the best scenario.

I love everything else, and I accept the twitching is not that bad, and will get better, but at the moment the range is a deal breaker, it was not at the start as I was in awe of this thing, but the honey moon period is over, and I'm starting to have second doubts and the clock is ticking on when I can take this back, so what are the options, and how effective, costly are they?

Hacking.
Antenna Update.
Parabolic

Etc.

if I could get 1500m in good conditions, and a more consistent experience with less cut outs in the short range that would help.

I'm sure I am not alone!
Not sure if we're allowed to talk about hacks here, but long story short, I really need more range from my DJI Spark or I'm taking it back to the shop and getting a refund as I have a 30 days no quibble thing.

I didn't pay £700 for something that drops connection if the viewing conditions are less than perfect and while this is an amazing little machine, between the gimbal twitching, the relatively short long range on it, and knowing it frequently cuts out even within a 100m radius if I go behind something, its really really killing my enjoyment of the thing as all my videos have a intermittent twitches, and while its a drone I can take everywhere, the lack of signal strength mean, its not a drone I want to take everywhere becuase I know it either won't fly far enough, or the conditions will mean I get breakups and disconnects at short range.

I am using a good iphone and the OTG cable, so on paper this should be the best scenario.

I love everything else, and I accept the twitching is not that bad, and will get better, but at the moment the range is a deal breaker, it was not at the start as I was in awe of this thing, but the honey moon period is over, and I'm starting to have second doubts and the clock is ticking on when I can take this back, so what are the options, and how effective, costly are they?

Hacking.
Antenna Update.
Parabolic

Etc.

if I could get 1500m in good conditions, and a more consistent experience with less cut outs in the short range that would help.

I'm sure I am not alone!

Hacking.
Antenna Update.
Parabolic

Etc.

I'm sure I am not alone!
Hi Antenna
I don´t understand that everybody talk so much about distance, as far as I know you are not allowed, in most countries, to fly longer than you can see your Drone and I can't see my Spark after 1000 meter maybe less

Hi Antenna
I don´t understand that everybody talk so much about distance, as far as I know you are not allowed, in most countries, to fly longer than you can see your Drone and I can't see my Spark after 1000 meter maybe less
If you could do distance, it means that it will fly perfectly, with minimum lags and cuts, when you fly it at an usual distance.

Hacking.
Antenna Update.
Parabolic

Etc.

I'm sure I am not alone!
You are not. I have the Mavic and the Spark and absolutely cringe when I use the spark for the same reasons. While I accept it’s not a Mavic the intermittent breaking up is what bothers me most. I sent my back to DJI. I’m awaiting for it to come back. I feel like I got swindled because I judged the performance of my Mavic when decided to buy the spark but have been disappointed. My video transmission cuts out close and far. I see some people getting 5000 feet distance with no issues I barely get a few hundred feet sometimes less than 30 ft with choppy video. I have use with the OTG and without. All software updates. I’d get the Mavic if I were you. The Spark is in a different class compared to the Mavic. The Mavic is like a trusty iPhone. It just works!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav