Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

FAA Targets 2021 for Launch of Remote ID

Some elements of the paper may offer some degree of optimism, other parts not so much. The FAA administrator's push to have some aspect ready to deploy by the end of this year seems to "just get something going", but still seems rushed to me. The congressional mandate was laid down four years ago and the FAA's glacial pace has pushed them into the position of having to deliver. On the one hand, the slim hope that a non-networked solution (i.e., broadcast) doesn't seem to be dead, the interests of the selected cohort don't represent the hobbyist or Part 107 drone operators as evidenced by the exclusion of people like DJI. I muse at how the titanic efforts and plans of big governments have all been forced to make huge adjusts by the smallest of biological entities. Budgets are strained, forcing a redistribution of funding to deal with the immediate threat of Covid-19 and until the world economy recovers in a few years, I see that trend continuing. I am hopeful the unintended benefit will be that a slower, phased implementation will leave room for our interests to be considered and respected.

Thanks for the post, RotorWash.

Reactions: RotorWash
Some elements of the paper may offer some degree of optimism, other parts not so much. The FAA administrator's push to have some aspect ready to deploy by the end of this year seems to "just get something going", but still seems rushed to me. The congressional mandate was laid down four years ago and the FAA's glacial pace has pushed them into the position of having to deliver. On the one hand, the slim hope that a non-networked solution (i.e., broadcast) doesn't seem to be dead, the interests of the selected cohort don't represent the hobbyist or Part 107 drone operators as evidenced by the exclusion of people like DJI. I muse at how the titanic efforts and plans of big governments have all been forced to make huge adjusts by the smallest of biological entities. Budgets are strained, forcing a redistribution of funding to deal with the immediate threat of Covid-19 and until the world economy recovers in a few years, I see that trend continuing. I am hopeful the unintended benefit will be that a slower, phased implementation will leave room for our interests to be considered and respected.

Thanks for the post, RotorWash.
And thank you for your great comment sir, lots of good points. The exclusion of DJI would seem to indicate the broadcast only option is a no-go but I guess that's not much of a surprise. I do hope that broadcast gets left in there though as the current coverage for network based would be limiting for a lot of pilots and places. LEO sats will probably factor in this at some point in its evolution.

Reactions: I B Spectre
Just an off topic comment on remote ID.

My wife and I were walking the dogs in a wooded area on a trail enjoying the day.

We both heard a buzzing noise in the air and sure enough, "DRONE!"

I pulled out my phone and pretended to find out more information and my wife rolled her eyes. :rolleyes:

We didn't see it, just heard it above the trees doing a fly by.

My thought was, "Cool, another drone pilot in my area! I wonder who it is?" :)

Reactions: RotorWash

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChunGreenh