Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Filming paragliders - Increase visibility

JoostGT3

Join
Nov 9, 2017
Loc
Netherlands
Last weekend, I filmed some paragliding buddies of mine!

Afterward, I talked with the guy whom I had been filming, and -despite the fact that he knew I was around- he hadn't seen or heard me the entire time. We took a lot of precautions to keep it safe, but it got me thinking; what would be the best way to increase air-to-air visibility of a drone? (I filmed this with my Mavic Pro, but the principle is the same for the Spark)

I thought about adding streamers, a whistle, etc. What would you do? I don't think painting it in a bright color or adding strobes will help much on a bright sunny day!

Afterward, I talked with the guy whom I had been filming, and -despite the fact that he knew I was around- he hadn't seen or heard me the entire time. We took a lot of precautions to keep it safe, but it got me thinking; what would be the best way to increase air-to-air visibility of a drone? (I filmed this with my Mavic Pro, but the principle is the same for the Spark)

I thought about adding streamers, a whistle, etc. What would you do? I don't think painting it in a bright color or adding strobes will help much on a bright sunny day!

Something that small there is nothing you can do.
Especially NO STREAMERS :D
You might be able to attach a small strobe light system?

Best thing is to be a responsive pilot.
See a quick turn or pass, be quicker to avoid.
But all of that seems to be a rather safe distance.
Great job!

Reactions: JoostGT3
Haha thanks! Yeah, streamers didn't seem like a good idea to me either!
Strobes might help, but on a bright sunny day? Not too sure.

I have to admit that the best strategy seems to be to have only one paraglider in the air, and just keep him in sight, preferably above or below it, and aft or sideways. That way you'll have the most separation and the smallest chance in accidentally colliding...

I remember streamers back in the day of tethered fixed wing combat duels... but not for copters! Strobe would be the only thing I can think of... and as suggested, keeping a healthy distance at all times.
Oh, that sounds awesome! (the streamers on fixed wing combat duels that is). *Heads off to youtube to try and find videos of that* :cool:

Strobes won't work. Spark is still too small.

You would need like an airliner size landing light! And even then, pilot still have midair from time to time, so...

Strobes won't work. Spark is still too small.

You would need like an airliner size landing light! And even then, pilot still have midair from time to time, so...

Ya, you are right... when do we get zoom lenses on our drones?

This is what you need shooting out of the Spark on a regular basis (after all, look at the name...):Screen Shot 2018-05-10 at 12.22.45 PM.png

Reactions: Ih8unot
What truly happens:

The following chart is for two average size single engines going at each other. As you can imagine, there is very little chance for a pilot to avoid a drone, let alone a small thingy like the Spark.

Which reminds me to ask you for a favor: Yes 336 allows you to be over 400 feet, but please consider the risks involved.

Thank you.

Screen Shot 2018-05-10 at 12.23.17 PM.png

Great video! My suggestion is some type of audible alarm that makes a loud chirping sound. That way the person in the paraglider does not have to maintain a visual on your drone but can listen for it and easily determine both position and also distance based on the volume.

Dont do it. Faa gets wind of it and...

Great job!

Great job!
Time and space... what a weirdo.

Be cognizant of what you are filming and where your aircraft is in relation to everything around it.

The firehouse strobes are incredibly bright, adding one will definitely increase the visibility of the drone.

Reactions: JoostGT3 and pmshop

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit