Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Flying Above Dense Fog

NEVER FLY IN FOG. In fog your spark looses reference to ground and altitude. You cannot go down as the A/C goes immediatly in landing mode

We had a super dense fog over the weekend and I thought it would be a good chance to see what it would look like above it. Hope you guys enjoy. Thanks.

What I love about your video, is that it looks so different from all of the usual Spark videos! Maybe you shouldn't fly in the fog, but if you hadn't taken the chance then we would never have seen this cool and creative video! Good Job!

NEVER FLY IN FOG. In fog your spark looses reference to ground and altitude. You cannot go down as the A/C goes immediatly in landing mode

Thanks for the advice. I did get one warning about the ground sensors but it didn't seem to have any affect on the controls.

What I love about your video, is that it looks so different from all of the usual Spark videos! Maybe you shouldn't fly in the fog, but if you hadn't taken the chance then we would never have seen this cool and creative video! Good Job!

Thanks, I have been really eager to make a cool video but I don't get enough footage to put them together. This whole video was done on 3 separate batteries. I think that I need to take some time and think about what I want the end result to look like instead of just getting in the air and "trying" to get a good shot. Also I do all of my editing on my iPhone (which probably isn't the best platform). For some reason I can't get my video's to upload on YouTube in 1080 though. If anyone know's the best way to get an upload in 1080 on YouTube from a mobile device I would love to hear how.

What does that do to the drone? It shouldn't affect you if you just go up and down.

Thanks, I have been really eager to make a cool video but I don't get enough footage to put them together. This whole video was done on 3 separate batteries. I think that I need to take some time and think about what I want the end result to look like instead of just getting in the air and "trying" to get a good shot. Also I do all of my editing on my iPhone (which probably isn't the best platform). For some reason I can't get my video's to upload on YouTube in 1080 though. If anyone know's the best way to get an upload in 1080 on YouTube from a mobile device I would love to hear how.
Try using adobe premiere rush and make sure your using SD card footage.

I discovered that the other day when I went up into the fog and controls seem to become unresponsive and I got a landing now alert. Was able to regain control and maneuver to a safer lower altitude. Quite scary for a minute or so.

Reactions: Rocco Germani
I discovered that the other day when I went up into the fog and controls seem to become unresponsive and I got a landing now alert. Was able to regain control and maneuver to a safer lower altitude. Quite scary for a minute or so.
Yeah, it's a good thing you can still maneuver it in landing mode.

Perhaps next time try that, unless it was the VPS that was causing the problem instead of the obstacle avoidance sensors...

It most likely was the VPS.

You can't turn off the VPS (bottom camera) that works with the bottom IR sensor.

You can turn off the obstacle avoidance, but that is looking forward, which may allow you to fly forward but it's the bottom sensors that confuse the Spark into thinking the fog is solid and ether tries to land on it or avoid it causing it to rise above the fog.

I don't have the Litchi app but from what I've read in this Forum, you can disable the sensors.

It most likely was the VPS.

You can't turn off the VPS (bottom camera) that works with the bottom IR sensor.

You can turn off the obstacle avoidance, but that is looking forward, which may allow you to fly forward but it's the bottom sensors that confuse the Spark into thinking the fog is solid and ether tries to land on it or avoid it causing it to rise above the fog.

I don't have the Litchi app but from what I've read in this Forum, you can disable the sensors.
I've used litchi before, and my friend had a Flyaway with his spark.. we were lucky to get it back, and I don't recommend using it.

I used to fly an ultralight aircraft and one cold morning there was a fair bit of fog about but had holes in it so I thought I would fly up through it. I could still see back to earth through the holes so I knew where I was all the time. What was really amazing was my ultralight shadow on the fog below me about 15 meters. It was a perfect circular rainbow. I wish I’d had a camera to record it. It was stunning. If you went too high it turned into a normal wispy shadow but down close to the fog was beautiful.
Next time you fly above it try filming straight at your shadow.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dayanadiast