Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Flying DJI spark in Florida

Jiri Petr

Join
Jun 19, 2017
hey guys, this year we are going to do florida road trip and it will be first road trip with drone. my question is: do i hace to register spark in usa as i am living in ireland and we dont have to unless drone has 1kg up. I read almost everything about flying drone in Florida but dont know if i have to register it if i am going just on holiday.

Reactions: Jiri Petr
Just make sure to watch out for the NFZ's! Southern Florida is full of them...
Also interested in where you'll be going to in Florida, who knows, maybe we'll randomly run into each other! (hopefully not the drones running into each other though ;))

starting in Orlando then Tampa, Clearwater, Siesta key, Fort Meyers, Naples and Everglades. We did other side with Keys in 2013. Hope to get some nice shots :)

Reactions: Bubbles!!!
starting in Orlando then Tampa, Clearwater, Siesta key, Fort Meyers, Naples and Everglades. We did other side with Keys in 2013. Hope to get some nice shots :)

Sounds like a fun trip, were are in the Ft Myers/Sanibel area. Be careful in the Everglades as most of it is a National Park.

All Florida state parks are no-fly zones. All theme-parks are no-fly zones (Disney etc.,) Military bases are NFZ. All National parks are no-fly zones. Orlando requires permit to fly in city limits. There are other small towns that have probably passed laws about drone flying. Getting more restrictive each day. If you are out where there are not a lot of people you will probably be fine. Normal US FAA restrictions - not within 5 miles of airport, not over 400 feet etc....

Reactions: Jiri Petr
All Florida state parks are no-fly zones. All theme-parks are no-fly zones (Disney etc.,) Military bases are NFZ. All National parks are no-fly zones. Orlando requires permit to fly in city limits. There are other small towns that have probably passed laws about drone flying. Getting more restrictive each day. If you are out where there are not a lot of people you will probably be fine. Normal US FAA restrictions - not within 5 miles of airport, not over 400 feet etc....
thx for info, want to make just few videos on the beach etc no in cities so i should be ok :) thx again

I am in Sarasota (Siesta Key), you should have no problem flying around here. There are no airports near Siesta and I think the Spark is so much less intimidating that people don't care much.

I never knew that you couldn't fly in state parks, that is stupid! It is my understanding that my tax dollars pay for that state park to exist in the first place, I think I should be able to take pictures and videos of it if I want to. I don't have a right to invade another persons privacy or endanger air crafts in my area for sure, but I think I can take a photo of a state park without doing either of those things.

We are headed to Panama City Beach in a couple of weeks. About four years ago, I believe I might have been the first person to fly the original Phantom. Most of the people were curious, and there were no problems. Does anyone know if we will have any problems flying there?
Firestat.

I never knew that you couldn't fly in state parks, that is stupid! It is my understanding that my tax dollars pay for that state park to exist in the first place, I think I should be able to take pictures and videos of it if I want to.
I think Florida added that law right after they banned drones from National Parks. I've heard of a couple guys on these forums being asked to leave by park rangers or face a stiff fine.
I understand why they have the law but, if you aren't bothering the wildlife or someones quiet picnic or nature walk you should be able to fly. Problem with that is the folks who don't care if they chase or scare the wildlife or care if they are annoying someone would be the ones ruining it for everyone else who are more considerate pilots. Speaking of rules, look at the UK, they now will have to register and take a test to get licensed for a drone just because some stupid idiots insisted on flying within 300 feet of passenger aircraft on approach to land.
Nasa did a study recently that cited drone noise as being more annoying than louder cars, made people more nervous.
If DJI or one of the prop makers could come up with a swept tip (or more silent) prop, it might help the industry.

The FAA has an app out...B4UFLY App...free download, gives you all the info you need for immediate and surrounding areas...

We are headed to Panama City Beach in a couple of weeks. About four years ago, I believe I might have been the first person to fly the original Phantom. Most of the people were curious, and there were no problems. Does anyone know if we will have any problems flying there?
Firestat.
See you there! :)

I am going to be in the fort Meyer area and I was wondering if you can fly around the beaches there and of course stay away from airports and populated areas.

Speaking of rules, look at the UK, they now will have to register and take a test to get licensed for a drone just because some stupid idiots insisted on flying within 300 feet of passenger aircraft on approach to land.

Whilst not yet true, there is a test coming. However the feeling is that it will be a very lightweight test that is similar to the test that the DJI App sets us at present. The "licence" will be little more that proof of having passed the test. It is likely that the test will be online or in the App. Tests like these are really used later in court as part of the prosecution i.e. You passed the test so you knew what you were doing is illegal, rather than pleading ignorance.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme