Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Flying in State Parks....NOT?

twickers14

Join
Sep 6, 2018
Loc
SW U.K.
Afternoon all from a windy but sunny Bristol UK. Over the last days there have been one or two posts with.....”flew over/within the State Park at.....wherever”. As far as I can see from the FAA drone rules it is not allowed. Some I presume fly outside the perimeter of the Parks but with camera directed at the Park. What is the Law on this? Need to know as we will be in South West Florida in a couple of months (can’t wait).

As one of the people who flew just outside of a state park and directed the camera over the park, I don't see how this this can be interpreted as a violation as long as you have checked to be sure you're not in a NFZ.
Must have been you if you posted that you had. Totally agree with you.

Afternoon all from a windy but sunny Bristol UK. Over the last days there have been one or two posts with.....”flew over/within the State Park at.....wherever”. As far as I can see from the FAA drone rules it is not allowed. Some I presume fly outside the perimeter of the Parks but with camera directed at the Park. What is the Law on this? Need to know as we will be in South West Florida in a couple of months (can’t wait).
I fly my Drone inside Markham Park - South Florida without any problem. In fact there's an airport for RC airplanes, a trail for RC truck crawlers. This is a great park for flying

Last edited:
I fly my Drone inside Markham Park - South Florida without any problem. In fact there's an airport for RC airplanes, a trail for RC truck crawlers. This is a great park for flying
Looks a good place. We drop into Sawgrass occasionally but we stay on the west coast. Safe flying.

Reactions: lferrero
I know in Canada all Federal Parks are No Go zones. Even if they are just filled with just trees, or a old fort, like the one at the end of my dads street.

A little stupid of you ask me.
It's worth noting Steve that if you go through the regs on aircraft in Canada's National Parks you'll see that it's not illegal to fly in the airspace above them but illegal to take-off or land within the park's boundaries. However if taking off from outside the perimeter you still legally have to maintain VLOS so one wouldn't get very far inside most parks for sure. Also, if park wardens felt the drone bothered any wildlife that could be considered an offense. Interestingly the regs state that you can do an emergency landing in the park if necessary. The NPs also offer permits for special need and commercial flights from within the park that they may allow based on submitted applications.

I’ll add info for Rhode Island, the little ocean state, state parks have rules that you cannot fly. I know a park ranger and they state they know they don’t have any teeth in their rules. So I happen to use those areas in a very respectful way and if a park ranger asked me to stop I would.

for state and national parks l, I understand the laws are the FAA regulates the air space over the parks. No take off or landing. Not sure if you can be standing on park land while flying. Probably not. If you crash your drone on park land it could become the property of the state or national government.
One state park in NEw Jersey have many birds ? nesting near a lighthouse. The local law is you cannot fly because it Will adversely impact the birds.

have fun in Florida.

Reactions: twickers14
In Canada, aside from the Federal (national) parks, each province (state) has its own variation on the rules, then within each Park there may also be further restrictions. I think you'll find this is the same in the USA.... Here's its about the wildlife mostly, but also respecting the people on the ground who are there for the peace of nature, etc. I suspect that would apply around the world pretty much by now.

Reactions: twickers14
Great selection of thoughts and input from you all, thank you. I’m just going to have to be sensible and use info to hand. Flew there last year and all was fine. Whether we'll get to Florida with this corona virus around I don’t know.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme