Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Gesture Mode Limitations

I don't know, but I'm not interested in trying to do that. I'm glad the joysticks work for you.....I'm happy with the virtual ones.
Well, if performing more than one maneuver at a time isn't important to you, then virtual joysticks are great. I like to have a little more control.

As mentioned, easy palm landing, hover near you, slide land bar, put your hand under and it gently lands in my hand. I love it.

Gesture mode lack of video and then low res photos are a major disappointment. If it doesn't get Litchi or AutoPilot support soon, it's completely redundant and inferior to the Mavic in all ways except size.

yeah I hear you! Since I did my first hand landing...that all I do... ..also take off... how did it go?
I did several hand landings and I'm getting more comfortable.....not as comfortable as with my Phantoms. I don't mind taking off from the ground because I can pick my spots better, but I dislike landing on the ground so much, I will continue to hand land.

Reactions: yo-dude
I mapped the C1 button to takeoff/landing. I just fly the Spark close to me, hit the button and grab it as it's descending. Works perfectly.

Reactions: yo-dude
I did several hand landings and I'm getting more comfortable.....not as comfortable as with my Phantoms. I don't mind taking off from the ground because I can pick my spots better, but I dislike landing on the ground so much, I will continue to hand land.

Yeah...I hear that with the phantoms easy to grab! yeah I don't land on the ground much at all any more. Happy Flyinng!

Boy, the instructions/info regarding the Spark are a bit confusing. I've watched the DJI tutorial several times regarding Gesture Mode and seem to have a problem. Following the directions and once the Spark has launched, performed its face and palm recognition, I do some movement gestures, then I wave at it, and it flys up and away a few feet. At that point the front LEDs are solid red. Then no matter what gesture I make the Spark just sits there. I have to grab the remote and pilot it from that point on.

Here's my start-up for Gesture mode;
1) Start Remote
2) Open Go App 4 (but I do not select "Enter Device"), its just up.
3) Connect or ensure my Ipad is connected to the Remote
4) Power up the Spark
5) I then follow the instructions for "Gesture mode" per the DJI official videos (It mostly works for palm take-off, palm landing, left, right, up, down)

The Official DJI Video says (I paraphrase) to have my smart device/remote ready if I need to take control in an emergency.

Wondering If I should have the Go App and/or the Remote completely off. But this doesn't make any sense cause if there is an emergency, the time it takes to power on the remote, bring up and connect to the Go App, and take control, the Spark could be far away or already crashed into whatever I was hoping to avoid...

Thoughts?

Boy, the instructions/info regarding the Spark are a bit confusing. I've watched the DJI tutorial several times regarding Gesture Mode and seem to have a problem. Following the directions and once the Spark has launched, performed its face and palm recognition, I do some movement gestures, then I wave at it, and it flys up and away a few feet. At that point the front LEDs are solid red. Then no matter what gesture I make the Spark just sits there. I have to grab the remote and pilot it from that point on.

Here's my start-up for Gesture mode;
1) Start Remote
2) Open Go App 4 (but I do not select "Enter Device"), its just up.
3) Connect or ensure my Ipad is connected to the Remote
4) Power up the Spark
5) I then follow the instructions for "Gesture mode" per the DJI official videos (It mostly works for palm take-off, palm landing, left, right, up, down)

The Official DJI Video says (I paraphrase) to have my smart device/remote ready if I need to take control in an emergency.

Wondering If I should have the Go App and/or the Remote completely off. But this doesn't make any sense cause if there is an emergency, the time it takes to power on the remote, bring up and connect to the Go App, and take control, the Spark could be far away or already crashed into whatever I was hoping to avoid...

Thoughts?
As you found, Gestures are basically worthless. Time to move on.

Reactions: 8BitSpark and Goose
Hmmm, if thats the case, I really don't see what benefits there are with the Spark over the Mavic.

As you found, Gestures are basically worthless. Time to move on.

Reactions: 8BitSpark
It has to recognize you from your background for this to work, if the Front LED's are red or blinking red it hasn't recognized you and you need to put your arms in the air in a Y shape for about 2 seconds or until they turn solid green, then it will start to track you. If you can't get it to recognize you be aware of the light, where it's shining, where shadows are, etc... Best results if you stare directly into the sun, arms up, until it recognizes you there, then you can do whatever with it. I had this problem my first flight but soon fixed it by positioning it so I would look at it and would have the sun in my face. It struggles A LOT when you turn your face and body into a shadowed position, so try to keep it in the light when using gesture controls, or fly when/where the sun is not directly on you, but still bright.
Mind you, I think the drone is sexist... ;) I was showing my girlfriend how to use all the controls and it recognized her hand and followed it Anywhere... Stick my hand up, nothing. It recognized it! But the second I tried to move it the thing would stand like a rock... Maybe budging an inch or two before giving up on me o_O Eventually I just let her position it for photos xD

I'm having trouble getting it to come back after the wave away. anyone else?

Works pretty well here. My only challenge is getting it to move right under palm control. I'm guessing when I move my right hand right, it see's my head as my palm and doesn't move. Moving right hand left works fine. Waving it away requires moving shoulder and elbow, not just wrist (that seems to be a common mistake I see people making), and works fine for me. Photo frame to take selfies works great. Y to return works great. Follow me works fine.

I spent some time practicing because the first few times I tried to show it off it didn't behave and was embarrassing! Now that the Spark and I know how to communicate (I follow the blinking lights to know its status), I'm pretty pleased with it. I'm finally comfortable launching without having a phone/RC connected to it. Hasn't failed me once (but took me a while to gain that confidence).

It has to recognize you from your background for this to work, if the Front LED's are red or blinking red it hasn't recognized you and you need to put your arms in the air in a Y shape for about 2 seconds or until they turn solid green, then it will start to track you. If you can't get it to recognize you be aware of the light, where it's shining, where shadows are, etc... Best results if you stare directly into the sun, arms up, until it recognizes you there, then you can do whatever with it. I had this problem my first flight but soon fixed it by positioning it so I would look at it and would have the sun in my face. It struggles A LOT when you turn your face and body into a shadowed position, so try to keep it in the light when using gesture controls, or fly when/where the sun is not directly on you, but still bright.
Mind you, I think the drone is sexist... ;) I was showing my girlfriend how to use all the controls and it recognized her hand and followed it Anywhere... Stick my hand up, nothing. It recognized it! But the second I tried to move it the thing would stand like a rock... Maybe budging an inch or two before giving up on me o_O Eventually I just let her position it for photos xD
In general I think Gestures are unreliable. My grandkids enjoy them when they work, but nothing I would rely on. I think the biggest problem is when you're unable to Beckon. Spark is up 15ft in the air and unless you get your controller or phone out, you just have to wait for the battery to die so it will land.

This may help some of those who are new to DJI drones like the Spark....

HOW TO CATCH THE DRONE WITH YOUR HAND WHEN IN NORMAL MODE:

Bring it in for a landing. Hover it with the side or rear facing you. Place your hand under it and pull down the left joystick. When you pull down the left joystick the SPARK checks for objects under it. If something is near, within a couple of feet, it goes automatically into landing mode. If you don't pull the left joystick down then it will think there is an obstacle below and it will fly upward. Either have it land in your hand or, like I do, just catch it with your fingers (wrap your fingers around the belly in the same way you hold it when the motors are not running). Keep holding the left joystick down and the motors will immediately shut down after touch your hand or fingers.

This may help some of those who are new to DJI drones like the Spark....

HOW TO CATCH THE DRONE WITH YOUR HAND WHEN IN NORMAL MODE:

Bring it in for a landing. Hover it with the side or rear facing you. Place your hand under it and pull down the left joystick. When you pull down the left joystick the SPARK checks for objects under it. If something is near, within a couple of feet, it goes automatically into landing mode. If you don't pull the left joystick down then it will think there is an obstacle below and it will fly upward. Either have it land in your hand or, like I do, just catch it with your fingers (wrap your fingers around the belly in the same way you hold it when the motors are not running). Keep holding the left joystick down and the motors will immediately shut down after touch your hand or fingers.
If you're controlling Spark from a cellphone or tablet, after you position Spark near you about shoulder high, press the Landing icon on the screen and swipe the solid bar. Place your hand, palm up, under Spark and it will gently land in your palm. Caution, keep your fingers out of the props. The motors will stop automatically.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vdbnoe