Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Gesture Mode Limitations

redrydermedia

Join
Jun 22, 2017
Ive had several problems with Gesture Mode.

First, without a controller, Gesture Mode has been very unreliable for me. I can launch and take selfies, but the other gestures don't seem to work.....or have been VERY unreliable for me.

Second, the only way I've had any luck with gestures has been when I use my iPad for control. I can select the controller icon and then Gestures, and I've had MUCH more reliable results. Don't understand why, but that approach produces better results for me.

Third, if I have to use my iPad for control, why use gestures? The photo quality is inferior using Gestures. If I have to use my iPad to get Gestures to work, I might as well just pilot a Spark manually and snap better quality photos.

I think I'm done with Gestures.

Last edited:
Ive had several problems with Gesture Mode.

First, without a controller, Gesture Mode has been very unreliable for me. I can launch and take selfies, but the other gestures don't seem to work.....or have been VERY unreliable for me.

Secone, the only way I've had any luck with gestures has been when I use my iPad for control. I can select the controller icon and then Gestures, and I've had MUCH more reliable results. Don't understand why, but that approach produces better results for me.

Third, if I have to use my iPad for control, why use gestures? The photo quality is inferior to the photos using Gestures. If I have to use my iPad to get Gestures to work, I might as well just pilot a Spark manually and snap better quality photos.

I think I done with Gestures.

That was my experience at first. By practicing while watching the front LEDs carefully I was able to get consistent results. Then when I looked on the SD card and found the shots were all postage stamps with random blurry areas, I said the same thing as you. Gestures are pointless, which for me made $760 for a Spark pointless.

Reactions: tycrek
I agree there has been disappointment in learning that Gesture Mode doesn't allow video and now not even hi-res photos. I still find Gesture Mode beneficial in some landing situations, but I don't disagree with the sentiment that Gesture Mode was a gimmick.

Like any new technology I'm sure there is more to come with this Gesture Mode, just hope it is in new firmware updates for Spark. Not convinced of that however.

I definitely use gesture mode for takeoff and landing a lot. Most of my flight is definitely with RC.

Yes, agree. I was hoping that the RC would be optional with this Spark, but for safety, reliability, distance, and best images it is required. It's a cool little bird, and a bunch of batteries take up so little space and weight. Makes it great for traveling light.

Yes, agree. I was hoping that the RC would be optional with this Spark, but for complete safety and to get the most out of this cool little bird it is required.
I'm happy with my iPad. I actually like the virtual joysticks better than the real joysticks. Personal preference.....for me it's easier to rest my thumbs on the screen and they stay in place.

I'll have to try that more. I've mostly been flying with RC close to the house in tight spaces lately as it's been so rainy. I also want to fly it more in sport as my short loops in that mode are just FUN!

Using iPad does spoil you pretty quick with it's large format and readability of screen options. I had a iPad Mini #1 with the Mavic Pro last year and while it worked the latency was awful, so upgraded to iPad Mini 4.

Reactions: yo-dude
I'll have to try that more. I've mostly been flying with RC close to the house in tight spaces lately as it's been so rainy. I also want to fly it more in sport as my short loops in that mode are just FUN!

Using iPad does spoil you pretty quick with it's large format and readability of screen options. I had a iPad Mini #1 with the Mavic Pro last year and while it worked the latency was awful, so upgraded to iPad Mini 4.

Sport mode still terrifies me some because of the way the view jerks. I've never flown any really fast fpv racers or anything like that so I'm sure I'm just not used to it.

I don't shoot video when I use Sport Mode in these quick sessions for that reason. It's just for fun!

I agree there has been disappointment in learning that Gesture Mode doesn't allow video and now not even hi-res photos. I still find Gesture Mode beneficial in some landing situations, but I don't disagree with the sentiment that Gesture Mode was a gimmick.

Like any new technology I'm sure there is more to come with this Gesture Mode, just hope it is in new firmware updates for Spark. Not convinced of that however.

I almost feel like the take-off and landing with your hand shouldn't be considered part of "gesture mode" since it doesn't involve any gestures. I can't see any reason why they shouldn't add that functionality to every quad with down-facing sensors.

Actual gesture commands sans controller are what's unique to the Spark. Ironically, so far most people don't trust it enough to fly that way, and the images it produces when it does are pitiful.

So, basically, anyone looking for the Spark to be an additional tool in their toolbox will find that the one unique capability it offers is woefully underwhelming.

Whereas having the Spark be the only tool in your toolbox is probably just fine.

I almost feel like the take-off and landing with your hand shouldn't be considered part of "gesture mode" since it doesn't involve any gestures. I can't see any reason why they shouldn't add that functionality to every quad with down-facing sensors.

Actual gesture commands sans controller are what's unique to the Spark. Ironically, so far most people don't trust it enough to fly that way, and the images it produces when it does are pitiful.

So, basically, anyone looking for the Spark to be an additional tool in their toolbox will find that the one unique capability it offers is woefully underwhelming.

Whereas having the Spark be the only tool in your toolbox is probably just fine.
I have a Phantom 3 and Phantom 2......I've always caught the Phantoms in my hand. I would fly it close, and with it stationary, reach out and grab one leg with my right hand and shut the motors off with my left. I felt very comfortable and safe doing that even without propguards because the Phantom was stationary.

Spark is different. You reach out and Spark moves into your hand. I'm much less comfortable with that! I need to see if I can leave Spark stationary and move my hand under Spark, and grab it and have the motors shutdown. That would probably be more comfortable for me.....I need to go try that.

I'm back.....Ok, that didn't work. If I approach Spark from the front, the proximity sensor sounds the alarm. When I approach from the rear, Spark flies upward about a foot when I put my hand under it. I think I would prefer if it just stayed stationary and shut the motors off after it sees my hand grab it. I don't think hand catching works without entering gesture mode.

Last edited:
I have a Phantom 3 and Phantom 2......I've always caught the Phantoms in my hand. I would fly it close, and with it stationary, reach out and grab one leg with my right hand and shut the motors off with my left. I felt very comfortable and safe doing that even without propguards because the Phantom was stationary.

Spark is different. You reach out and Spark moves into your hand. I'm much less comfortable with that! I need to see if I can leave Spark stationary and move my hand under Spark, and grab it and have the motors shutdown. That would probably be more comfortable for me.....I need to go try that.

I'm back.....Ok, that didn't work. If I approach Spark from the front, the proximity sensor sounds the alarm. When I approach from the rear, Spark flies upward about a foot when I put my hand under it. I think I would prefer if it just stayed stationary and shut the motors off after it sees my hand grab it. I don't think hand catching works without entering gesture mode.

I have!
If you're not in gesture mode it fights with all it has, and I couldn't get it to shut down with the controller so I had to yank off the battery.

One more thing. If you take it out of gesture with the controller and then put it back in, it won't hand land UNLESS you execute one of the other gestures first.

I think the best way to hand land after flying with the controller or in my case with my iPad, is to enter gesture mode with my iPad. I selected the controller icon, then selected the gesture icon. The gesture icon appears on the camera screen with a large '?' next to it. Select the ? And a series of options are presented. One is PalmLand. Select that and some helpful graphics appear. When you stand in front and place your hand under Spark, it lands in your open palm.

I'm not as comfortable with that was I am hand catching my Phantom, but it appears to be the only option. I would prefer if Spark stayed stationary and I put my hand under and raised my hand until I contacted Spark and it shutdown.

Attachments

• IMG_7947.PNG
    IMG_7947.PNG
    322.8 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_7948.PNG
    IMG_7948.PNG
    467.2 KB · Views: 32
I think the best way to hand land after flying with the controller or in my case with my iPad, is to enter gesture mode with my iPad. I selected the controller icon, then selected the gesture icon. The gesture icon appears on the camera screen with a large '?' next to it. Select the ? And a series of options are presented. One is PalmLand. Select that and some helpful graphics appear. When you stand in front and place your hand under Spark, it lands in your open palm.

I'm not as comfortable with that was I am hand catching my Phantom, but it appears to be the only option. I would prefer if Spark stayed stationary and I put my hand under and raised my hand until I contacted Spark and it shutdown.

OR you could just hit the land button, slide the slider, and put your hand under it. Voila!

Last edited:
....I actually like the virtual joysticks better than the real joysticks.
Sorry. You lost me on that one. Let me know how you can rise, bank left, and move the gimbal at the same time with virtual sticks, and I'll give it a go.

Sorry. You lost me on that one. Let me know how you can rise, bank left, and move the gimbal at the same time with virtual sticks, and I'll give it a go.
I don't know, but I'm not interested in trying to do that. I'm glad the joysticks work for you.....I'm happy with the virtual ones.

Different strokes for different folks. I appreciate @redryermedia sharing your positive experiences with the virtual joysticks. It's something I haven't used much as a newbie. I'm getting used to the real sticks, but will give the virtual sticks a shot as well to test them out. Nice to have both options for different situations.

Gesture mode is definitely a mode that was a big deciding factor for me, but Im hoping it was rushed out and a update should tweak it to work properly. Coincidentally my first crash happened this weekend. Had my friends come over my work and while we were inside I was showing them palm control and as soon as it launced it slowly went left on to a wall and boom. But built like a rock so still good.

Reactions: Chris Zeller
Yes, they're much more crashable than the Mavic Pro since they are so solid and yet lightweight. I had an oops moment inside as well and with the prop guards on the only damage was some scuffing of the props.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme