Welcome DJI Spark Pilot!
Jump in and join our free Spark community today!

Gesture selphie not working...

Oliver Scott

Join
Jul 4, 2017
I took my Spark to the beach the other day and did a Palm Launch and it tracked my Palm fine. But I then did the wave and it moved away from me so I tried the "Frame Gesture" but nothing happened. I didn't get any flashing lights to indicate it was taking anything and when I looked at the gallery through my iPad there were no selphies. This was a very bright day so no issues with lighting.

Okay just found a report from a user online that you can't just Palm Launch and take a selphie. You need to be connected to the Go 4 app and be in active track. This is not as advertised by DJI! I'm getting increasingly frustrated in the difference between what can actually be done with the Spark compared to what they show in their fancy advertisements.

Reactions: puffert
The way you describe worked for me.
  • Palm launch
  • Track with palm
  • Bye-bye
  • Track me
  • Frame gesture
I got pictures. Never sure when the picture will be really taken but the status lamps should tell it, just not use it that often
This without the GO app or RC connected.

I think that the critical point is that it use its camera to detect the gesture (obvious) but there is a minimum contrast needed between you palm and the background that is needed. Also light could impact it. The frame gesture seems to me the most delicate to work. It works 7 out of 10 times.

Not true. I've launched, gotten into Selfie mode, moved it away from me, taken selfies, recalled it, and hand landed it all without having the GO app on. You have to ensure the Spark sees your movements and acknowledges them with the blinking lights.

Now with all that said. I did have problems initially and I'm not sure if it was me or the Spark, but with zero changes, everything works the way it should the second time out. Initially mine would fly backwards to the "bye" position and just sit there. I couldn't get it to take pictures or return with the "Y" gesture. It would just hover there. I had to turn on my Go app and pilot it manually down. Again, I'm not sure if it was me and my gestures or what. But since then, its worked fine everytime...

You only need the Go App to put it in Gesture mode if everything is already turned on. I've done that before. Flown around then put it in gesture mode.

Okay just found a report from a user online that you can't just Palm Launch and take a selphie. You need to be connected to the Go 4 app and be in active track. This is not as advertised by DJI! I'm getting increasingly frustrated in the difference between what can actually be done with the Spark compared to what they show in their fancy advertisements.

Not true. I've launched, gotten into Selfie mode, moved it away from me, taken selfies, recalled it, and hand landed it all without having the GO app on. You have to ensure the Spark sees your movements and acknowledges them with the blinking lights.

Now with all that said. I did have problems initially and I'm not sure if it was me or the Spark, but with zero changes, everything works the way it should the second time out. Initially mine would fly backwards to the "bye" position and just sit there. I couldn't get it to take pictures or return with the "Y" gesture. It would just hover there. I had to turn on my Go app and pilot it manually down. Again, I'm not sure if it was me and my gestures or what. But since then, its worked fine everytime...

You only need the Go App to put it in Gesture mode if everything is already turned on. I've done that before. Flown around then put it in gesture mode.
I think your experience is very common. Gestures work sometimes and not other times. Unreliable enough to make it useless in my opinion.

I tried setting up gesture mode with the sun behind me, and it kept failing the facial recognition part. I moved so that the sun was to my side, and then it worked fine, which leads me to believe that Sparky had trouble if it can't see you.

I played around some more last night, and I found I could launch, move it back a few feet and then take a selfie.

I think it just takes a little practice and being able to read what the lights on the drone are telling you.

I still cringe a little on take off and landing with those blades spinning so close.

The Spark can do a lot, but it's best to practice in large area with no one around.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csdisme